Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2008
I have had some random problems with Big Sur since 11.3 (ex. photo screensaver doesn't work anymore, much slower & the 'beach ball' is showing up all the time, etc.) I assume anything that I have added to my Mac since then will be gone? I have a Time Machine backup but wasn't sure if I could restore individual items and even if I did, I don't remember exactly what I have put on it since then....

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Before downgrading to an earlier version, consider doing a clean install of Big Sur. That may fix the current problems you are experiencing.
And then I can still restore my data from Time Machine (I know that might be a dumb question on my part lol)

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Dumb question...what is the best way to do a clean install? I found some websites but wasn't sure what the best way it was to wipe out the hard drive and then restore the OS (hoping to do it without using a USB drive since they are slow and unreliable....) I was going to try with 11.3 just to see if it works better with a clean install (then restore the data from Time Machine) and if it is still slow then I wanted to try to bring back 11.2.3.2(?)

Macdctr

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
I did a clean wipe of my drive then used a USB installer to do a clean install. I had no issues. Yes the USB method is slower but then time is not critical for me. I just got a nice cup of coffee to enjoy while the install process was happening. I'm now on 11.5 beta and have noticed improved system-wide performance. Everything seems snappier than on previous versions... I am liking what I have been seeing with the recent updates...

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2008
I did a clean wipe of my drive then used a USB installer to do a clean install. I had no issues. Yes the USB method is slower but then time is not critical for me. I just got a nice cup of coffee to enjoy while the install process was happening. I'm now on 11.5 beta and have noticed improved system-wide performance. Everything seems snappier than on previous versions... I am liking what I have been seeing with the recent updates...
Was it with a Fusion drive? that is the only part I am worried about

cfm56d7b

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2020
I am still on the latest version of Catalina and not yet convinced that Big Sur is sufficiently stable even at 11.4 release.

My 2020 13" Macbook Pro - 2.3 GHz, 16 Mb, 1 Gb - certainly supports Big Sur. Catalina has been rock solid so far.

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Thank you but does anyone know how to do a clean install on a Fusion Drive?

RogueB

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
Thank you but does anyone know how to do a clean install on a Fusion Drive?
@ToddJ

You did not specify model of the machine you own. If it is a laptop, I strongly suggest to invest in an SSD; you will see performance degradation otherwise (in comparison to those who do have SSD). The other item I would recommend is maximizing RAM.

Installing OS on a fusion drive is in no way different than doing so on an SSD.

If you want to erase your drive completely (you will loose all the data on that drive) and install completely fresh system, boot into recovery, then use disk utility to erase your drive. Once that is completed, use same recovery menu to re-install Mac OS. Please be aware that only the Mac OS (which can run natively on your machine) will be installed with that procedure. If your machine is compatible with Big Sur, than Big Sur (latest official release) will be installed on your "clean" drive. Thereafter, you can use Migration Assistant to move your data back from a backup ( A disclaimer: I never had to use Migration Assistant)

A less destructive way to reinstall OS, involves booting into recovery and simply choosing "re-install Mac OS" from disk recovery menu. Under normal circumstances, operating system will be reinstalled (latest compatible version) without erasing other data on your disk. However, there is never any guarantee of total success, therefore you should always have a recent verified backup.

One other necessary precaution is to check your drive thoroughly with disk utility to assure it is in good working order, and not about to fail.

Please follow the attached link, and do read Apple's official instructions: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904 (click on the link, or copy and paste link into your browser) It's only one page and very clear.

Hope this may be of same Help

27 inch iMac 13,2 with 1 TB Fusion Drive , 24 GB RAM, 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, Big Sur 11.5 beta1

Reactions: ToddJ
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.