Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
So with an easily detachable magnetic clasp, these are going to be the next big stolen good? Is there software in these watches to make them useless once they are stolen? Any GPS capability to track them?

If you can pay with a :apple: watch, with a iPhone in your pocket - thieves may relieve you of both (after incapacitating you) and go on a shopping spree.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
So with an easily detachable magnetic clasp, these are going to be the next big stolen good? Is there software in these watches to make them useless once they are stolen? Any GPS capability to track them?

If you can pay with a :apple: watch, with a iPhone in your pocket - thieves may relieve you of both (after incapacitating you) and go on a shopping spree.

If you get a watch stolen off your wrist...you deserve to have it stolen. A phone in hand is just as easily taken.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
That's the first thing I thought when I saw the magnetic straps. Seems very easy for someone to just grab and run. I'd definitely go with that classic strap they had if I were to get the watch.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
...you guys saw how the magnetic clasp was only on a few of the watches, and the rest are still normal straps right?

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
The magnetic clasp ones are loops so even when undone it still needs to be threaded off your wrist. It's not going to be very easy to rip off a wrist!

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
For those who are worried about an Apple Watch coming loose from their wrist, count me among them, one option is a leather band with a traditional buckle closing device. It seems to me that this setup should be about as secure as a conventional watch with a buckle closure,

I do worry about the magnetic and punch-through clasps. I had a Garmin Vivofit, which I lost during a workout because the punch through clasp came loose from the hole in the band where it was supposed to be. The Vivofit fell from my wrist as I was walking along a narrow walking trail, which had fairly high grass on either side. Needless to say, I didn't find it.

I bought another Vivofit after I lost the first one but the second time around I also bought a couple of Bitbelt keeper bands and they solved the problem. Anyway, for obvious reasons it seems to me that most of Apple's closure strategies for its new watch bear careful analysis.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007

While I think that you may be correct in that they will be easily stolen, from what I've heard once the watch leaves your wrist it is no longer authorised. You would have to re-authorise it for said thief to have their spending spree.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
It's tied to someone's phone/account. It's probably not going to be able to be flipped to someone else's account without the original owner de-authenticating it.

We are all talking about a digital, cloud linked device... right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.