Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
USA
I currently use my iPhone X. Had it since new. I am very intrigued by the new Note 20 Ultra, but I have never owned an Android phone before. I am heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem with my iMac, iPad and apple watch, but I am curious to try the Note 20. I would probably also pick up a samsung smart watch to replace the apple watch since I think my apple watch won't work without an iPhone. I am disappointed in the iPhone 12's lack of 120Hz. I would have rather had that than 5G to be honest. Anyways my concerns are - is there a way to somehow still use iCloud on an android phone? Mainly for my photos? Also what about my library of purchased iTunes shows/movies? Is there a way to watch them on the Note 20? Anything else I should know in order to make everything work together as best as possible? Thanks for any advice!

LTENETWORK

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra is really good choice. But I'd say you have to keep in mind there are some annoying things, why I switched to iOS. First one is to get things work isn't easy. Exsample: RCS. I know my mobile operator supports RCS and Samsung has this feature included as well in own devices. It was mess, I tried to get find out why doesn't work. After long discovery you have to setup account with Google Duo, after worked. Next like Nearby share. As well you turn on but it doesn't work. Phone doesn't see other devices and my device not came up on other phones. I search in setting what is missing. Unfortunatelly what is in Samsung page, doesn't helped in both situations. Because there aren't marked prerequired things what must to do get things to work.
Finally last what @#%#@ me off pop up promotions, offers, ads in Samsung Galaxy Store. If I'm buying £1000+ device I don't want to see ads, promotions, offers. I'm not playing games. I'm not interested in in-app purchases discounts, or Fortnite mega deal etc. I reported to twitter about this. Samsung didn't respond. So I switched to iOS device.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I currently use my iPhone X. Had it since new. I am very intrigued by the new Note 20 Ultra, but I have never owned an Android phone before. I am heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem with my iMac, iPad and apple watch, but I am curious to try the Note 20. I would probably also pick up a samsung smart watch to replace the apple watch since I think my apple watch won't work without an iPhone. I am disappointed in the iPhone 12's lack of 120Hz. I would have rather had that than 5G to be honest. Anyways my concerns are - is there a way to somehow still use iCloud on an android phone? Mainly for my photos? Also what about my library of purchased iTunes shows/movies? Is there a way to watch them on the Note 20? Anything else I should know in order to make everything work together as best as possible? Thanks for any advice!
From what I've seen you can use iCloud on a Samsung device if you use a web browser and iCloud.com, you can sign in on there. As for moving everything across, Samsung have an App called Smart switch. You can move everything across I believe.

If you have Apple Music, you can download the app for Android. However what I found out is that you CAN'T use Apple Music on a Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 that is really annoying to me as I run a lot and really like to have my ear buds in playing music.

iTunes content I'm not 100% sure, it's a good question because I also have a lot of movies and TV shows on there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.