Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Now I'm not holding out for this any time soon, but down the line, do you think Apple would ever release a 30" iMac? Is it within the realm of possibility? Or do you envision a total redesign first?

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
i don't see this happening anytime soon. the 24" model has forced many people to rethink how big a computer and screen they actually need. how many would actually buy a 30"?

remember, the iMac is a consumer computer. while i won't dismiss the idea of a 30" (unless it is technologically unfeasible) in the future, i will say that this is not a model Apple should pursue. 30" is huge! and it would probably cost a lot of money, too.

if they could integrate a computer into a television or make the iMac like a home theater all-in-one thing, then i'd say go for it. as a home theater option, it would be neat to have a 30" television/monitor that is a computer. but solely as a computer, i don't think so.

peter32892

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2006
pianoman said:
i don't see this happening anytime soon. the 24" model has forced many people to rethink how big a computer and screen they actually need. how many would actually buy a 30"?

remember, the iMac is a consumer computer. while i won't dismiss the idea of a 30" (unless it is technologically unfeasible) in the future, i will say that this is not a model Apple should pursue. 30" is huge! and it would probably cost a lot of money, too.

if they could integrate a computer into a television or make the iMac like a home theater all-in-one thing, then i'd say go for it. as a home theater option, it would be neat to have a 30" television/monitor that is a computer. but solely as a computer, i don't think so.
Yea that seems like a good idea to me. But will msot likely won't happen.

MacProGuy

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2006
pianoman said:

Nonsense. :) It is only a matter of time...

Remember, it was Bill Gates himself that said "No-one will ever need more than 640K of ram..."

:D

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Well, there are limits to actual usability at a certain point. For me the 24" is just on the edge of being to big to look at comfortably all at once. The 30" is right out (I'm talking about from normal desktop distances - my TV is 30" and from 5-7' it's fine).

Now, a 30" with an integrated iTV is certainly something I think we will see in late '07/early '08...

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
Not only possible, but it's inevitable. Eventually, the cost of manufacturing the larger LCDs will drop to where 30'' will be affordable. And if it's affordable, beautiful, and (for some people) functional, people will bite.

Besides, people buy massive TVs, then sit 10 feet away from them.

jne381

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
Grand Rapids
I guess it could happen, but 30 inches is mighty big. I think the market for such a machine may be too small, but what do I know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.