Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Looks like the min operating requirement will be a mid 2012 computer. Thats just lame because thats what I have and usually when that is the minimum requirement it will mean a slowed down machine so no thanks Apple I will be skipping this one. When I upgraded to IOS 11 on my old iPad Mini 2 it drastically slowed it down, because the mini 2 was the min requirement.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
The beta is running surprisingly well on my Mid 2012 Retina. We're getting to the point that Apple is dropping support for Macs that in actuality have more than enough power to run the software at an acceptable speed, but only support for OpenGL (and not Metal) which Apple has decided to deprecate.

Reactions: Sdtrent

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
The beta is running surprisingly well on my Mid 2012 Retina. We're getting to the point that Apple is dropping support for Macs that in actuality have more than enough power to run the software at an acceptable speed, but only support for OpenGL (and not Metal) which Apple has decided to deprecate.

We will wait and see. The first version of a major OS is usually loaded with bugs. I will skip it and wait and see what people say who also own 2012 Mac's. I am also using a standard HDD and not a SSD.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Looks like the min operating requirement will be a mid 2012 computer. Thats just lame because thats what I have and usually when that is the minimum requirement it will mean a slowed down machine so no thanks Apple I will be skipping this one. When I upgraded to IOS 11 on my old iPad Mini 2 it drastically slowed it down, because the mini 2 was the min requirement.

always good to make an assumption, rather than gather evidence :rolleyes:. besides, if you skip this one, what is the likelihood that 10.15 will work for you? (or by then, perhaps a new mac?).

am amazed how quickly people rant about each new os; especially before they've tried it, or, in this case, barely anyone's tried it.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
always good to make an assumption, rather than gather evidence :rolleyes:. besides, if you skip this one, what is the likelihood that 10.15 will work for you? (or by then, perhaps a new mac?).

am amazed how quickly people rant about each new os; especially before they've tried it, or, in this case, barely anyone's tried it.

I wont replace my Mac till it breaks. I like the built in DVD drive, and the standard USB port on the Mac.

Reactions: samuels1

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I wont replace my Mac till it breaks. I like the built in DVD drive, and the standard USB port on the Mac.

fair enough. meanwhile, why not wait a bit, see what the anecdotal evidence is on 10.14? what people report, how things look over time (i mean, it's only be in the wild for hours). then you can make an informed choice... to update... or not.

Reactions: jwolf6589

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
It would be wise for you to wait a couple of months and do your research before you make the switch. Read up as much as you can, and note the positives and negatives of others experience.

Suspended
May 28, 2017
Looks like the min operating requirement will be a mid 2012 computer.

Not necessarily. In fact, not likely.

That is just regarding Apple's official hardware support for the OS. People have come up with hacks to run OS's on unsupported computers. Check out the "Running macOS 10.x.x on unsupported Macs" threads.

I'm running Sierra on a mid-2009 (unsupported) thanks to the hack by dosdude. There are people with even older computers running High Sierra.

Don't worry so much ;)

dosdude1 is already way ahead of me: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-10-14-mojave-on-unsupported-macs-thread.2121473/

samuels1

Suspended
Jun 4, 2018

Good on you, sir.

Having said that, there's nothing which compels you to install .14. Your mac is working just fine as it is. Complaining about a cutoff is just attention seeking.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
It is definitely wise to wait it out, however swapping HDD for SSD (not sure if it is possible on your machine?) would decrease loading times and overall OS performance immensely.

Tom

Reactions: jwolf6589
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.