Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
The whole point of using the keyboard and trackpad with the iPad is to keep everything rested with your palms and have your hands near the keyboard without reaching away from it.

there’s ample room for the function row, only when you extend the viewing angle to its max that the possible placement of the function row will slightly get in the way of it. but so what? It’s better than having nothing at all.

and the function row isn’t something we need to use all the time, having the edge of the iPad getting in the way wouldn’t be an annoyance, cuz we can just easily sweep our fingers underneath just to reach the playback controls, control volume, or use escape keys. it’s not the same as having to type words extremely fast or use keyboard shortcuts to do tasks faster without getting anything in the way.

I’m just salty cuz I have to buy another keyboard cuz I use a screen protector, and I don’t wanna have to wait even longer for a MKB to arrive if it turned out that I actually needed a new keyboard cuz my iPad doesn’t fit correctly. So I just ordered one now. Anyway it’s lame that Apple didn’t include a function row and the arguments I’ve seen ppl defend the lack of convenience for the amount we pay is mind boggling.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2021
A function row would have been a nice addition for sure. I didn’t have a Magic Keyboard already for the 12.9, so I won’t have to buy a second one so the salt isn’t as bad for me. Still, I agree with you that they should have made a revision.

Reactions: symphony

Okta

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2014
There's certainly a lot of room for improvement there. A function row and escape key would've been awesome

Snapperjw

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
They could resolve this very easily by creating keyboard shortcuts for things such as volume up and down / brightness up and down, the key things you do. I’m a fan of learning keyboard shortcuts and I struggle to see why they have not created these for the key areas.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2021
Yeah, keyboard shortcuts would suffice. Pretty stupid they haven’t at least done that if they aren’t giving us a function row.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.