Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
i reaaaaally want one. but i do not need one. i just have this incredible urge to shell out my cold hard cash to get one. i'd like to sell off my 15" and get the 17" to say i have the biggest baddest mother of them all. at that point, i don't see myself wanting to upgrade for a couple of years at least...but then again, i told myself that when i bought this 15" 6 months ago!@!@#!@#$#@$

i am waiting until tuesday to see if there will be new powerbooks...even though ThinkSecret seems to indicate there will NOT be. =(

after tuesday, i may not be able to control my urge anymore...i may have to do it...

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
tekmoe said:
i reaaaaally want one. but i do not need one. i just have this incredible urge to shell out my cold hard cash to get one. i'd like to sell off my 15" and get the 17" to say i have the biggest baddest mother of them all. at that point, i don't see myself wanting to upgrade for a couple of years at least...but then again, i told myself that when i bought this 15" 6 months ago!@!@#!@#$#@$

i am waiting until tuesday to see if there will be new powerbooks...even though ThinkSecret seems to indicate there will NOT be. =(

after tuesday, i may not be able to control my urge anymore...i may have to do it...

Do it, you sound like you can afford it so why not? The 17" is awesome, so do it.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I think that if I just purchased a 15" PowerBook six months ago, I would wait. It should last you until the Rev B PowerBooks are available. Why not invest the money that you have now and be ready for the best then?

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
PaRaGoNViCtiM said:
I totally agree with wdlove, since you already have a brand new 15", wait for the update!!!

something tells me though that after i get the 17", i will be satisfied and won't want to upgrade for a long time. for some reason, i feel like i should have bought the 17" to begin with.

i bought 12" super about a month ago for my gf and i get to toy around with that when i need to take it with me to do dj gig's and stuff. the 17" would be the big boy for mainly home use or coffee shop stylin'.

let this be a lesson to all...get what your heart desires. don't go cheap like i did! =(

PaRaGoNViCtiM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
PA
If you would sell the 15" to get the 17", I say go for it!!!!! If you're pining over the 17" and can afford it, just do it!!!!

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
i think its stupid if u just bought a 15''....just wait dude...think about it...atleast until MWSF

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
I'll be on the other end... GET IT DUDE... AWSOME!!! SEE SIG...

WARNING THOUGH, ONCE YOU GO 17, YOU'LL NEVER GO BACK, TRUST ME. EVERYTHING WLL JUST BE TOO SMALL... :D :D :D :D

devastator777

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2005
New York City
Defintely get the 17 inch PB but...

I was in your situation before but the result was different, I got the 17 inch and never looked back. I had a 12 inch pb combo drive but was sad when my ex took it. I love the 17 incher but get ready to work out its pretty heavy....

Dual 867 PM with 22 inch ACD and a 17 inch ACD, 17 inch PB 1.5 gigers, 60 gb ipod, 20 gb ipod (old school), Bang and Olufsen Beolab 3.

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
I plan on getting a 17" PB in about 3 years when I finish college. By then we should be at Rev C or D Mactel and have OS X 10.6 or 10.7. That will be a hot computer :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
blaskillet4 said:
WARNING THOUGH, ONCE YOU GO 17, YOU'LL NEVER GO BACK, TRUST ME. EVERYTHING WLL JUST BE TOO SMALL... :D :D :D :D

True only to an extent. I'm always flipping between my 17 inch iMac and 12 inch iBook without any problems. It just means you have to get used to using Exposé more. :)

Kobushi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
Right behind you.
I would at least wait until the 20th just in case some Apple exec that isn't Steve Jobs pulls an update out of his um...."universal orifice of knowledge"

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
You wouldn't be gaining enough of a performance increase to make it worth spending that much on another G4 single processor again this late in the game.

You would be far better off keeping your 15" and
purchasing a really nice external display or buying an iMac G5 2.0 Ghz.

You're 15" should hold you well past the Rev B
dual core Intel based models which should have
a considerableperformance increase over anything anyone has available today.

powerbook911

macrumors 601
Mar 15, 2005
Sometimes, as people, we want to do something fun. Sometimes it doesn't make sense.

If your heart is set on a 17-inch, you might consider it. Your 15-inch will still go for very good value on ebay, so it will be just a few hundred you're out.

However, I think you should wait until the next update. Then you'll be getting the benefits of the refresh too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.