Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jazz1

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I've got an M1 MacMini and two 27" Dell monitors side by side in "landscape" Mode. Even though I've dissed Stage Manager, I'm warming up to it again for ease of use as having one application window open on each monitor is easier for these old eyes, than arranging multiple small application windows.

I'm not a gamer. But I do love to edit photos on my main left screen.

Would a curved monitor of 40" or 40" plus sized be easier to deal with with the advantage of the curved screen kind of curving into my field of vision? Note my current Dell 27" set-up places the left screen almost square in front of me, with the right screen causing me to turn my neck.

I've also considered going turning the screen for portrait vs. landscape mode. Stacking the two monitors in landscape mode, one above the others would make a pretty tall neck crane.

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
I've also considered going turning the screen for portrait vs. landscape mode.
40" (diagonal) monitor is going to be very difficult to rotate. If you have a heavy duty arm and used a VESA mount you could do it, but I still think you'll find it quite awkward.

Second issue: most of the ultrawides I've seen for sale are 1440p (if not 1080p). A 2160p 40" ultrawide is rare and not inexpensive.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I realize it's not "curved", but have you considered a single 43" 4k flat panel running in "full 4k" mode (i.e., not HiDPI) ??

Reactions: jazz1

dizzbuster

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2021
I have a Dell 40 incher curved (5k) running with my M2 and it is truly awesome for my needs. A 43 inch 4k would be nice as well. It depends on your use case. YMMV. I would think the M1 would be similar.

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I second #4. That Dell 40" 5K2K curved monitor is a fantastic one to pair with Mac. I could never go back to approx. 16:10 screens now that I'm used to it. Coming from a 27" iMac, it feels like I now have 2 iMac screens merged together. Unlike ASD, with more than 1 input- FOUR actually- I also plugged a Mini PC into it for "old fashioned bootcamp" and can split screen with Mac & PC on screen at the same time (like Paralells with full Windows- not ARM Windows- without the annual subscription).

It has a loaded hub with mainstream ports so that both Mac and PC can share many key accessories like keyboard, mouse, speakers, printer, hubs, webcam, etc.

full

It's basically the price of ASD with a stand option but comes with all of the stand options instead of just one, MUCH more screen R.E. and that hub for great accessory flexibility. If it conked tonight, I'd buy a replacement immediately.

The one thing to know: Dell previewed a new version of this monitor at CES2024 and I believe it is supposed to roll out by end of this month for about $300 more than the existing one.

OP, there is PLENTY of screen here. While I don't have to significantly turn my head, there is some distance edge-to-edge. I suggest you locate one at a local retail store, go plop down in front of it and imagine your usual 2 screens in this one and see what you think in terms of how much you have to turn your head to see edge-to-edge. Or, if you want to "fake" it, cut or tape off a rectangle at a little more than 37" wide as a representation of the edge-to-edge width (40" is a diagonal measure).

Last edited:

dizzbuster

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2021
Below is what is reported by macOS. There is also a KVM built in (I have not figured that out yet).

DELL U4021QW:
Resolution: 5120 x 2160 (Ultra-wide 5K)
UI Looks like: 5120 x 2160 @ 60.00Hz
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported

Reactions: jazz1 and picpicmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.