Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdunlap

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
Ok, so I’ve held off until now on enabling iCloud Drive. I pay for the 200GB iCloud plan and I’m wondering what happens when I enable iCloud Drive. Do my files and folders sync from the Files app? What exactly gets saved when enabling this option? Just curious as to what the benefits are.

I also don’t have iCloud Photos enabled either as I tend to back everything up via iTunes so all my pictures come with it anyways.

Just trying to way the pros and cons to these services and see if it’s worth it.

Thanks in advance!

Five_Oh

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2017
Flyover Country, USA
If you're paying for it, you might as well use it.

When enabled, all your files (photos too) are available on any device signed into the same account. It tries to keep local copies of recent and often used items, and downloads the others on demand. One benefit is nearly instantaneous backup rather than waiting for a manual backup to iTunes (finder?).

It really works well, at least for me.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I used to fear it too but really it's one of the more convenient aspects of iOS.
It's just apple's reimagining of a personal web server. Instead of using a FTP program to send your stuff up to your web server and back down, Apole integrated that functionality into the Mac and iOS and pasted an awkward and limiting interface to it, then called it iCloud Drive.

It works quite well for what it is and isn't something to avoid You don't have to use iCloud Photos (I don't) but the syncing of your contacts and Safari bookmarks and passwords/login info is really very handy.

The problem with iCloud Drive (now called Files) is not so much using it but getting addicted to it and filling it up.

Reactions: adib and BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Syncing automatically with iCloud, iCloud Drive, and iCloud backups are different things. When you enable certain Apple apps like Photos, Contacts, Mail, Notes, Safari, Game Center, Keychain, and some third-party apps, it means you can have the same data available on multiple devices that have the same items enabled for iCloud.

One of the biggest advantages of using iCloud is to free up storage space on your device.

iCloud Drive is "documents that you store in iCloud Drive stay up to date across all of your devices, and you can access them from your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, or PC, and on iCloud.com." The UI is the Files app. Pages, Numbers, and Keynote also have document-specific folders there. So you can see documents stored there, but not data for the apps you're syncing with iCloud. For example, you can't see your Keychain data using the Files app.

iCloud backup backs up your iOS/iPadOS devices either manually or automatically (if locked and connected to wifi). You can also backup to iCloud and/or a Mac) using the Finder on a Mac on Catalina (or iTunes for earlier macOS).

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Be careful if/when you turn it off, I had an iCloud drive on for my mac, and once I turned it off. I "lost" all my data, not even sure how I got it all back.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I love it. Have all my documents and photos saved in iCloud Drive. Easy access from all my devices. I’ve surprised people by having quick access to receipts and similar quickly on my iPad.

Reactions: 0128672

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Note, files stored "On My iPad" will not be automatically synced. You'd need to copy those to iCloud Drive and explicitly store new files in iCloud Drive in future.

Reactions: The1andOnly

Geezerviser

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2021
I don't think so, I just bought an SSD and uploaded all the photos and videos there. iPhones for me are such a trouble sometimes, I mean the storage... and the iCloud issues. You should pay for every gb, and what about iCloud - if you forget your password, you can do nothing with your iPhone. Just unlocking the iCloud will work. At least that's what I did with my iPhone XR with the help of lockedtoowner.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.