Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How did you find the weight increase from a non-Pro iPhone to the Pro-Max?

• Turnoff - Went or will go back to a 6.1" iPhone

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • I got used to it - Will continue with a Pro-Max on the next iPhone release

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • No Issue at all - Pro-Max for life

Votes: 11 30.6%

• Total voters

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I may have an opportunity to grab an iPhone 15 Pro-Max, but have never used a 6.7" Pro iPhone.

Coming from an X & 13 (non-Pro), i'm interested in the opinions of those who have recently gone from a non-Pro iPhone to a Pro-Max, to see if the weight increase was a turnoff, something they got used to over time, or no issue at all?

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
The weight difference is noticeable but you can get used to it by holding the phone differently to how you would a lighter iphone.

Pro phones have high resale value. Therefore, trading down will be easy if you change your mind.

Reactions: Ralfi

Tinkerbellaa22

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2019
I've had the plus/max sized phones since they became available and loved it at first but now I'm done with it and will be pre ordering the 15 Pro tomorrow.

The extra screen space is nice but the max size phones are just too big and heavy (also takes up too much space in bags or barely fits inside pockets).

I don't know how some people have expressed their interest for a phone bigger than 6.7!

I won't have an issue with going down to a smaller screen because that is not something that would bother me and I'm happy for the slightly smaller phone.

• Love
Reactions: tekksan and Ralfi

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I don't know how some people have expressed their interest for a phone bigger than 6.7!
I can only assume they don't need to carry it around in their pockets all day?

I, on the other hand, am mobile during my day & would carry the phone in my pockets often, so would probably notice the weight increase more than most, if there was a significant increase.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
I can only assume they don't need to carry it around in their pockets all day?

I, on the other hand, am mobile during my day & would carry the phone in my pockets often, so would probably notice the weight increase more than most, if there was a significant increase.
Don’t do it then, pro will be way better if you do that.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Hoping to get more poll results. So far, more are reverting to 6.1”. I wonder if having smaller hands influences people from being turned off by the Pro-Max, or if weight is the main issue?

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
The weight might be better now, but if you aren't used to it or want the bigger screen, stick with the smaller one. I have been using bigger one since available, but most hate the weight and size.

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
May 28, 2023
Hard to say. I always had the Pro and got the 14 Max as my first max phone. It feels like a brick, but I got used to it at this point. But still a bit annoyed by the weight mostly because I can feel it when I put into my jacket for example - it just ways the pockets down. With case and all my Max is almost at 290g

But the battery life is just amazing this is why I can not go back to a normal Pro as much as I would like.

risenphoenixkai

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
I went from an iPhone X to an iPhone 12 Pro Max back in 2020. The weight difference was definitely noticeable, and even uncomfortable at first.

It didn’t help that I had the additional weight of a case on the 12PM; I never used cases on earlier phones, but the 12PM felt too slippery and sharp-edged not to get one.

I got used to the weight after a few weeks, and I barely notice it now. I’ll be ordering a 15 Pro Max in a little over 7 hours, heh.

vseera

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2011
Unpopular opinion here, but I really dislike the weight distribution on the normal Pro. It feels like more of a brick to me than the Pro Max, which is heavier but the weight feels more distributed.

I’ve also had a 13 Mini and for me, the ideal sizes are either the Mini or the Pro Max. The in between sizes (Pro) are just a little unwieldy, heavy so you still need 2 hands most of the time and also not big enough to type as easily as the Max. Plus, I’m so used to the battery life of my 14PM, not sure I can go back (sadly).

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
May 28, 2023
Unpopular opinion here, but I really dislike the weight distribution on the normal Pro. It feels like more of a brick to me than the Pro Max, which is heavier but the weight feels more distributed.

I’ve also had a 13 Mini and for me, the ideal sizes are either the Mini or the Pro Max. The in between sizes (Pro) are just a little unwieldy, heavy so you still need 2 hands most of the time and also not big enough to type as easily as the Max. Plus, I’m so used to the battery life of my 14PM, not sure I can go back (sadly).

Same with battery... I can never go back from a Max (Plus) phone. The battery life was so poor on the Pro which I always had before. And from looking at Apple comparison they didnt change a thing about it sadly.

Waltagon

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2019
I’m torn between the pro and pro max. I currently have a 12. I don’t mind the smaller size but the issue I have is typing accuracy using one hand. I’m always making errors. I have big hands. Wondering whether the max will help with typing or make it worse.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Same with battery... I can never go back from a Max (Plus) phone. The battery life was so poor on the Pro which I always had before. And from looking at Apple comparison they didnt change a thing about it sadly.
I’m curious now, do the 6.1” Pro‘s have better battery life than the 6.1” non-Pro (just to compare my current phone to the 6.1” 15 Pro)….Can’t access the Apple Store to compare right now…
I’m torn between the pro and pro max. I currently have a 12. I don’t mind the smaller size but the issue I have is typing accuracy using one hand. I’m always making errors. I have big hands. Wondering whether the max will help with typing or make it worse.

For me, typing on the Pro Max has been way easier and more accurate than on any smaller sized phone.

Do you guys use swiping to type? I find it‘s a great workaround for smaller screens.

EDIT…

Poll is closer than I thought - currently 7 to 6 in favour of keeping the Max. Thought the keepers would be much higher.

Reactions: Waltagon

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
May 28, 2023
Can’t really relay on what’s apple telling you on their website. According to them the Plus should have worse battery then the Max. But in all the test videos the Plus was always better or the same at least

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Was able to access comparison stats on the Apple website…

IMG_0785.jpeg

So battery is a non-issue for me, whether I go for the 6.1” or 6.7” Pro 15 model, as I’m regularly charging my 13 throughout the day & on average have 65-70% battery by the end of the day.

Weight will still be the main consideration for me between the two different 15 Pro models.

Waltagon

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2019
Do you guys use swiping to type? I find it‘s a great workaround for smaller screens.
On and off. I find swiping to text a little unnatural TBH and tend to forget it. Maybe I'm just too old lol. I'm sure it's second nature to the kids.

• Haha

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
On and off. I find swiping to text a little unnatural TBH and tend to forget it. Maybe I'm just too old lol. I'm sure it's second nature to the kids.
I’m no kid myself (Gen X) hehe. Many years ago, I started using a third party keyboard (Swype) & have appreciated the accuracy of such keyboards improving over time. When Apple finally added the swipe function to their keyboard, I was always going to emigrate to it.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

This is great advice and the way I feel. It’s mini or max for me. Outside of the mini, everything is a two handed device for me.

I liked the max, but it made me realize it’s more important to have a pocketable phone that I can easily use 1 handed.

OP, figure out what’s more important for you, portability or battery/screen size.

Reactions: vseera

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Just did a very scientific experiment.

Compared the weight of my 13 (173g + case) to a phone sized container of Parmesan cheese which I filled up to ~228g (allowing for the additional weight of a case).

IMG_0792.jpeg

To my surprise, the weight difference wasn’t noticeable!

I have a feeling I’ve cracked the code here.

Or maybe I should walk into an Apple Store & compare the pair there instead.
😏😂

Reactions: wnyc1 and JWorld127

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Was able to hold the two 15 Pro models today (without any distracting security cables/devices) & was amazed at how light the 15 PM is. It felt lighter than my current 6.1” 13. Shocking that Titanium’s made such an impact.

Also the Natural looked better in the flesh, but I still like the Blue.

Attachments

• IMG_7313.jpeg
    IMG_7313.jpeg
    513.3 KB · Views: 67

JWorld127

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Just did a very scientific experiment.

Compared the weight of my 13 (173g + case) to a phone sized container of Parmesan cheese which I filled up to ~228g (allowing for the additional weight of a case).

View attachment 2264336

To my surprise, the weight difference wasn’t noticeable!

I have a feeling I’ve cracked the code here.

Or maybe I should walk into an Apple Store & compare the pair there instead.
😏😂
This was good...i chuckled

• Haha

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I’m still undecided 😂. No rush for me, so I’m visiting phone stores & demoing any 6.7” iPhone I can find (without those ridiculous security cords/locks). The more I can grip the thing & test it in a range of pant pockets, the more confident a decision I can make heh.

I‘m finding my ‘medium’ sized hand/fingers are able to adapt & grip the Plus/Max iPhones with one hand & still reach the top, & the weight doesn’t seem as bad as first thought…Could be getting used to it in my short demos, but the more I test it, the better…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.