Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonathan.T.Harpur

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2022
SionMills Northern Ireland
hello I been using apple ecosystem for 10 years now but I am at the point that I can't really just hand that sort of money out them and I been looking at googles ecosystem I many use iPhone iMac 27 and MacBook 16 inch

I been watching google unboxed and it seem to me google has come a long way since it starting make devices and just wondering has any one made the switch over to them from apple and how they got on with it

I would like to her the good and bad sides to it as I say I just having a look over the fence to see what over there :)

PandaPunch

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
I've never got super deep into the Google ecosystem outside of Chrome and Android. But, from the looks of it, if you're not turned off by Chromebooks then if you went all in, you would be getting similar functionality to Apple (using your desktop/laptop for calls and texting, AirDrop like feature with Nearby Share, etc).

My only gripe is that it seems like Google's products don't always work well but that's a personal issue, you might get a bunch of Google devices and find that they work totally well.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Android is fine in phones.

Tablets aren’t very good. Due to lack of apps optimized for tables. Making them like giant phones.

Chrome OS is fine if all you need is a web interface. If you need a real computer. You’ll want Windows/Linux.

I‘ve got Android phones. I use them with Windows. There just isn’t as seamless a level of cross integration between devices. Also apps from the same companies don’t seem as polished on Android as iOS. That’s using a vanilla Pixel.

What I’d suggest is get a used Pixel 4/XL and Thinkpad T470/T480 on eBay. Not the latest tech but respectable enough for good performance. Yet cheap enough to not break the bank. Use it solely for three months.

If you are happy. You can sell it and get the latest. If not sell it and run back to Apple. After dealing with seller fees. Maybe you’ll lose $100 to “rent” the tech for a few months. Seems better than to go all in. Without knowing if it’ll work out for you.

Reactions: ozaz

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Just some thoughts… Google doesn’t really have any devices equivalent to the iMac or MacBook. A Chromebook is probably fine for most people, but it has a very watered down OS compared to macOS or Windows. Chrome OS is more comparable to iPadOS.

If you’re thinking a Chromebook would suit your needs, then having an iMac 27” and a MacBook 16” is probably overkill for you. Why not get a cheaper MacBook Air, or an iPad?

It’s possible to be in the Apple ecosystem without being expensive. Is there a need for you to have an iMac and MacBook? Could the MacBook take the role of the iMac too? Or could a cheaper iPad fill the role of your MacBook (considering you were looking at Chromebooks)? As for phones, older generation iPhones can be had for much cheaper yet still be functional and relevant. Apple still sells the previous two generations brand new.

Also, what do most of your family and friends use? Sometimes that can make a big difference in your ecosystem experience as well, especially if you’re sharing photos, documents, calendars, etc. often. It’s always easier if everyone is in the same one, not just yourself and your devices.

So I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s the ecosystem itself that’s expensive. It’s whether the need to have the latest and greatest or not is what can make it expensive. Be honest with yourself and ask “do I really need X for $2000 when when Y for $900 is perfectly capable?” Or “do I really need to be upgrading as often as I am?”

Last edited:
Reactions: gusmula

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
hello I been using apple ecosystem for 10 years now but I am at the point that I can't really just hand that sort of money out them and I been looking at googles ecosystem I many use iPhone iMac 27 and MacBook 16 inch

I been watching google unboxed and it seem to me google has come a long way since it starting make devices and just wondering has any one made the switch over to them from apple and how they got on with it

I would like to her the good and bad sides to it as I say I just having a look over the fence to see what over there :)
I'll preface my response by saying that I avoid getting heavily invested in ANY ecosystem. The costs (direct and indirect) outweigh any benefits.

To the extent that I DO partake of ecosystems, I much prefer Google's ecosystem over Apple's (or Samsungs, or Microsoft's).

The greatest benefit to it is that it is platform-neutral. Google produces apps and services that run on virtually every desktop and mobile platform. There are some of Google's apps that are more advanced on iOS than on Android.

I have iPads, iPhones, Android tablets, chromebooks, Windows notebooks, chromebooks, and iMacs and all of them are unified by Google's apps and services. I love the freedom and flexibility that the ecosystem provides. It allows me to buy interesting and quirky devices knowing that they'll fit right in the mix.

Last edited:

flybub

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2011
I use both Apple and Google. My wife uses an Android phone and I was on Android for over a decade so I was in the Google world.

Both have their benefits, though. Currently using MacBook Pro 2014, ipad Mini 4, and iphone XR, obviously not top of the line equipment and it serves me just fine. For personal use, the Apple ecosystem fits my needs better than Google's in regards to:
-devices connecting, handoff is a beautiful thing.
-Airdrop files between my devices or coworkers.
-Apple support.
-The apps typically have the same design language, with my OCD this is a plus.

That being said, here's what I use Google for:
-Google Drive. Once a month I backup important documents or whatever I have on my MB or Phone.
-Google Photos. All photos on my phone and MB get backed up then I delete them off my devices for more storage.
-Keep Notes. With my wife using Android we use this to share/collaborate notes. Christmas lists, birthday gift ideas, vacation ideas, etc.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
First of all, there's no Google "ecosystem" in terms of hardware. Google only makes phones, Pixel. No tablets, smartwatch, etc. So to use a Google "ecosystem," you have to be ready to use devices from multiple OEMs, which can mean inconsistencies and different feels from one device to the next.

For computers, unless you can live with a Chromebook, you have no choice to go Windows. And Google just hates Microsoft. The only Google "app" on Windows is probably just the Google Drive app and Chrome. To enjoy the Google ecosystem, you have to be comfortable doing most things on the browser. No Photos app, you have to access Google Photos from the browser. The upside is once you switch your mindset of having everything in the cloud on Google's platform, then you can enjoy the Google "ecosystem" on any hardware.

For a closer experience to Apple's ecosystem, the closest is probably Samsung. You can get Samsung phone, watch, laptop, tablet, etc. And they have similar UI aestethics that you will feel you are in one ecosystem. Of course, Samsung doesn't make the software. You will still need to rely on Google and/or Microsoft (Android and Windows).

In the end, nothing matches Apple in terms of a single company offering everything, from software, hardware, and services. Google/Microsoft focused on the software and services only.

kaardowiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2018
Zürich, Switzerland
Is there already something like Apples 2FA autofill from SMS to Apps and browser? E.g 2FA SMS on Browser for banking, company login etc? Or only for specific ones that have an explicit API integrated?

flybub

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2011
Is there already something like Apples 2FA autofill from SMS to Apps and browser? E.g 2FA SMS on Browser for banking, company login etc? Or only for specific ones that have an explicit API integrated?
Not that I'm aware of. Usually you can go into your messages and copy the code and it will sometimes let you paste it in the browser or app requesting the code. But in typical android fashion, sometimes it doesn't work and you'll have to type the code.

I have a couple websites for work that if I tap in the username box it will bring up the dialog box with fingerprint scanner to autofill the username and password. But then there are times where I tap in the box and nothing happens so I have to type everything in. Not sure how or why it happens, but it does.

I will give Apple credit, when it comes to login/security they are on top of the game. I never had an issue on that front.

airbusking

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
Texas
I agree w everything SRACER said. I migrated from iPad to Samsung tablets and am pleased with them. I prefer Goggle photos to Apple, love my Pixel.

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
I don't care about anyone's "ecosystem".

I use an Android mobile phone, Chromebooks, multiple macOS systems and keep one iPad around for occasional use.

My contacts and calendar are synced on Google (with Advanced Protection Program... two hardware tokens) so I have interoperability and security with whatever platform I'm using.

• Wow
Reactions: DeepIn2U

Jason2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2019
Planet Earth

Google can not be trusted. Plus they are horrible with hardware. The latest Pixel 6 is a joke for the money. There is currently nothing that matches Apple continuity. And to get the best experience with Google you will still spend good money. Google recently got caught collecting users text and phones calls. Collecting way more data than they needed for the benefit of the feature advertised. And they will continue doing this. The only reason they change is when they get caught. Sure Apple collects some user data but not the the extend of Google. And what data they collect they hold onto and do not sell user profiles to advertisers. One could argue the real cost of Google services is more than Apple's. Make the jump to Android but I recommend doing it Google free as much as you can.

Reactions: Alwis

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
As much I understand where Jason2000 is coming from, I do feel that all manufactures and service providers use/reviews/sells consumer data. I feel it is just the World we live in now.

Of course, this is merely my opinion...

In relation to the thread, I do feel that when am using Windows, I miss the flexibility of sharing easily photos and even general conversation via iMessage. From time to time, I may drag and drop internet related things, directly to an iMessage.

Now, one could say am simply wrapped into Apple's ecosystem. Well, it does just work.

Jonathan.T.Harpur

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2022
SionMills Northern Ireland
After getting a lend of my cousin old goole pixel 5 and a older google Cromebook

I will stay with apple as I like the usage between devices

when I sat down and thought about it they are defiantly worth there money in long term usage

my first iMac MacBook are both late 2009 and both had the highest (Core 2 Duo) and ram u code get at that time

and self upgrade to to 2tb hard drives

both ran from Mountain Lion 2012 to High Sierra 2017 so that's 5 years and not one problem :)

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I'll preface my response by saying that I avoid getting heavily invested in ANY ecosystem. The costs (direct and indirect) outweigh any benefits.

To the extent that I DO partake of ecosystems, I much prefer Google's ecosystem over Apple's (or Samsungs, or Microsoft's).

The greatest benefit to it is that it is platform-neutral. Google produces apps and services that run on virtually every desktop and mobile platform. There are some of Google's apps that are more advanced on iOS than on Android.

I have iPads, iPhones, Android tablets, chromebooks, Windows notebooks, chromebooks, and iMacs and all of them are unified by Google's apps and services. I love the freedom and flexibility that the ecosystem provides. It allows me to buy interesting and quirky devices knowing that they'll fit right in the mix.
Reading this makes it look like you're heavily invested in Google. If you're using one "unified" system to being everything together, then that's where you're invested, your statement to the contrary notwithstanding.

TechnoLawyer

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2021
You'll be happier long term if you buy Samsung phones, not Google phones. Google finds a way to have some hardware/software flaw that causes real issues with their phones 100% of the time. (yes I'm aware they make Android, yet they somehow have bugs in their own phones that Samsung avoids)

Reactions: ian87w

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
You'll be happier long term if you buy Samsung phones, not Google phones. Google finds a way to have some hardware/software flaw that causes real issues with their phones 100% of the time. (yes I'm aware they make Android, yet they somehow have bugs in their own phones that Samsung avoids)
Yup, that’s the funny part. It’s even funnier that Samsung now promises longer OS updates than Google Pixel. Maybe it is a good idea to buy a phone made by an electronics company instead of an advertising company… ?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
The synching and communication within the Apple ecosystem is something I enjoy. And, Apple make it work so well...
Don't know how well Google do this but Samsung have gotten pretty good at integration between all their devices including their laptops.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
As much I understand where Jason2000 is coming from, I do feel that all manufactures and service providers use/reviews/sells consumer data. I feel it is just the World we live in now.

Of course, this is merely my opinion...

In relation to the thread, I do feel that when am using Windows, I miss the flexibility of sharing easily photos and even general conversation via iMessage. From time to time, I may drag and drop internet related things, directly to an iMessage.

Now, one could say am simply wrapped into Apple's ecosystem. Well, it does just work.
It absolutely does work well together but it is also incredibly difficult to get out of. Once you go all in with Apple it makes it hard to consider products from other manufacturers.

Last edited:
Reactions: svish and circatee

kaardowiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2018
Zürich, Switzerland
Not that I'm aware of. Usually you can go into your messages and copy the code and it will sometimes let you paste it in the browser or app requesting the code. But in typical android fashion, sometimes it doesn't work and you'll have to type the code.

(…)
Thanks for the reply. Sad to hear, this is an awesome feature, especially when you need to do it hourly for security by obscurity VPN admins.
I will give Apple credit, when it comes to login/security they are on top of the game. I never had an issue on that front.
Full ack!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.