Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
You just proved yourself being a lack of knowledge since you dont even use Nvidia GPU. Do you even aware that Nvidia took more than 70% of market share while AMD is less than 20%?
By your logic, we should dictate all of our hardware / software purchases based on market share. If that were the case...

We would all be using android phones with Windows computers.Which means we have no need for this website, since clearly no one needs to use macOS, iOS, or any other OS with even less share.

Since this is obviously absurd, you should educate yourself on the comparative advantages of AMD vs NVIDIA. AMD still is the best at dollar-to-performance hardware, though it does not produce the top end gaming GPUs that NVIDIA does. AMD's hardware caters to video editors and photography software more than gaming, as evidenced by the higher AMD core count vs NVIDIA's lower core count and higher frequency. In addition to that, AMD has higher memory bandwidth on their GPUs than NVIDIA, which has specialized application performance benefits as well.

You can compare the NVIDIA GPU lineup against the AMD GPU lineup on any website and they will tell you the raw statistics I just cited. Different markets prefer different hardware with different goals in mind. There is no one size fits all.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
By your logic, we should dictate all of our hardware / software purchases based on market share. If that were the case...

We would all be using android phones with Windows computers.Which means we have no need for this website, since clearly no one needs to use macOS, iOS, or any other OS with even less share.

My takeaway from that chart is that "unknown" consistently beats out Linux for marketshare ;-)

Reactions: SecuritySteve

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
I agree that dual system are not optimal for typical workflow but there are still very few(very few!!!) users who may need that for some specific tasks. Also while not ideal for workstation, a dual Xeon option will be nice to have for the rackmount version.

The 2019 Mac Pro is already for the very few and it took Apple six years to get there and two years after it was announced. The even fewer you are referring to are SOL.

This is it...they took two years to get to this point. It’s patently obvious they begrudgingly built this Mac Pro or if not begrudgingly, then it was built for their own needs with AppleTV+ series post production in mind. The rest of us are simply allowed to get on the ride along with them and pay for the privilege.

The rack mount version is purpose built for those who prefer centralized climate control, security, power distribution and keeping people’s mitts away from USB ports and such. Apple has zero interest in a dual CPU configuration for a machine whose marketshare was in the single digits then and will be in the single digits when it actually goes on sale. People
have got to stop pining away for things Apple isn’t going to provide. Apple has zero interest in wish fulfillment under Tim Cook’s leadership.

It astonishes me that people on this forum still have trouble accepting this fact 8 years into Cook’s tenure.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
The 2019 Mac Pro is already for the very few and it took Apple six years to get there and two years after it was announced. The even fewer you are referring to are SOL.

This is it...they took two years to get to this point. It’s patently obvious they begrudgingly built this Mac Pro or if not begrudgingly, then it was built for their own needs with AppleTV+ series post production in mind. The rest of us are simply allowed to get on the ride along with them and pay for the privilege.

The rack mount version is purpose built for those who prefer centralized climate control, security, power distribution and keeping people’s mitts away from USB ports and such. Apple has zero interest in a dual CPU configuration for a machine whose marketshare was in the single digits then and will be in the single digits when it actually goes on sale. People
have got to stop pining away for things Apple isn’t going to provide. Apple has zero interest in wish fulfillment under Tim Cook’s leadership.

It astonishes me that people on this forum still have trouble accepting this fact 8 years into Cook’s tenure.
This is written as if the MP 7,1 were a product that you could buy.

It's not - the Mac Pro 2019 is vapourware.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
This is written as if the MP 7,1 were a product that you could buy.

It's not - the Mac Pro 2019 is vapourware.

Sorry, with all due respect, we have a body, we just need an on sale date. It’s not like Apple is going to show the body and not produce the murder weapon. Unlike MS, they don’t create concept cars folding smartphones that will never ship. I am a 100% positive that AMD and the VEGA DUO is the source of the delay at this point.

zzzachi

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
Dual 28-core systems are available in the pc market.
I could order one today and receive it by the end of the week.
Ofc we are talking of 35-40k € here.

A bit more normal would be a dual 12-core system,
128gb of ram, 1tb ssd, 8gb harddrive and an nvidia rtx 2080ti (11gb)
9600€ incl vat, from a professional supplier (not self built)

i really wonder about apples prices.
i guess for 9'600€ you'll get a single cpu 12, maybe 16 core system.
i dont even dare to think what an 28core system would cost.

if apple really wants to stay in the pro market,
the prices must also stay reasonable.

ps. i dont believe apple will produce a dual mac pro ever again
i even doubt hat there will be still a mac pro line in 5 or 10 yrs

Last edited:

sirio76

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
Go configure a system like you described on HP store and you will find it will cost more than 20.000€, are they crazy too? or is it just that premium brands offers support, custom design and other staff that do cost money? Where I can see the same configuration for 9600€?

jccmaxon

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2013
I want to see first of a socket that is already late. By the time he leaves, new xeons will be about to leave

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
You're right. I'm not sure what I was trying to say - obviously there are dual-socket workstations.

Since there is no real distinguishing line between workstations and servers, maybe I was referring to "workstation applications" (apps with a GUI) and "server applications" (mostly headless apps).

Workstation apps are catching up now with their ability to use multiple cores, but there still seems to be a performance issue when dealing with multiple CPUs - it's quicker to have everything on a single CPU than have the same number of cores on two CPUs. I think this is the reason most workstations are only using a single socket. On the rare occasions you'd need more grunt than 28 cores, then you are probably (big assumption here) running an application that has been optimised to make use of multiple physical CPUs. It's now quite rare to see 4 (or higher) CPU servers, but they do exist.
[automerge]1571395873[/automerge]
Go configure a system like you described on HP store and you will find it will cost more than 20.000€, are they crazy too? or is it just that premium brands offers support, custom design and other staff that do cost money? Where I can see the same configuration for 9600€?

The online prices aren't the price businesses will end up paying. They will have account manages who will give discounts, etc so the cost will be similar. But in essence you are right brands like HP, etc could cost more because of the support options, something that isn't included in the Apple pricing. All of the pricing might seem 'crazy', but it's all relative to your needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.