Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
The only thing the Dell has going for it over the XDR is the camera/speakers - neither of which I use. Text clarity is equal. But in all other ways the XDR is superior. Money aside, I'd 100% rather have the XDR. That's not to say the Dell is a bad option. But it's like comparing a Toyota to a Porsche.

do you think the XDR’s panel is any better than the Dell’s? I’ve developed eye strain since getting the Dell, whereas I didn’t with my prior 27” 5K glossy display. Could totally be coincidence — the text on the Dell 6k is super clear as you mention (I’m running it at the recommended resolution). Wondering if it could be the matte coating.

So now I’m thinking about getting the XDR. $6K with stand is a lot to stomach, tho. You mention Toyota vs Porsche… I think I’d say entry Lexus versus top-end Ferrari.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
do you think the XDR’s panel is any better than the Dell’s? I’ve developed eye strain since getting the Dell, whereas I didn’t with my prior 27” 5K glossy display. Could totally be coincidence — the text on the Dell 6k is super clear as you mention (I’m running it at the recommended resolution). Wondering if it could be the matte coating.

So now I’m thinking about getting the XDR. $6K with stand is a lot to stomach, tho. You mention Toyota vs Porsche… I think I’d say entry Lexus versus top-end Ferrari.
Yeah. I definitely think it's better. The XDR is a work of art. It's like all things Apple - very pricey for what it is, but delivers exactly as promised. If the money isn't a factor and you don't care about it being long in the tooth - you will not be disappointed.

Reactions: MikeDr206

Wheel_D

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2016

Again, there’s indication that Apple may announce a new model at WWDC in June. If you can wait two months, it’s advisable to do so. If nothing else, perhaps you could get the older XDR at a discount.

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
Again, there’s indication that Apple may announce a new model at WWDC in June. If you can wait two months, it’s advisable to do so. If nothing else, perhaps you could get the older XDR at a discount.

Yeah, I will be doing that. It may just be my aging eyes ...

I would love to have a glossy 32" screen. And internal speakers like the Dell has. I understand that there's an Apple price premium ... $4,250 with the Pro stand would be more in-line with my expectations these days.

I do wish the Dell's webcam was removable. I find it awful, and have attached my old Logi webcam to the top of the monitor, which looks a bit silly.

MegaBlue

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2022
Tennessee, United States
Yeah, I will be doing that. It may just be my aging eyes ...

I would love to have a glossy 32" screen. And internal speakers like the Dell has. I understand that there's an Apple price premium ... $4,250 with the Pro stand would be more in-line with my expectations these days.

I do wish the Dell's webcam was removable. I find it awful, and have attached my old Logi webcam to the top of the monitor, which looks a bit silly.
Hopefully the next Pro Display XDR will include a sound system similar to the Studio Display and iMac. Regardless of what you think of them, those sound systems sound way better than you think they would.

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
Hopefully the next Pro Display XDR will include a sound system similar to the Studio Display and iMac. Regardless of what you think of them, those sound systems sound way better than you think they would.

I've found the iMac (and the old ThunderBolt display ... haven't used the Studio Display) to have exceptional sound. Yes, not as good as spending $500 on a pair of external speakers, but so much nicer than, say, the Dell's.

I've always been amazed as how good my iPad Pro M1's speakers are. I don't listen to much using the speakers (instead I use AirPods), but when I do it's always, "this thing has no business sounding as good as it does."

MegaBlue

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2022
Tennessee, United States
I've found the iMac (and the old ThunderBolt display ... haven't used the Studio Display) to have exceptional sound. Yes, not as good as spending $500 on a pair of external speakers, but so much nicer than, say, the Dell's.

I've always been amazed as how good my iPad Pro M1's speakers are. I don't listen to much using the speakers (instead I use AirPods), but when I do it's always, "this thing has no business sounding as good as it does."

If there's one thing I feel like everyone can agree on, whether they love Apple or hate them, it's that they really do put some top notch speakers in their products. The speakers on my 15" Air sound better than some PCs I've seen with "branded" audio systems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.