Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrislufc1977

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Hi all.

I have a big problem with my 2008 24" iMac Core2Duo (El Cap), which was running fine until I decided to install Windows 7 via Bootcamp.

Now this wouldn't usually be a problem but this iMac has no USB ports (all 3 are dead), so when it came to the Windows 7 setup screen I couldn't get past the stage where you type in a name for the computer. Yes, my bluetooth keyboard and mouse were not recognised! When I try booting back into OS X none of the boot keys work. So basically I'm stuck with trying to boot into Windows. It actually boots to the black Windows Error screen where you can select Safe Mode etc...Oddly enough the keyboard work fine on this screen!?! Booting into Safe Mode for Windows ends up in a loop though.

So how can I get back to my OS X partition or remove the Windows partition with no USB and the keyboard boot keys not working?

Is it possible to remove the hard drive, connect it to another iMac (I also have a 2006 white Core2Duo running Lion) and remove the the windows partition so it boots normally when put back in? Or even use the 2006 HD in the 2008 iMac with Lion installed? Will it boot into Lion and thus allowing for upgrade to El Cap?

So annoyed at myself for even trying to install Windows on this!

I'd be very grateful if anyone can offer any advice short of selling it parts! :)

Thanks,
Chris

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What happens when you hold the option key down when booting up? Do you get a boot menu?

Can you boot into internet recovery mode (Command+Option+R)?

Are you using a wired keyboard or wireless?

chrislufc1977

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
What happens when you hold the option key down when booting up? Do you get a boot menu?

Can you boot into internet recovery mode (Command+Option+R)?

Are you using a wired keyboard or wireless?

Nothing happens when holding Option key down - attempts to boot into Windows

Same happens when holding Command+Option+R

The keyboard is Bluetooth as I have no working USB ports.

Many thanks,
Chris

Lunder89

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Denmark
I just did a quick google search for a firewire USB hub. And if that is available in Denmark, it sure is in the UK too.

nambuccaheadsau

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2007
Blue Mountains NSW Australia
When setting up BootCamp it is so very easy to erase the Mac OS X partition, which seems like may have happened with the no partition showing on Option-Boot. Always keep an old wired keyboard and mouse on hand for this type of installation as you boot into a partition with no drivers etc, or Bluetooth.

However, did you happen to burn El Capitan to a USB thumb drive before running the Installer? If so pop it in, reboot using Option, go to Utilities and erase the drive and then do a clean install. With the state of your machine, no USB, etc just give Windows a miss.

chrislufc1977

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
Well I removed the hard drive and installed it in my 2006 iMac. From that I was able to bring up the boot menu. My El Cap and recovery hd partitions were still present. I went into disk utility and removed the Windows partition. I then re-installed the hard drive in the 2008 iMac. Now when booting it comes up with black screen saying "no bootable device". I even went back and formatted the hard completely and installed Lion using the 2006 iMac. It still came up with "no bootable devices" when placed back in the 2008 iMac.

I think I will have to admit defeat and strip it for parts! Such a shame as was working fine before attempting to install Windows. So annoyed with myself!

Without working USB ports and wireless keyboard not detected I think it's the end for this iMac.

chrislufc1977

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
Just noticed that if I put a Windows disc in it will boot to it by default...perhaps as there is no other bootable device. I might see if I can get hold of a Snow Leopard DVD and see if that will boot also.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
As a test, you might try a powered USB hub to connect a keyboard to your Mac.

My thought is perhaps the data lines may still work on the USB ports, but maybe it's not supplying power to external devices like it should.

A powered USB hub would supply the missing power to the devices. If that's the problem.

nambuccaheadsau

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2007
Blue Mountains NSW Australia
There be your problem.

To remove the BootCamp partition it is a must to actually use BootCamp. When you startup the BootCamp Assistant and there is a partition on the drive with BootCamp, it asks if you want to remove it.

With the original drive in , and if it appears, format and the 2006 iMac, pop in the El Cap thumb drive, reboot, Option, and then if it opens, go to utilities, erase and format, back to Installer and proceed.

chrislufc1977

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
As a test, you might try a powered USB hub to connect a keyboard to your Mac.

My thought is perhaps the data lines may still work on the USB ports, but maybe it's not supplying power to external devices like it should.

A powered USB hub would supply the missing power to the devices. If that's the problem.

FLYINMAC - I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU!

Found an old powered USB hub, connected USB keyboard, rebooted, PRAM was zapped, Option key brought up boot manager. BACK INTO EL CAP!!

I was so close to giving up on this iMac so thank you so much! I hadn't used this USB hub for about 10 years, now I have my iMac back with some working USB ports!

Thank you everyone for your efforts! :) :apple:

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
FLYINMAC - I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU!

Found an old powered USB hub, connected USB keyboard, rebooted, PRAM was zapped, Option key brought up boot manager. BACK INTO EL CAP!!

I was so close to giving up on this iMac so thank you so much! I hadn't used this USB hub for about 10 years, now I have my iMac back with some working USB ports!

Thank you everyone for your efforts! :) :apple:

That's great news. I'm glad it was a simple fix. Happy to hear that you're system is up and running.

chrislufc1977

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
Quick question. What does DU say about the capacity of the hard drive now? Using DU sometimes to remove BootCamp does not make available the wiped space.

There was some partition space that couldn't be resized at first but after enabling journaling on it I was able to remove it and then performed first aid on the drive. Now boots fine!

Attachments

• IMG_2111.JPG
    IMG_2111.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 79
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.