Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tangerine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
Hi, something I wonder about the thermal paste use on Graphic Card such as the ATI X1900XT. If you take off the stock cooler and put it back on, does this effect the thermal paste performance? I'm use another aftermarket cooler right now, but I may need to switch it back in case if ever needed.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
This is one reason I have not changed the cooler. If they can tell its been changed it voids the warranty.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Thermal paste should be removed from both surfaces, and then a fresh and very thin layer re-applied to one of the surfaces (preferably whichever one has the smaller mating surface). Then, press together.

The layer should be thin enough that none oozes out when pressed together. The purpose of thermal paste is to fill the minor imperfections in the surfaces, and create a smooth mating surface. So, if you are working with previously applied thermal paste, you will defeat the purpose (as the used paste will not be distributed evenly and smoothly and will actually create air pockets).

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
you should always reapply thermal paste after removing the fan/heatsink. just apply a tiny bit and use a credit card to thin it out. it should be paper thin.

i use arctic silver. it's like $5-10 at Fry's, Best Buy, Compusa, etc. Cheaper online.

Tangerine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
I order the Arctic thermal paste, but it won't be here until a fews more day later. Should I pull the Graphic Card out since I open it already to check if thermal paste is spread evenly? Temperature seam to be fine, about 60 celcius in heavy load. It is bad to keep it in there after I pull out the cooler?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.