Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LarTeROn

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2020
Hong Kong
I tried both Fedora and Silverblue and had the following problems with an old 2015 MBP:

1) Nobody seems to have shared optimum touchpad settings to match MacOS. Scrolling is too fast and I can't see any menu option to fix this.

2) The Facetime Camera needs a custom kernel module, but there's no script to automate fixing this on each kernel upgrade. Particularly awkward on Silverblue due to immutability.

3) I can't see a way to easily swap ctrl+cmd keys to easily have the same layout as MacOS for muscle memory. There's "Kitty" and another script out there, but if we had a Mac centric distro, this could be baked in and working across upgrades.

4) Airport needs turning off before suspend. Another script that needs sorting out on each upgrade? You can just rmmod and put it back again if you don't turn off the airport card before turning off the system, but again, this is something that a Mac specific distro could handle.

5) Partitioning was a bit confusing. There are 2 automatic partitioning options. One will wipe the drive, the other will actually just auto for available space, but that's badly communicated in the UI and a bit nerve racking as a result.

edit: almost forgot 6) Sticky keys intermittently getting stuck. Probably a wayland issue. Could be another driver problem specific to apple?

Despite all this, the system is otherwise pretty slick. Getting used to containers, immutability and layering is a lot to learn. I was prepared to give it a try, but even with Silverblue, docs were sometimes lacking and it's annoying when the first 10 search results are all aimed at standard Fedora and you need to adapt things to Silverblue.

I hope some of this helps anyone out there moving over to linux as support for MacOS drops off if you decided that disabling SIP for OCLP wasn't worth it.

ThrawnTHX

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
I personally love Fedora (and its gaming-oriented offshoot Nobara), but perhaps Pop_os! might work for you. They have one of the best installers in my opinion, good workflows, nice additions over stock Ubuntu, and a really nice customized GNOME desktop environment. Sometime in the next couple of months, they’re releasing a brand new DE called Cosmic written from the ground up in Rust.

Reactions: LarTeROn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.