Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richbatsford

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2018
Hi Folks

A thin white digital line has appeared across the screen of my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015). Screen photo attached.

ive tried resetting the NVRAM/PRAM twice but no change

Is there anything else I can do software wise (with limited experience)?

many thanks in advance

Rich

Attachments

• IMG_5316.JPG
    IMG_5316.JPG
    556.6 KB · Views: 320

richbatsford

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2018
ah thanks, looks like youre right, I couldnt see it at first when its powered down, but with a screen wipe and a bright light I can. I can live it for now if theres a reasonable chance it wont deteriorate too rapidly?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Looks like you have a crack in only the topmost glass layer - at the moment.
Your LCD panel is MUCH more fragile now than before the crack. It won't take much movement, even something as simple as using a different corner of the display to move the screen. I predict that crack will easily shift enough to damage the polarizing layers, and you will then see the actual liquid inside begin to leak inside, across the layers. You will see a cross-hatch pattern, probably extending across the screen, and the liquid will show a smearing of colors in the area of the crack. There will likely be dead areas in the display when all that starts to happen.There's no way to predict how quickly that will happen, but it is inevitable now.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
I would suggest to fix it yourself, but a used replacement display is about $500. This is a very expensive repair, even for a laptop of this age. I would advise against putting that much money into a 6 year old laptop. If you can wait until the end of the year the new 16 and 14 inch MacBook Pro's should be released. If you don't mind an ever so slightly older machine the current M1 13 inch MacBook Pro will see a price cut. You could always hold onto the cracked laptop, but chances are display replacements will only get more rare and expensive as time goes on. You would be better of selling it on Swappa. At least you could put the money towards an upgrade. It's all up to you.

CMMChris

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2019
Germany (Bavaria)
I can live it for now if theres a reasonable chance it wont deteriorate too rapidly?
If the LCD is cracked, but the top glass cover is intact, it is likely to keep working for a long time. Same applies if only the top glass is cracked but not the LCD panel itself. Only if both the top glass cover and the LCD panel itself are broken, the LCD liquid will slowly dry out and stop working due to the seal being broken.

richbatsford

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2018
thanks for the tips folks, I dont have the skills or tools for a self repair and I think youre right Royksöpp that its not worth paying for fixing it, specially as when I bought it second hand a year ago I could tell it hadnt been treated too well and I wouldnt be surprised if something else goes wrong soon after. Guess I'll hope youre right CMMChris and see if it stays stable for a reasonable while. I like a big screen so thinking maybe a refurbed 16inch once they bring the new one out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.