Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I’m thinking of installing Windows 7 on a late 2011 MBP/16Gb/500Gb SSD/dGPU. It is for my wife and I would like it to be simple for her.
She needs a replacement for a failing Dell laptop and the 2011 MBP is not being used. She needs the Windows OS to verify the correct PC appearance of her web site that she updates weekly. She also plays her Facebook games while watching TV.

1. Is there a way to have the Mac boot up in Windows/Boot Camp automatically upon the computer start up?

2. Will the sound work?

3. Will the backlit keyboard light up using Windows?

4. Recommendations for backing up the Boot Camp partition?

Thank you for any recommendations.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
1. Yes. You can choose what OS to boot into by default or use Windows as the sole operating system. The Boot Camp software on Windows allows you to choose. I am more than happy to screenshot what the software looks like if you like.

2. Yes. All hardware is functioning with the Boot Camp software. These Macs make some of the best PCs.

3. Yes. The backlit keyboard and trackpad work perfectly fine under Windows. The trackpad will lack some of the advanced gestures afforded under OS X however.

4. I personally do file backups manually, but there are a number of free Windows utilities to use for backup.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
You would choose the default OS here.

Boot Camp Assistant.png

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Another thing to be aware of if running Windows on a Mac is that the keyboard mapping is different. The command key becomes the Windows key in that operating system, so you'll have two of those but only one control key.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Altemose - Thanks for the picture of the Boot Camp Control Panel.

saturnotaku - Good to know about the different keyboard mapping. I didn't know about that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.