Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

romanof

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
One cold and freezing morning in the hot lands (Texas, today) I was warming myself with a cup of coffee and wishing that I still had my old 6-core Mini space heater while randomly scrolling through the news.

An article about the dislike of self-checkout lanes was fairly interesting while waiting for my second cup. Then another article about the same thing on another site, then another. Apparently that is the main topic for editors to fill in the spaces with this week.

Then... Halfway down the third essay, I had this feeling of reading this before. Back I went to check, and indeed, I had read many of the paragraphs elsewhere. Not redrafted or revised, but the exact same text, word for word. Not as if the entire article had been copied and pasted, but many entire paragraphs were exact images of another. I traced one entire block of text over three major websites.

Plagiarism on the Internet - how unusual. But these were not random and anonymous trolls offering clickbait - No, these were CNN, ABC, MSN and the like. So, apparently even the biggest names are attempting to alleviate their payroll costs with some injected AI. Actual reporters are, of course, so last century.

• Angry
Reactions: Huntn

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Plagiarism on the Internet - how unusual. But these were not random and anonymous trolls offering clickbait - No, these were CNN, ABC, MSN and the like. So, apparently even the biggest names are attempting to alleviate their payroll costs with some injected AI. Actual reporters are, of course, so last century.

Ask Sports Illustrated how well it works? They just dumped most of their staff this week after being caught using AI to write articles.

Reactions: Huntn and Chuckeee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.