Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Robot Cow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Central California
A little about myself I'm 21 in college and i consider myself a technology enthusiast. What's caught my attention the most in recent times is smartphones. When the first iphone came out i thought it was the most amazing thing and how it was almost a computer right in your hands. When i finally got around to being able to get my own smartphone i chose a motorola droid 2, why? It just seemed to be the best out there at the time and since then i've learned alot about the good and bad about android. What swayed me to get an android at first was the level of customization and the whole robot theme the verizon droid phones had. Fast forward now i own a galaxy nexus but there has something that has been bugging me about android. It seems that i always had to root and flash rom to get the phone to my liking.

To this day i have flashed many roms to my nexus and i have yet to find one that i like 100%. To be honest I was never really an iPhone fan but with the new iPhone 5 i think its time that i jump ship. I love the design of the phone, from what i've seen it looks to run super smooth(maybe a bit smoother than my nexus running jelly bean) and maybe it's what i've been searching for in a smartphone.

Does it mean that i've given up on android? Of course not. I love how the os has been coming along and i'm interested on how it'll continue to evolve. I don't think there is a superior os, each has their advantages and disadvantages its just which one we like. I love how both android and ios continue to push with new features and are getting closer to replacing my computer all together. I like the competition between android and ios but i hate these silly patent law suits. If android's jelly bean and ios 6 are this awesome i wonder how they'll be in a couple years.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Sounds like you like to customize your phones. I do too. Will you be jailbreaking your iPhone 5 whenever a jailbreak becomes available?

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Here's the Android vs. iPhone debate from my point of view:

iOS is a locked down, beginner's OS with little potential for advancement and innovation.

Android is an open source, advanced user OS with limitless potential for advancement and innovation.

Neither of them are perfect, but only one of them is clearly the way to go if you want to have real control over your phone.

BrianMayFan123

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2012
West Midlands, UK
I'm with you on that Robot Cow.
I too value the various pros/cons of iOS and Android but I sit more on the android side of the fence.

Like you I have a Galaxy Nexus and I absolutely love it. the pure android experience is everything I could want. as an OS, its perfect. In fact the only thing about that phone specifically I'm not happy ab out is the battery life, but thats not something the iPhone improves on in my opinion.

I have an iPad 2, and if the need arose for me to purchase another tablet, I would happily get an Android powered device.

In the end, it all comes down to personal preference and your computing/mobile needs.

To some people the amount of choice and variation in Android phones/tablets is enough to put them off, so the next logical choice is Apple products. For me, the endless choices simply gives me the power.
I'll choose the phone I want, not what some committee decides people will want.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Like you I have a Galaxy Nexus and I absolutely love it. the pure android experience is everything I could want. as an OS, its perfect. In fact the only thing about that phone specifically I'm not happy ab out is the battery life, but thats not something the iPhone improves on in my opinion.
The Nexus is known for having a weaker battery. It's fine for anybody who charges their phone every night but otherwise, not for others. I'm fine with it though. I'm sure you can sell the phone for a quick 250 and buy the Galaxy Nexus 2 which will probably have a much nicer battery.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Here's the Android vs. iPhone debate from my point of view:

iOS is a locked down, mature, polished OS with little need for advancement and innovation.

Android is an open source OS that requires significant tinkering by an advanced user to get it to try to reach its potential for advancement and innovation.

Neither of them are perfect, but only one of them is clearly the way to go if you don't want to spend endless hours with your phone to get it to work as you need it to.

There you go, I fixed that for you.

In all seriousness, I don't have any hate for Android, been using Jelly Bean on and off since July and it is certainly capable. I just prefer iOS because it's like plug and play with my household full of Apple gear and while I love tech and gadgets, I just don't have the time to spend playing with my phone OS to get it to do everything I'd like it to do.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
I just prefer iOS because it's like plug and play with my household full of Apple gear
Just because your house looks like an Apple store doesn't mean iOS is any better for anybody but you. Android is for people who want their phone to work with whatever they want, not just Apple gear.

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
My biggest problem with android phones is that you have to rely on the community to fix your problems because there is little to no support elsewhere because the manufacturers are already working on their next phone.

At first I really liked being able to root my phone and put custom roms on it. But then what it came down to is that I shouldn't HAVE to do that to have a phone that just works without freezing up all the time. I had the Samsung Moment and then the Samsung Epic and both were just so buggy...

Android has had many releases since then...but I want a phone that just works. I also like that my iPhone 4s is going to get the latest os and that Apple doesn't just abandon it after 6 months.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Just because your house looks like an Apple store doesn't mean iOS is any better for anybody but you. Android is for people who want their phone to work with whatever they want, not just Apple gear.

You'll notice that I stated it was MY preference and it works best for ME--never said everyone one else should use it. I was admittedly having a bit of fun with your post, but thought I'd made it clear with my 'In all seriousness..' statement. Sorry if it worked you into a lather.

Let me ask Calidude, why are you here? Yes, you have as much right as me or anyone else but why does someone with so much obvious disdain for the iPhone and most thing Apple spend so much time in a forum dedicated to Apple products? You've created 21 threads since the beginning of August, 15 of which are in the Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices forums and most are of an anti-Apple or anti-iDevice in nature. You speak of iOS users as if we're mindless idiots and unless you use Android, you cannot be intelligent.

What possibly could be your motivation other than to troll these boards? Serious, I'm genuinely curious what is the attraction?

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I like the competition and the innovation pushing from each side, but iOS is still far better in my eyes. They are entirely different, though, and appeal to very different crowds.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
You'll notice that I stated it was MY preference and it works best for ME--never said everyone one else should use it. I was admittedly having a bit of fun with your post, but thought I'd made it clear with my 'In all seriousness..' statement. Sorry if it worked you into a lather.

Let me ask Calidude, why are you here? Yes, you have as much right as me or anyone else but why does someone with so much obvious disdain for the iPhone and most thing Apple spend so much time in a forum dedicated to Apple products? You've created 21 threads since the beginning of August, 15 of which are in the Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices forums and most are of an anti-Apple or anti-iDevice in nature. You speak of iOS users as if we're mindless idiots and unless you use Android, you cannot be intelligent.

What possibly could be your motivation other than to troll these boards? Serious, I'm genuinely curious what is the attraction?
1) I'm here because I was an iPhone user for years now. See my registration date? I've only been an Android user since June of this year.
2) I'm in the alternatives forum. How can I be trolling if I'm mostly in here?
3) I like to talk to people like me who used to have an iPhone but switched. Makes for a more interesting conversation than somebody who is pro-Android or pro-Apple. I am pro-anything that works the best for advanced users like myself.
4) I have absolutely no problem with anybody using the iPhone. I think people who don't know much about computers or smartphones should use it. I just think it's disingenuous to say, as many people do, that the iPhone is the most advanced phone when it can't even do most of what OSX can do when iOS is based on OSX.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
iOS is like a very well behaved catholic girl that goes to church every Sunday.

Android is like a promiscuous slut that does everything.

Easy to work out which one is more reliable, and which one is more fun.

Nand

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
San Juan
1) i'm here because i was an iphone user for years now. See my registration date? I've only been an android user since june of this year.
2) i'm in the alternatives forum. How can i be trolling if i'm mostly in here?
3) i like to talk to people like me who used to have an iphone but switched. Makes for a more interesting conversation than somebody who is pro-android or pro-apple. I am pro-anything that works the best for advanced users like myself.
4) i have absolutely no problem with anybody using the iphone. I think people who don't know much about computers or smartphones should use it. I just think it's disingenuous to say, as many people do, that the iphone is the most advanced phone when it can't even do most of what osx can do when ios is based on osx.

5)Bash iPhone
i bash iphone but really, any phone could do this with the right chipset. This thread is just...blah.

Last edited:

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
iOS is like a very well behaved catholic girl that goes to church every Sunday.

Android is like a promiscuous slut that does everything.

Easy to work out which one is more reliable, and which one is more fun.
Most iOS users will prefer a slut over a religious girl. Just saying.

----------

5)Bash iPhone
There's a lot of people who bash Android here. What's your point?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
1) I'm here because I was an iPhone user for years now. See my registration date? I've only been an Android user since June of this year.
2) I'm in the alternatives forum. How can I be trolling if I'm mostly in here?
3) I like to talk to people like me who used to have an iPhone but switched. Makes for a more interesting conversation than somebody who is pro-Android or pro-Apple. I am pro-anything that works the best for advanced users like myself.
4) I have absolutely no problem with anybody using the iPhone. I think people who don't know much about computers or smartphones should use it. I just think it's disingenuous to say, as many people do, that the iPhone is the most advanced phone when it can't even do most of what OSX can do when iOS is based on OSX.

Fair enough. But see, there you go again, 'I have absolutely no problem with anybody using the iPhone. I think people who don't know much about computers or smartphones should use it.', why the condescending tone? I'd hazard a guess that just about EVERYONE nowadays spends some amount of time, at least weekly on a computer and now more people than not use a smartphone. I'm not an IT professional or programmer but far more than just competent when using a computer or smartphone but you basically just called me an idiot for choosing iOS. I know how to unlock the boatloader on my Nexus, root it and flash ROMs. I chose iOS because I don't have to do all of that to get it to work as I need it. I've been messing around with my GNex since July and it still isn't where I'd like it to be.

You like to spend time adjusting ever detail so it's just right--great, glad there's an option for you. My kids, wife, job, house, etc doesn't leave me much free time to spend customizing my phone (and no, not saying you don't have a busy life, just illustrating from my perspective). Point is most people, even intelligent ones, don't necessarily want the most complicated option, however more capable it can potentially be.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
F I'm not an IT professional or programmer but far more than just competent when using a computer or smartphone but you basically just called me an idiot for choosing iOS.
Are you really going to claim I said that? Honestly? Dramatic much?

All I've ever said is that iPhone is only for certain kinds of people.

Point is most people, even intelligent ones, don't necessarily want the most complicated option, however more capable it can potentially be.
Let's be honest here. It's not that Android is more complicated to use, it's that Android simply has more you can do with it for those who want to do more with their phone.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011

I believe if you add 'jailbreaking' then this is not really true.

Or seen from the 'other' side, how many Android users do really root their phone?

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010

Or seen from the 'other' side, how many Android users do really root their phone?
Rooting is pretty rare, but its easier to do than jailbreaking. I'd say only 1 in 10 Android users root.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Are you really going to claim I said that? Honestly? Dramatic much?

Dude, i'm not claiming anything, I provided your exact quote. Your certain kinds of people were, 'people who don't know much about computers or smartphones'.

Let's be honest here. It's not that Android is more complicated to use, it's that Android simply has more you can do with it for those who want to do more with their phone.

Agreed.

----------

Rooting is pretty rare, but its easier to do than jailbreaking. I'd say only 1 in 10 Android users root.

Assuming a jailbreak is available (untethered), it's generally a button click or two to JB an IPhone, a pretty simple process.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
At least android let's you replace your ROM...Via hacking. Hacking iOS lets you change colors and other silly things. NOTHING to improve the performance of the system. Plus, iOS is just an app drawer.:confused:

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008

You don't have to root an Android to make it your own, the same can't be said for iPhone.

I appreciate both, but I've grown tired of apples approach to iPhone design. It's like BMW, generally year after year they all look the same, very minor tweaks and that's it. I believe I read someone comparing Apples stale brand to Windows, the ultimate culmination coming to Vista which was rejected. Eventually they're gonna have to change it up. When innovation dies, the company tends to head downhill.

swpars

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Seattle, WA

The biggest thing I miss going from iOS to Android is seamless syncing of music and videos.

Let me mince no words. Android syncing is an afterthought at best. I use iSyncr, which is one of the best solutions for making an Android phone sync with iTunes. It's slow and clunky. And of course there's no iCloud.

I like a lot of things about my Galaxy S3, but syncing is not one of them. Apple is far and away the market leader in that respect.

And if you have a problem with people owning multiple Apple products...well, keep in mind that you're posting to a site called Mac Rumors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.