Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
They've made the tips shorter but changed the controls to having to squeeze them instead of the old tapping.... why? Such a bizzare move. Now I do not bother using the controls because if I squeeze the tips, they fall out of my ears. The tapping of the Airpods 1 and 2 was far superior, even though the squeezing thing would have made much more sense of those with the longer tips.

• Wow
Reactions: bwillwall

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I hated the tapping on the old AirPods. You were limited to what you could control and the longer stalks got caught on everything pulling them out of your ears..

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
I’ve never had the original AirPods, but I actually really dig the force sensor as it’s reminiscent of the control pod on EarPods, and is far more versatile than simply pausing/skipping songs IMO.

heavysoul

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2020
Shoreham-by-Sea
I have the AirPod 3's and love them.

I've owned AirPods 1, 2 and Pro. I preferred the 'squeeze' of the Pros to the tapping of the 1's and 2's - but I preferred the 'openness' of the 1's and 2's, especially when using them when out walking etc.

My AirPods 1's effectively died and I've now given the 2 and Pro to my sons.

I know some people have had issues with the fit of the 3's - but for me they're perfect.

Reactions: bwillwall

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I didn't know that...the tapping method is the best when you are bundled up in 20 layers with gloves on, you can just tap (in the area) and it will generally work.

this might be a deal killer for me or at least make me not want to upgrade any time soon.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I didn't know that...the tapping method is the best when you are bundled up in 20 layers with gloves on, you can just tap (in the area) and it will generally work.

this might be a deal killer for me or at least make me not want to upgrade any time soon.
Consider the Beats Fit Pro. These work by a push rather a tap, but totally usable with heavy gloves on, bike riding, etc. This is one of the main reasons I kept the Beats Fit Pro over the AP3. Different type of earbud, though.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Consider the Beats Fit Pro. These work by a push rather a tap, but totally usable with heavy gloves on, bike riding, etc. This is one of the main reasons I kept the Beats Fit Pro over the AP3. Different type of earbud, though.
how about heavy gloves, a Balaclava and hood(or hat) over that?

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
how about heavy gloves, a Balaclava and hood(or hat) over that?
Well, that might be challenging, you would have to try.
I use these for winter bike riding (so-called "lobster" gloves).
You can see why squeezing AP3s would be very difficult.
Siri is the other option.
Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 9.13.01 AM.png

Last edited:

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
It's not the fit of the 3's I have a problem with, it is how they made the tips shorter, but now expect you to squeeze them for the controls. Totally backwards to me, the squeezing thing would have made much more sense on the older ones. The tips are so short it's really hard, then when you do it, they fall out :/ I just want the tapping back as it would work so much better with the 3s.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
The squeeze is significantly better and faster than the tapping, which had a long delay and felt quite awkward to do. If they're falling out then idk you're definitely doing it wrong.

Reactions: heavysoul

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
You’ll get used to it.

The double-tap is much quicker and easier to do, I know. Especially when you’re out on a run. I can double-tap and not have to think about it too much. But the squeeze slows me down.

Maybe Apple will bring it back at some point and allow both methods.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.