Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AVP_NEWB

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2024
I’ve been trying wearing the AVP quite a lot since picking it up on launch day. It’s essentially replaced my MBP (though I do sometimes use the AVP as a virtual display for the MVP when I need more processing power, or just need to run something that isn’t supported in the AVP yet)

In some ways, it’s easy to forget you’re wearing it. I can see the real world, I can pickup a glass, grab a fork, eat a sandwich, hug my wife, etc.

There are, however, some things that are harder to do with it on. A few difficulties I’ve run into here. I’m curious if folks have found clever solutions, or have their own list?:

1. Drink from a glass (the rim fouls against the front glass of the AVP, so I end up having to tilt my head WAY back to do this)
2. Eating (not too bad depending on the thing, but the fact that you can’t see the food/fork/spoon entering your mouth sometimes throws me off)
3. Blowing my nose (apologies if this is gross, but it’s definitely something that’s NOT hard when using a computer that isn’t mounted to your face)
4. Kissing my wife (no, I’m not asking if it’s hard for YOU to kiss MY wife, I mean your own significant other, or perhaps kids, etc)
5. Talking to flight attendants (It’s not that it’s difficult once they engage with you, but many of them seem to perceive that I’m “unavailable” and just pass right by me when asking others for food/drink orders)
6. ”walking through windows” When I go to move through a floating window, I wish a little clear ”door” would appear so I can see through it before walking into it. Doing this “blind” requires a bit more faith than I’d prefer.
7. Swimming (sorry, this is a really bad/dad joke)

The only tip I really have so far is that it seems easier to drink when I use a disposable coffee/tea cup with the “sippy lid”, as this elevates the ”sipping surface” above the rest of the lid, thus improving the “angle of attack”.

Reactions: g-7

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
I have a contigo 20oz coffee mug that I don't have issues drinking from. Without a straw. Don't feel like I'm tilting my head back any further than I was previously. Anything else, though, and a straw his much better.

With OP on the blowing the nose thing. Yeah - that's odd.

Eating - I've had issues with the concept. Thinking whatever I'd eat was going to touch the VP. But when I look at myself with it on in a mirror, see how ridiculous that is. If I've got food going in my mouth past my nose, I've got a problem, LOL.

I'll add a new issue - getting up and going to walk somewhere. I'm SO glad Apple designed the cord of the battery like they did. Can't tell you how many times I've gotten up or even moved a bit, and the battery went flying to the floor or down my side. If it wasn't secured to the battery case or headset like it is, I would have been left in darkness.

Reactions: G5isAlive
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.