Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
i've never designed a web site before. this is my first try. it was done with dreamweaver '04 MX. i still have no idea what i'm doing. i validated several of the pages, but not all of them. it's still a work in progress, but all the major components are now up.

i'd like to get some criticism/suggestions, if you can take the time:

www.theanimalclub.com

some of the issues i've had so far:

1.CSS is a mystery to me. i'm trying to organize the style sheets after the fact, which probably isn't all that good.

2. i'm going to redo the location graphics .
Blendfiremen.jpg

Originally, the site had a black background, so the graphics were done with that it mind. I'm going to replace them with a white background . Also, the "about us" page will be redone with a white background and a flash page for the individual bios.

3. i'm not terribly happy with the video page. I plan to develop a nicer interface for that section ASAP. I already want to overhaul the "fun stuff" section.

4. The nav bar is all out of alignment. i've got to resize some of the images, and rebuild the nav bar...(i used dreamweaver's tool to do it, and added the forum button afterwards)

well, i'm open to all sorts of suggestions and criticism. thanks.

-tk

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
OK, here are some CSS suggestions:

The best thing you can do with your CSS is to put it all in an external stylesheet for several reasons:
- updating one file updates all pages
- users will typically download the file once and cache it, saving bandwidth for you and them
- it reduces overall page size and clutter

So, I'd start by moving all the styles you have in the head, as well as all of your inline styles to one central external file.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
frames = me angry

frames are just a pet peeve of mine. i really despise them, i really don't want to get into the discussion of why i hate them or why they aren't good, cause it's really up to you whether you want to use them or not.

just trying to spark a little thought process to make sure you really want to use them or not.

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
Add me to the list of anti-framists. The site does look good dude, very impressive. But if you can get rid of the frames, that would be a huge improvement.

Not that I'm one to lecture.... I'm the one that started the King Retard thread....

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
Originally posted by everyone
i hate frames

okay, okay. i get the picture ;)

i'm thinking of a way to do away with the frames. it's kind of wasted space. i do like the french/english rollovers, though, so i may keep them...

thanks for the responses...:)

<offtopic: edit>
Rower: i'm glad you left the ppp page up. it makes me happy. if there is a good use of frames, that is it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.