Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will apple fix the bending issue or no

• Total voters

Yourbigpalal83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2015
while i'm furious at apple for the bending issue which caused me to return mine, I do somewhat regret it as i got a 2018 ipad and its ok, but i miss alot of the higher end features like tap to wake, face id, quad speakers, 120hz refresh rate, etc

Im debating next month on getting a 11 or 12.9 inch (i had the 12.9 and i loved it but i find with the 9.7 its more portable) and of course id be getting an otterbox case and debating on getting apple care with it just for extra re assurance.

My question is this...At some point im going to break and get another pro. Should i wait a bit and hope they make a silent adjustment to it via stronger aluminum or re enforce the insides, or is it basically as is right now and buy at your own risk regardless of case and apple care..

Thoughts?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Don’t think apple will be making any adjustments making them things. Just have to hope yours isn’t affected. Not everybody has the issue after all. Might be worth the risk if you really want one

I still love my 12.9 and had no issues with day to day use.

imaccooper

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2014
North Carolina
They aren’t going to change anything now until a new version, they have doubled and tripled down on the fact (true or not) that this isn’t as big of an issue as is perceived and the vast majority or devices are just fine.

I wouldn’t worry much about buying one if you want a pro. You always have 14 days to return if you don’t feel good about it. Of the reports that have been on here and other tech sites, it seems like the majority of the problems, although not exclusively, center on the cellular models. If a WiFi only model fits your needs, that should minimize your risk of bending.

Reactions: kipwheeler

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
If a WiFi only model fits your needs, that should minimize your risk of bending.

^ this.

Get the WiFi model. It doesn't have the bending issue due to the cellular bands. There isn't any real evidence that this iPad Pro bends more easily than previous generations, only that the cellular models tend to have a bend out of the box.

Reactions: kipwheeler

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I got the 12.9" iPP and love it. No problem with bending.

If you get an iPad you have a few weeks during which you can return it, no questions asked.

Like almost all companies, Apple has production engineers who constantly make small tweaks to the production process. If bending is actually a real problem I can see them monitoring it and making changes to fix it. We don't know how common this is or what the cause is. Maybe there was a disgruntled employee doing this to a few iPads as they packed them up? Smart engineers can figure this out.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
So, this week I was feeling risky and it seems to have paid off ...

I have been thinking a long time about replacing both my Mac and iPad with an iPad Pro setup. I was let down when I saw the price of the new iPad Pro and then the bending issue just pissed me off, between Apple’s prices, their quality control, and their response. This in combination with how I never had any luck the last time I tried purchasing an iPad Pro a couple years ago - went through close to 12 returns from various stores because of dead pixels, dust, or other screen issues. Even though I really wanted one to use for illustration I just couldn’t keep an item that was faulty and I was sick of returning.

Well, Microcenter had the new 11”, 64GB silver, WiFi, on sale for $100 off and I said, what the hell, I’m curious about seeing one of these things in person, fully expecting to return it. Lo and behold, the one I got is not bent (so far), has no screen issues, and it feels more substantial and well built than I imagined. It’s incredibly and unnecessarily thin though, so I do feel like I am walking on eggshells not to damage it outside of its case. I don’t know if it’s because of my preconception of something this thin being delicate or if it really is. There is no reason that Apple made it this thin except for bragging rights - it truly is incredible what they’ve fit into something this thin, but they should have made it thicker to mitigate this whole bending fiasco.

I’m shocked to say that I like it - a lot - and I’m keeping it unless some major issue arises. My favorite thing about this iPad is the rounded corners of the screen, which looked really off to me in photos, but in person looks very nice. I love the thin, even black bezel. Either they have increased the quality control of their screens as far as dead pixels and dust or I just got really lucky this time. I would say buy one and try it out. If it’s not bent and you like it, keep it, if you don’t mind that there’s no guarantee it won’t bend in the future depending on your usage. My iPads go into a case and never really come out, they stay in the house, and only I use them carefully. Another thing to consider is will these iPad Pros develop the same bright white spots the iPad Pro 10.5 does - only time will tell. But to answer your question, I highly doubt they will be changing anything as far as the bending until the next generation.

Update:
Well, I spoke too soon. The iPad’s screen had some subtle anomalies when scrolling in two of the corners- like faint gray splotches. I believe a mild case of LCD dirty screen effect. I was going to keep it and deal with that, but this morning I realized the glass made a clicking sound when pressed below the cameras and in the top right corner when in portrait mode. Returning. Don’t want to bother with the exchange lottery. But hey, at least it wasn’t bent!

Last edited:

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
It is one of several reasons why I skipped the upgrade this time and I'm hanging on to my 10.5. I travel with mine - often in an overstuffed bag and in crowded trains. The 10.5 has proven to be pretty robust so far and still looks perfect despite it has been in few crushing situations so far.

No, I don't want to put it to some huge Otterbox case. I like to keep cases to a minimum.

My guess is that the next version will be stronger.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I got the 11” LTE model last month and am loving it. You obviously miss and want the iPad Pro. So I say, yeah...get over your fear and just buy it already. Life is short my friend. Why deny yourself the pleasure & satisfaction of getting what you really want? Just DO IT!

Reactions: Yourbigpalal83

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
No change for this year. I think the wifi version is safe. Personally I find the 2018 iPP very hard to give up. I returned a bent LTE and tried to go back to TouchID - for me, there was too much to give up.

Fozziebear71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
I was one who was going to upgrade this time around from my 12.9” version 1 iPad Pro. But, in the last year or two I started waiting to purchase new Apple products or download new software updates because of too many issues in the last couple of years. I waited on this iPad also. Glad I did. This version is just too prone to damage in my opinion and the reality is, it doesn’t do anything that my current one doesn’t. I’ll be waiting until the next version to see if they address the durability issue.

Reactions: nzcatfood

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I was one who was going to upgrade this time around from my 12.9” version 1 iPad Pro. But, in the last year or two I started waiting to purchase new Apple products or download new software updates because of too many issues in the last couple of years. I waited on this iPad also. Glad I did. This version is just too prone to damage in my opinion and the reality is, it doesn’t do anything that my current one doesn’t. I’ll be waiting until the next version to see if they address the durability issue.

The difference in speed between the gen 1 and gen 3 is nothing short of staggering.

Reactions: PetterPan

Fozziebear71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
The difference in speed between the gen 1 and gen 3 is nothing short of staggering.

Of course it's faster. Functionally, it performs the same, a second or two slower on any given operation. Not worth it to me for over $1,000 and an ipad that will more than likely end up bent. To each his own.

Reactions: jamesrick80

neomorpheus

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2014
There is no way in hell that I will pay 800 bucks for such a flimsy and delicate device.

If they want my money, they will have to do the following:

1- Reinforce that thing to an acceptable level.

2- That entry price is just obscene, needs to be reduced.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
There is no way in hell that I will pay 800 bucks for such a flimsy and delicate device.

Forget about # 2. This is Apple. Lol. I could see them bumping up the ram & storage in the base model next time, but i don’t think they will lower the price. Although they did just lower the price of their iphones in China, so who knows!

I am sure #1 will be addressed in the next update(probably in 2020). Me personally? I have zero issues with it. The 11” LTE model i have feels extremely solid for such a thin device. I definitely wouldn’t call it “flimsy” or “delicate”. This thing feels Very dense and solid. More solid & premium than previous ipads i have owned. I put it in a case to protect the screen, not because I am worried about it bending. Mine came straight right out of the box...and is still straight now.

Last edited:

Starship67

Suspended
Oct 28, 2017
LA

1. Overblown non issue

2. Don’t buy one then

3. I’m enjoying the hell outta my non bent LTE version.

neomorpheus

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2014
Forget about # 2. This is Apple. Lol. I could see them bumping up the ram & storage in the base model next time, but i don’t think they will lower the price.

I am sure #1 will be addressed in the next update(probably in 2020). Me personally, i feel the 11” LTE model i have feels extremely solid for such a thin device. Very dense and solid. I put it in a case to protect the screen more than me worried about bending. Mine came straight, and is still straight.

I know, but the hard reality is, they are pricing themselves out a reasonable level.

My income allows me to buy whatever they currently have, but I am having a hard time justifying their current prices (800 bucks starting price for a very flimsy tablet is just not acceptable to me.)

Its worse for others with more limited income.

But I know, Tim Cooks and company favorite quote is "Dont be poor"...
[doublepost=1547571317][/doublepost]
1. Overblown non issue

2. Don’t buy one then

3. I’m enjoying the hell outta my non bent LTE version.

I know is an rule issue calling anyone rabid fan boi or white knight, but you do fit that title.

How can people express nonsense like that (Overblown issue, really?)

Or the higher than thou bs of "don't buy" (hint, I already stated that) or "I'm enjoying mine" (good, I don't care, didn't asked you either). Yet conveniently ignore the valid points I made.

Really sad....

ManyThreads

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2017
I've had 2 11" so far - one bought on launch day and one replaced from apple care - neither had a bend that I could detect. Both were WiFi though, the cellular ones are more prone to bending because of all the plastic in the structure.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I know, but the hard reality is, they are pricing themselves out a reasonable level.

My income allows me to buy whatever they currently have, but I am having a hard time justifying their current prices (800 bucks starting price for a very flimsy tablet is just not acceptable to me.)

Its worse for others with more limited income.

But I know, Tim Cooks and company favorite quote is "Dont be poor"...
[doublepost=1547571317][/doublepost]

I know is an rule issue calling anyone rabid fan boi or white knight, but you do fit that title.

Or the higher than thou bs of "don't buy" (hint, I already stated that) or "I'm enjoying mine" (good, I don't care, didn't asked you either). Yet conveniently ignore the valid points I made.

Really sad....

Hey, i hear you. I shelled out $1,699 for my 11” LTE 1 TB ipad pro! Not including the apple pencil and case. Yes, it was a lot of money! But this is a laptop replacement for me. So it was worth it. I travel a lot and will use this to edit 4k video on luma fusion & photos in affinty(and photoshop when it comes out). I prefer the smaller form factor compared to a laptop when on the road.

Again, i wouldn’t call the new ipad pro “flimsy”. Not at all. Is it thin? Yes. Flimsy? Hell No! This thing feels solid & very dense. More solid than any ipad i have owned before. I keep it in a case not cause i am worried about it bending...but so i don’t crack the screen. I have cracked the screen on several ipads before. Were they “flimsy”? No. I was just clumsy.

As far as price, You have to ask yourself if it’s worth it for you. Are you a professional artist, designer, photographer? If so, then yes. I think it is. If not, then perhaps the regular ipad is a much more affordable yet kickass option. It’s about to be updated in a couple months most likely with newer design and upgraded features. Maybe wait for that one. It will cost a lot less than the pros.
[doublepost=1547573044][/doublepost]
Of course it's faster. Functionally, it performs the same, a second or two slower on any given operation. Not worth it to me for over $1,000 and an ipad that will more than likely end up bent. To each his own.

Totally cool to say it’s not for you. Yes, it is expensive. But to say that it will most likely end up bent is feeding into a false narrative spread by irrational fear in my opinion. I have an 11” LTE ipad pro. I travel with it for a living. Lots of international backpacking type travel, and i am not worried at all about it bending. It was straight out of the box, and it’s still straight now. I do keep it in a case to protect it, but i am more concerned about cracking the screen than any fear of it bending.

Last edited:

Starship67

Suspended
Oct 28, 2017
LA

Really sad....

Thank you, I'll take that as a compliment.
As for ignoring your valid points I have yet to see any. And I won't.

ManyThreads

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2017
My first iPad Pro 11" screen inexplicably cracked sitting on the kitchen table with nobody home. Now I am wondering if it had a bend stressing the glass that I did not notice. Thankfully I bought Apple care literally the day before, but I wasn't thrilled to be paying $50 and burning a replacement for something I didn't do.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.