Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
Hey guys,
I am glad this dang Apple bug has hit me. I am craving a iBook clamshell. I am wondering how hard it is to get these things to run OSX? I am looking for a 366mhz and upgrading it to 576MB of RAM and putting a 120GB HD in it. What do you guys think? I am looking on ebay and "custommacs.com". I just need some input. The only thing I am going to do is surf the web and listen to i-tunes.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
They could run Jaguar OK, but you'd be better off getting a G4 running Tiger so you can view most modern websites, whereas the older versions of Safari and IE have major problems.

TEG

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
no such thing as a G4 clamshell. I'm just curious, why would you want one? I see you have a MBA, and that will run everything about 100x better than a clamshell, not to mention being lighter, having a far better screen, and being far sexier. Those things are really old and really slow. You could get it running 10.2 or something, but it would be painful. I used to have a 600 mhz G3 ibook, and I kept it running OS 9 most of the time. The OS X was really built with G4s and higher in mind. It will certainly run on a G3, but it's not a terribly fun experience.

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
Just a toy really. More of a collector item. Of course I guess I could just let it run OS 9 but the internet would be horrible.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Can you not update Safari? Also, they didn't make a G4 clamshell did they?

You might be able to run a newer version of FF, but Safari 2 required Panther, and Safari 3 requires Tiger. I would actually look into finding the G3 466 clamshell iBook, that could run Panther and maybe Tiger if you max out the RAM.

TEG

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
Yeah, I did a little more digging. Its not worth it based on what I have on the way with the mini and already having a MBA. I think I am just going to save the money and get a 23" cinema display for my mini. :D Thanks for the advice guys.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
You can get Tiger on a clamshell if it has firewire. If not, you can remove the hard drive, stick it in another machine, install Tiger, and then swap the drive over. Google it. It's been done before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.