Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UKmacman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Okay so a little over dramatic title but although I love these forums (for helping out with any problems and discussing all mac things etc) they can also be bad for your mental health. What do I mean?

Well they can drive you mad. Everyday there are a load of people who worry if they should upgrade their machine, re-upgrade their machine for the new model that came out 5 days later or wait until June when a new machine will come out. I know it has been said before but you all need to chill out a bit.

I had an ibook for 2 years and loved it. I bought it just before macbooks came out and did I care? No, it was an excellent machine and served me very well - and I must point out I like to have new gadgets! I have just upgraded to a 2.4 blackbook and I love it even more. For converting DVDs it's a whizz and time machine is amazing (hopefully I will not have to use it too often!).

SO what's my point? Well if I listened to some people in here I would never buy a mac and still be waiting for the 'next best one' to come along. Okay if you are waiting for a specific feature them maybe wait (I am waiting for a 3G iphone for example) but how much better can these macbooks get?

I don't need a blueray drive, I have 250 gig which will last me for a couple of years, the new chip should also be good for at least as long, probably longer, battery life is over 4.5 hours of real use. Wake up, this is a great machine, so if you are debating if you should wait, don't. Life is too short.

Right there is my 1 cents worth!!!

thesdx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2007
That's right! It's only a little while longer and you'll get something ten times as good! Buy now and feel like a fool in a matter of days!

Wait for Nehalem and your life will be transcended beyond all expectation! :rolleyes:

But, whatever comes out after Nehalem will be better! Wait until 2011 to buy your Mac! :D

Dorfdad

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
I have just upgraded to a 2.4 blackbook and I love it even more. For converting DVDs it's a whizz and time machine is amazing (hopefully I will not have to use it too often!).

WHAT they just dropped the price like 200.00 a week ago! and added 2.8ghz

Just kidding, i know what you mean If you wait every 6 months for the next version you will never get the system... Buy it and stop looking at prices and upgrades untill your ready to buy again!

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
I put in my will to buy a MacBook 6 months after I die (unless it's expected to be updated within 3 months from then) ;)

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
I put in my will to buy a MacBook 6 months after I die (unless it's expected to be updated within 3 months from then) ;)

I think I shall wait to 2012 and if we survive then I will buy!--)))

Seriously, I agree with the originator of this thread. it slays me to see all the posts oh my what shall I do? Like what the heck happen to people to do their own thinking?

All I know is that IM glad I bought when I did and not worry about the next upgrade. Like, that's not going to happen!

I can remember first PC had a whopping 40 Meg HD and 2 meg of RAM with a word processor called easy write that was a huge 365K! Was glad I bought then and glad I bought now!

Perhaps there should be a procrastination forum for all those that can't make up their minds?--)) :p

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Should be a forum guide with general recommendations for how to understand the forum. I would start with, "decide what it is you want or better yet, decide what you want the device/computer to do, then figure out what you need to accomplish this." If you don't already have an idea of what you are trying to accomplish you could get so lost on this forum. The waiting game will never end for upgrades but most of the upgrades are meaningless for most people. They may help resale value though.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
But, whatever comes out after Nehalem will be better! Wait until 2011 to buy your Mac! :D

What? NO! Sandy Bridge is where it's at, yo! "Early 2012/13 Mac Pro" for the win!

It is absolutely true that if you just wait for the next best thing, you'll never have the next best thing.

However, not being dumb and waiting for the price of RAM and HDDs to come down is a waiting with which I agree. Unless, of course, you need them immediately, too. Then by all means, buy now.

crayonshin

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2008
Japan
worse since intel transition?

i haven't been onboard the mac train too long but it seems like this "should i wait for..." syndrome has gotten worse since the intel move. back with power pc, we weren't sure if there was ever going to be a significant upgrade. so every six months it was just speculation over whether or not they finally managed to cram a G5 into a laptop.

now with intel on a regular "tick-tock" release schedule, plus putting out platform roadmaps for the next 500 or so years...not to mention the "leaked" tidbits about how much performance gain the next platform will bring. well, this just makes it all the more agonizing for those playing the waiting game.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Yes! **** the waiting game! My rev.B late 2006 MacBook is just as fast as the 2.4 GHz MacBook at watching HD H.264, surfing web and doing my Uni work! ;)

I'm waiting for the next or next after next iMac, because when it comes out it will be time to upgrade my iMac G5. :D

iCeFuSiOn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
Personally, I don't see the point in waiting unless you absolutely know that a new update is coming on a specific date -- if you need it, buy it. I bought my MacBook Pro on the day of MacWorld, I was so excited with the fact that I could actually purchase one that I didn't really care if a new model came out or not.

And honestly, I don't care that there is a new model out now, the only feature that really makes it even slightly appealing to me is the addition of multi-touch but I use an Apple Wireless Keyboard & Wireless Mighty Mouse 99% of the time anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

It's not like your computer is going to commit suicide just because a newer model is out, it's still going to be the same valuable tool that you had yesterday and it will still perform the same.

wannabe07

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2008
Portland, Oregon
What annoys me a whole lot more is people who don't bother to search the forum or Google first before they ask a question. I can somewhat, kind-of understand the whole 'should I wait' mentality, but I have no patience for morons who can't use the search function. And even then, the folks who post asking whether they should wait could easily answer their own question by reading the guides.

EB66

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
i totally 100% agree with you....i have been through it on caraudio forums bad before going nuts or the smallest little thing like burr brown vs regular DACs and we all know its not about the sound because i don't believe you can hear small things like thats its just to say you have it....more about pride than anything

PFrankMD

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2008
i totally agree that if you keep waiting just because you're afraid that something new will come out, you'll either never be happy with what you have, or never actually make the purchase.

however, i personally am waiting to buy my macbook for college until sometime this summer. while i will have the money to get it fairly soon, there is no real need for me to get it right now, because i have a perfectly fine desktop pc in my room. so it would actually be kinda dumb for me to spend the money on something now that i dont absolutely need (but really really want). This summer however... totally different story, first chance to get my macbook after hs graduation (hopefully one with updated integrated graphics) , i'll be all over it

GeneKam

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
Mississauga, ON
bah i doubt that macbooks will get graphic cards that are any good anytime soon, mb and mbp are fairly the same machine, the only things that differ then is size, cosmetic work and the video card, thouse are the things that apple knows that we cant change and will be forced into buying, i mean common, most of us would gladly go for a mb f it had the graphics card, just due to the look and the size, so apple will take as much as possible precaution to keep some of the macbook aspects that low, as alot of the pcs still use simmilar or comaprable video cards to the thouse of mb, so apple still have sometime to tourture us

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.