Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Sorry, in my sidetrack I'd missed the purchase! Congrats and I think that's a great choice!

On cards, I'm a big believer in as big as is reasonable, and fortunately with SD cards even high end ones are relatively inexpensive(don't look at CFE B cards unless you want some sticker shock!).

One thing I will say is that I'm a big fan of not putting all my eggs in one basket, so to speak, and tend toward multiple smaller cards. When I used Compact Flash cards, I used a lot of 32gb and 64gb cards even in 36mp cameras. Now I tend to buy 128gb CFe cards just because they get too pricey/gb lower than that. My main reason for that is that I don't want to park cards in the camera for too long and if one is broken or damaged, that's less lost. Dual slot cameras, like the XT-2, make me feel a lot better about that though.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I don't think the OP needs to worry about CFE cards, since that model Fuji doesn't use them anyway. Yes, I am one who for years was careful about not putting all my eggs in one basket and I tended to use lower-capacity cards in my cameras, usually maybe increasing the capacity when buying a new body but still using my older cards as well. Now I have a lovely collection somewhere in a drawer of old CF cards that I no longer use at all since none of my current cameras uses those, and a collection of small-capacity SD cards that have been replaced by somewhat larger-capacity SD cards over the years. When I was ready to purchase the A1 I already knew the type of shooting I'd be doing with that camera and so purchased two CFE Type A 128 GB cards immediately in preparation, later adding a third as a spare. In the early days memory cards were small in capacity and high in cost, but over time SD cards are quite reasonably priced now, but newer types of cards such as the CFE ones are still pretty expensive.

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
Morning update …
1681893396920.png

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
wow! that was fast! i hope you found a suitable memory card to get started. 🙂

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
wow! that was fast! i hope you found a suitable memory card to get started. 🙂
Yes it was very quick delivery. Camera, lens and even the spare battery came with original boxes. Awaiting delivery of memory card and re-reading well-thumbed manual. Might re-watch an unpacking vid on YouTube in meantime.

Reactions: mollyc

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
I can't tell, did you go with the 27mm? It's a nice little lens from what I hear. Most pancake lenses can be a little slower to focus, so keep that in mind. Most other lenses focus faster, to near instantly. Hard to pass up super compact though.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Speedy delivery! Holy cow! That's almost as fast as Amazon's same-day delivery!

Enjoy reading the manual and figuring out the new member of your family! That is good that everything came with the original boxes. Many of us do that, keep the boxes when something is new and then have them ready to use when the camera or lens is moving on to a new home.

Have you looked to see if anyone has written an e-book or print book about this camera model? I know there are some available for other brands of camera so I would guess that there might be for Fujifilm cameras as well. They can be very useful in the beginning as a setting-up tool and also to refer to later on when you've forgotten how to adjust a setting or something odd happens and you are not sure how to correct it.

Welcome to the fascinating world of digital photography....

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Sounds like a great choice and I might even be a shade jealous.

BTW Historically Fuji tends to bias their images to match their slide films. Of course E6 films are biased a shade towards the Cyan, or with Fuji more of a slight greenish cyan. This was a way to compensate for the various emulsion layers not being totally insensitive to colors other than the one they were supposed to capture. Good news is that slight bias is easily corrected with the white or color balance tool post process. Even using good old Preview just nudge the warmth slider a tad to the right of center.

Hope you enjoy this camera as much as I think you will!

Last edited:
Reactions: StrollerEd

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Fuji cameras are so fun. You will love it.

The two digital Fujis I have are very different in styling and handling, and yet they have a very familiar feel with each other. I could never give up my Nikons, because I shoot too much in the way of sports and they serve me well; the Nikons are extremely capable and I'm glad I have them.

But the Fujis....I got my first in November and my second last month, and they have just stolen my heart. It helps that I also have two Fujica film cameras, and the X100V is very reminscent of the STX-1, so I felt right at home picking up a Fuji. There really is something different about Fuji. (This is probably how Leica users feel, but the Fujis are at least reasonably priced, lol....)

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
Speedy delivery! Holy cow! That's almost as fast as Amazon's same-day delivery!

Enjoy reading the manual and figuring out the new member of your family! That is good that everything came with the original boxes. Many of us do that, keep the boxes when something is new and then have them ready to use when the camera or lens is moving on to a new home.

Have you looked to see if anyone has written an e-book or print book about this camera model? I know there are some available for other brands of camera so I would guess that there might be for Fujifilm cameras as well. They can be very useful in the beginning as a setting-up tool and also to refer to later on when you've forgotten how to adjust a setting or something odd happens and you are not sure how to correct it.

Welcome to the fascinating world of digital photography....
I've been watching and using several vids on YT for set up. Still struggling connecting to iPhone app and to my MBP via wifi though :(

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
get a card reader; phone apps, especially the fuji one, are notorious for being finicky. card readers will be much faster. (or if you have an SD reader built in, which I suspect you do, based on your signature, just use that).

Reactions: Darmok N Jalad

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
get a card reader; phone apps, especially the fuji one, are notorious for being finicky. card readers will be much faster. (or if you have an SD reader built in, which I suspect you do, based on your signature, just use that).
Yes, I do have an inbuilt card reader :)

But really disappointed with the iOS app and it seems to be plain that the desktop app is not compatible with Ventura :(

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
What's the desktop app? I have connected the iOS app to my GFX without much difficulty, but haven't tried the x100 yet.

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
And I've found a service,
which looks at the metadata for the shutter count, so it has been used, but not grossly so.

Image FileDSCF6990.JPG
CameraFUJIFILM/X-T2
Timestamp2023:04:19 18:16:52
Shutter Count30810

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
What's the desktop app? I have connected the iOS app to my GFX without much difficulty, but haven't tried the x100 yet.

but check out

and it is plain that it is well behind the Mac/os curve

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I must be am old-fashioned, as I never bother with the WiFi setup in my cameras to connect them to my computer; I always use a card reader to get the files into the computer, then after I've culled and edited them, upload chosen images to here and other forums from the computer..... I don't use the SD card reader in my machine, as two of my cameras use CFE Type A cards and the rest use SD cards; the card reader is a dual one which works with each.

I also prefer to have the written/printed word in front of me when setting up a new camera or device; occasionally I'll watch a YT to get some tips on using particular software but again I prefer it if the software manufacturer provides a Users' Guide of some sort in print or available online.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.