Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
I have a few work applications that simply do not work with Android. For the past 5 years I have been carrying a top of the line android phone, changing it out twice a year sometimes. I have also always had an iphone in my pocket for work.

There is a new person helming the IT department, and she has moved some things around with our policies. It is now permissable to put company sim cards into private devices, and run a second service via esim. There is no need to run any tracking software, it will just mean tons of 2FA alerts.

There is no concrete policy banning android, but they have no interest in spending the money on developing the android apps to function correctly.

Leads me to a tough choice.

I hate carrying 2 phones everywhere I go but I really prefer android to iOS.

For those who went back permanently to ios, how did it go?

Reactions: jamezr

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
I've lived in both worlds extensively, and I can feel your pain at such a difficult decision. The good news is once you start integrating yourself back into Apple's ecosystems, you'll realise it's mostly all upsides. The added benefits of privacy and security are all part of the cohesive experience.

The downsides are you don't get to choose all the weird and wild Android handsets that come out pretty much every month of the year. Clearly you enjoy playing around with new devices. You only get what Apple offers you in September, unless a color change appeals mid-cycle, but overall the ecosystem is strong and unbeatable really.

Things like messages just working with most of your friends, excellent ad/tracker blocking, iOS apps being generally better than the Android ports, being able to use Apple Watch, health tools, and the seamless experience across all your devices etc. The latter point, of course, is if you go deep into Apple's ecosystems again. 😂

Johns12

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
I found no appreciable upside or downside in either system. You have to do what's best for you. Carrying two phones would not be my choice. Good luck with your decision.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

alphasports

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2019
I flip back n forth fairly often (iphone 12/pixel 6)...recently been using the iphone for a month straight which is very long for me, in terms of pure useability it's just such a clunker of an OS at this point, Android on the Pixel & my OP7T always blows me away after using iOS for an extended period, it's just so much more sensible and functional. That said I have a bunch of Apple stuff (Mac, watch, ipad, airpods) and the ecosystem thing is pretty handy & useful, but I can use everything but the watch with android no problem.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
While waaay back in time the differences were more major, nowadays I don’t think Android and iOS are really all that different for the consumer (excluding ecosystem things like iCloud/iMessage etc vs built in Google Services).

if you’re more of a tech enthusiast though and you need to run some special Android software that can only be sideloaded or you’re really into customizing your phone as a hobby, obviously you can’t do that with iOS.

iOS sounds way simpler in your case since you’ll just need one device. That said, I personally greatly prefer to keep my work and personal devices and accounts 1000000% separate.

Reactions: jamezr

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Things like messages just working with most of your friends, excellent ad/tracker blocking, iOS apps being generally better than the Android ports, being able to use Apple Watch, health tools, and the seamless experience across all your devices etc. The latter point, of course, is if you go deep into Apple's ecosystems again. 😂
I like the Apple Watch, don’t get me wrong. But Samsung has done an incredible job building out it’s ecosystem as well… from the Galaxy Tabs to their Galaxy Books and then there’s Windows integration.

And I get it, Apple has the best ecosystem… but I don’t think it’s to the point where if someone was to go elsewhere they will have a bad experience.

I’m the same way. I’ve done the two-phone setup, it’s not for me. But if you prefer Android and there’s no concrete policy banning it… what are we discussing here?

However, you mention apps function correctly on the iPhone…. What does that mean?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
If you prefer android stick with that

it’s important to choose what you like the most

even with great android features iOS is always my preference even if they are late on things.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I have a few work applications that simply do not work with Android. For the past 5 years I have been carrying a top of the line android phone, changing it out twice a year sometimes. I have also always had an iphone in my pocket for work.

There is a new person helming the IT department, and she has moved some things around with our policies. It is now permissable to put company sim cards into private devices, and run a second service via esim. There is no need to run any tracking software, it will just mean tons of 2FA alerts.

There is no concrete policy banning android, but they have no interest in spending the money on developing the android apps to function correctly.

Every time I go to iOS I get bored in a month and I'm back on Android. The gap that used to be there between Android and iOS is long gone IMO.

When I use iOS I hate the lightning port, crap notification system, no Google search from home screen (the Google iOS widget isnt the same), lack of customisation (their version of widgets is a step forward, still nowhere near as good), and just the excitement of a good android device. That's without the subtle niceties some android devices bring like Google's Now Playing feature which I love, the better cameras on Android (iPhone cameras are not as good IMO), spam call monitor and blocker the list goes on and on.

Apple's devices are so boring. Across the board. The last exciting product was the coloured iMac's. It's all well and good if all you want is boring and solid, and many people do which is understandable, but every year they give you the same phone for £1000+.
Google looks to me doing the same with the Pixel 7 though, such is the nature of the market. Although they are hopefully going to charge hundreds less for their Pro model.

My preference is 100% Android. I've not used iOS since the Flip 3 came out last year and haven't looked back. Don't miss an iPhone one bit.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia

Sounds like whatever you do, you have to have an iPhone as there are apps for your work that are iOS only.

So you have two options.
First, do what you've been doing, the company provided iPhone for work and you personal Android. This is imo the best way. Keep work stuff completely separate from personal.

Second is to go with the work iPhone only. Not recommended, but if you only want one device, sounds like this is the only choice. It depends on what Android app/feature that is not available on iOS and you must find alternative or workaround. If all the apps you have on Android are available on iOS, then the transition should be easy. Everything else is just preference. Google and Microsoft services work great on iOS, so you don't really lose much if you rely on Google/Microsoft services already.

I personally wouldn't use iPhone as my primary driver as iPhones cannot do twin apps (eg. dual whatsapp accounts on one phone). Also, the top 3 carriers in my country don't do eSIM, so iPhones here are practically single SIM devices, and I must have dual SIM. My iPhone 7+ is relegated for banking purposes only.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
While waaay back in time the differences were more major, nowadays I don’t think Android and iOS are really all that different for the consumer (excluding ecosystem things like iCloud/iMessage etc vs built in Google Services).

if you’re more of a tech enthusiast though and you need to run some special Android software that can only be sideloaded or you’re really into customizing your phone as a hobby, obviously you can’t do that with iOS.

iOS sounds way simpler in your case since you’ll just need one device. That said, I personally greatly prefer to keep my work and personal devices and accounts 1000000% separate.

The Operating Systems may not be a million miles apart, although they are in terms of privacy and security, but apps are higher quality on iOS and iPadOS with a much more vibrant ecosystem of independent developers. Apps like Instagram function better on iOS, although that's really due to the wide range of devices that Android fans see as a benefit.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
...Things like messages just working with most of your friends...
The OP did not provide any information as to what phones his friends use. Why do you assume most of his friends use iPhones? 90% of my friends use Android and the few on iPhones have no problem with sending or receiving messages to/from me.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
The OP did not provide any information as to what phones his friends use. Why do you assume most of his friends use iPhones? 90% of my friends use Android and the few on iPhones have no problem with sending or receiving messages to/from me.

Fair point.

I just sometimes assume 100% of the world is using iPhone, when really it's just the people in my life.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I switched when the iPhone 5 came out and never looked back. I was thinking about it till I was issued an Android work phone. That completely shut down any curiosity I had about it 😂

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.