Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Void Linux is an alternative operating system to Debian, OpenBSD, and Mac OS X on the PowerPC platform. It is an independent distribution free from dependency of any other OS. It is also a stability-focused rolling release, which means that all packages are not only always fresh and new, but also tested stable and robust. Instead of the resource-heavy systemd, Void uses a derivative of initd called runit, which is a lightning-fast script-based daemon service and init system. It also uses its own special package manager called XBPS, built from the ground up to be extremely fast and very flexible. It has commonly been described to behave as a hybrid of Linux and BSD by users of both.

As they ever were and will always continue to be, contributions to this Wiki are not only appreciated greatly, but are also very much encouraged. Contributions to this Wiki (and anything in general) are not just excellent, but highly excellent and are almost always the only things proven to render the difference between platform prosperity and platform obscurity, no matter the niche within any field.

Thank you for your time!

Click a category to get started, and also feel free to browse the Void Linux for PowerPC discussion.

CLI + GUI GPUs

[ placeholder ] https://docs.voidlinux-ppc.org/configuration/graphics.html [ placeholder ]

CLI Only GPUs

-
Install Guide

Get the latest images here.

[ placeholder ] https://docs.voidlinux-ppc.org/installation/live-images/guide.html [ placeholder ]

Congratulations! The system has been successfully installed!
Post Install Guide

[ placeholder ] https://docs.voidlinux-ppc.org/configuration/post-installation.html [ placeholder ]
[ placeholder ] https://docs.voidlinux-ppc.org/configuration/apple.html [ placeholder ]
[ placeholder ] Block ads and 3rd party cookies system-wide (no browser extension needed) [ placeholder ]
Desktop Environments

Xfce
Install: xbps-install xfce (?)
Requirements: G3, 256mb RAM

LXQt
Install: xbps-install lxqt (?)
Requirements: G4, 512mb RAM

MATE
Install: xbps-install mate (?)
Requirements: G4, 512mb RAM

KDE

Install: xbps-install kde (?)
Requirements: G5, 1gb RAM

GNOME

Install: xbps-install gnome (?)
Requirements: G5, 2gb RAM
Window Managers

i3
Install: xbps-install i3
Requirements: G3, 128mb RAM

Openbox

Install: xbps-install openbox

IceWM

Install: xbps-install icewm

Window Maker

Install: xbps-install windowmaker (?)
Web Browsers

Links
Install: xbps-install links
Requirements: G3, 128mb RAM
Notes:
Very functional CLI-only Web browser. Continually updated. Consult 'man links' for more details.

NetSurf
Install: xbps-install netsurf
Notes: Install netsurf-fb for another CLI web browser. Consult 'man netsurf-gtk' for more details.

Surf
Install: xbps-install surf
Requirements: G3, 512mb RAM
Notes: Lightweight WebKit-based browser that is started from a terminal by entering 'surf' followed by the desired website. Consult 'man surf' for more details.

Firefox ESR
Install: xbps-install firefox-esr
Requirements: G4, 1gb RAM
Notes: Version 68 confirmed working on ppc64. Status unknown on ppc. Consult 'man firefox' for more details.

Arctic Fox and SpiderWeb 64-bit BE (glibc version)
Requirements: G5, 1gb RAM

Arctic Fox info and download is here
SpiderWeb info and download is here

Arctic Fox 32-bit (glibc version)
Requirements: G3/G4, 512mb RAM
Notes:
xbps-install dpkg, then install with: sudo dpkg -i /path/to/arcticfox.deb

Download here
Performance

Issues

-

- - - - - - - - - -

Further inquiries may be answered by visiting
Enjoy Your OS!

void logo
OpenBSD | The OpenBSD Wiki

OpenBSD is a lighter and simpler OS than Void Linux. It is generally even regarded as the most secure operating system in the world.

-

Debian | The PowerPC Debian Wiki

Debian is a heavier and more complex OS than Void Linux. However, it currently boasts a wider range of compatible software.

This is a public Wiki -
Please contribute if you know something about Void Linux that can make people's lives easier.
Thank you.

Last edited:

z970

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2017
Public Service Announcement:

Guys, you're going to have to take this one over wherever you feel applicable (like how I did with @swamprock's Sid walkthrough). I no longer have the time, interest, or machine numbers to dedicate to finishing this Wiki like I previously could with Debian and OpenBSD, and I know that there are at this point more people here a lot more familiar with the Void PPC port than I am, or likely will be in the near future.

I'll still try to add a couple things in when I can, and I want to see the Void port as prosperous as Debian has been (hopefully before the Ubuntu 16.04 updates cease in 2021), but I won't be able to get it there alone.

Thank you for your time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.