Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
I'm currently using a Dell and frankly, I have had WAY too many problems with it. I am currently a Junior at West Virginia University, can anyone say Educational Discount?
Anyway, I need to buy a new television and I'm thinking why not make my MB a television. I looked at the Elgato products and it looks like it'll do exactly what I want it to do. The only thing in my mind is do I really want to have the portability of the MB or should I go for the 20"/24" iMac? I mean, I'd say that it'll be used 75% of the time as a television, so I'm leaning towards the iMac, but I really want a laptop to be able to travel and take to the library, etc.
I'm going to wait for a while and see how the new MB's look, if they do come out?
Basically, help me out, I want to switch from Microsoft, I hate the company and everything about it, I like the simplicity of Mac's, plus I just got a dog, so I'm looking forward to taking pictures and being able to edit through the supplied software. Any opinions?
Thanks,
Jay

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
...Maybe, as a compromise, buy an 20" iMac, and for the library, an iPod touch. :D

You can read plenty of threads comparing and contrasting notebooks to desktops, but ultimately, the only person that knows the right answer is you. Everyone's needs in that respect are different.

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Using your computer as your main television sounds like a terrible idea to me.

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
Yeah, I understand what you're saying about the tv issue, but in all honesty it's just for my bedroom. I have a 61" Samsung DLP in my living room :), so I don't need much, just something to watch Leno before I go to bed. Thanks for the suggestions, keep em' coming.

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Yeah, I understand what you're saying about the tv issue, but in all honesty it's just for my bedroom. I have a 61" Samsung DLP in my living room :), so I don't need much, just something to watch Leno before I go to bed. Thanks for the suggestions, keep em' coming.

Get a laptop and use it in your living room?

Get a cheap TV?

icec0ld

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2006
do yourself a favor. get a laptop and a slingbox. that way you can watch tv ON your laptop through your wifi.

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
Educational Discount

I was expecting that sooner in the thread...lol.

Anyway, I bit the bullet and went ahead and got a cheap T.V. (Vizio 37") and I'm waiting on the MB to get updated. As soon as that happens I'm buying. Meanwhile, I just ordered an iPhone refurb and that should keep me busy for a while. Looking forward to getting into this Apple stuff... Can anyone recommend a good point-and-shoot camera by any chance? Looking for something sub 350, I kinda like Sony...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.