Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
I'm going to see if I can get my hands on one today.

It's much more limited than something I really want, with low storage, no cell data and lack of back camera. I figure I can try it out for a couple of weeks, and easily sell it for just a small loss.

It looks to be a real sweet performer for anyone who can live with it's limitations.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Excellent. You're making this all the more tempting, Rod.

I suppose by viewing most pages in portrait, you probably have to cut off the sides, which are typically ads or site links you don't need to see constantly? This is a big concern to me because I figure landscape browsing would require a lot of scrolling and be kind of a pain.

Any 7" tablet will have it's limitations which is why the first iPad was introduce was 9.7"

I find it's a much more pleasant web experience using the Nexus 7 over the Kindle Fire. But i'll take my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 for web browsing any day. :)

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
Anyone having any luck finding these in stock anywhere?

Here in Austin the response I'm getting is that the first shipment sold out everywhere in about 5 minutes, the the stores are getting hammered by calls about when it will be back in stock.

I'm interested in trying one out, but not interested in fighting mobs, and running all over town trying to get one. Perhaps I'll get lucky with the Best Buy that's within waling distance from me ...

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Anyone having any luck finding these in stock anywhere?

Here in Austin the response I'm getting is that the first shipment sold out everywhere in about 5 minutes, the the stores are getting hammered by calls about when it will be back in stock.

I'm interested in trying one out, but not interested in fighting mobs, and running all over town trying to get one. Perhaps I'll get lucky with the Best Buy that's within waling distance from me ...

They sold out really fast yesterday. I guess the glowing reviews helped the hype along with the price. Within 1 hour yesterday morning Office Depot and Staples were out of stock. I'm sure more are on the way.

ASUS is not a small company. It's a nice problem to have, not having enough stock. I'm sure the Google execs must be smiling. :cool:

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Having very little on-board storage and no mobile data capability has to hurt the usage on the go.

More than half of my iPad's storage is filled with my music. Since I can store my music with Google Music Player (up to 20,000 songs), I don't think I need a lot of space especially for my next phone.

I just ordered the 7. Hopefully, it'll live up to the hype.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
They sold out really fast yesterday. I guess the glowing reviews helped the hype along with the price. Within 1 hour yesterday morning Office Depot and Staples were out of stock. I'm sure more are on the way.

ASUS is not a small company. It's a nice problem to have, not having enough stock. I'm sure the Google execs must be smiling. :cool:

I'm sure they'll be selling these things as fast as they can make them.

Office Depot gave me Tuesday as their next shipment date, but advised strongly to be there before opening time -- not quite the sort of thing I'm into. Perhaps at Best Buy which I can just walk to easily enough.

info

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
Bay Area
Many of the apps are available on both platforms and you will quite often find your data syncing perfectly between Android and iOS. Of course you would have to buy the same programs twice but it's more often than not well worth it.

Android has many unique powers and, these days, it is unwise to limit oneself to a single platform. As a user and admirer of Apple products myself, I feel almost certain that you would not regret adding Android to your toolbox.

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Nexus 7 will be test case. If it work out well, my next phone will be the next Nexus phone instead of iPhone 5.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
Check out sams club. Picked mine up today from there. No preorder either

Just checked - the store close to me is sold out. I'm not going to bother checking the others -- but I'd bet they're out too.

Thanks for the suggestion.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
More than half of my iPad's storage is filled with my music. Since I can store my music with Google Music Player (up to 20,000 songs), I don't think I need a lot of space especially for my next phone.

I just ordered the 7. Hopefully, it'll live up to the hype.

I'd agree with a phone. I doubt I'll have more than a 16GB model going forward. Heck, I wouldn't really mind a "dumb" phone now that I carry my iPad everywhere.

But I've got a 64GB iPad mostly full with no music at all.

Everyone's usage will be different but man.. I can't imagine a tablet with 16GB.

info

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
Bay Area
...Everyone's usage will be different but man.. I can't imagine a tablet with 16GB.

I totally agree and am more than a bit surprised at this limitation. I also have a 64Gig iPad and already feel somewhat confined. It shouldn't take Google long to expand the memory out though... probably before year end I would imagine.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Google released another very small update. I was told it's nothing major though.

OK an update on some things I noticed and liked:

1) You can disable screen lock in the options setting.....sweetness :D

2) You'll have to enable auto-tilt in the settings

3) It has GPS as well as NFC enabled.

4) Click on the Chrome icon and up pops up a menu with other icons that are in a group. Think of it as a folder you created in iOS.

5) There's a frame inside a frame icon to the right of the Home icon. Touch that and it brings up your recent activity list which you can hot jump to the app.

6) A Nice assortment of widgets you can drag to the home screen.

7) And best of all. All of your previously purchased apps are available for download on the Nexus 7.

8) Someone asked me if you can view an entire webpage in Portrait. Yes you can !

9) I haven't timed it yet but this thing looks like it boots up in under 10 seconds. :cool:

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I am 24 hours in and I could already see this as my go to tablet for around town, where I normally bring my iPad. As I just said in another post, if the iPad mini came out, i would certainly get it and think it would add a nice addition to the family, especially if they made it a 3G version. Being very entwined in the google environment with gmail, picasa, and others....I think its a great complement to my iPad 3. Now to get work done, I think the 7 is too small and the iPad 3 is an amazing productivity device. On short work trips, all I bring is my ipad. with the integrations of google drive and dropbox I feel like I have no need for a laptop. Plus the thing I always hated most about android tablets was the custom rom's and the slow updates. Nexus 7 eliminates that.

For the price, I say go for it. If the iPad mini comes out and serves your needs then great. All your apps will transfer and you should be just as happy. For now, ill stick with the Nexus and see what the future of the iPad mini holds....

davidnyjets

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
New York
Been watching reviews and unboxings all over Youtube and am extremely close to picking of these up.

I just got a MBA which I love. I'd use this tablet primarily to browse web, Youtube app, eReader, etc. -- I don't want to take too much use away from a sweet laptop I just spent $1200+ on. I've never owned a tablet but the idea of lying on the couch or in bed just screwing around on this thing is enticing to me.

Lastly, anyone buy the 8gb model and is happy with their choice? I don't plan on putting any music on here, as my iPhone has that -- and all I plan on using it for primarily is browsing and eBooks.

Thoughts? Help a brother out! :)

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
But I've got a 64GB iPad mostly full with no music at all.

Everyone's usage will be different but man.. I can't imagine a tablet with 16GB.
But how much of that 64GB do you use on a daily basis?

I recently decided to try to look at what I carry around on my iPad 3 64GB and realized I became a mobile hoarder. 95% of it is stuff I rarely/never use like "Bargain" impulse buy apps, way too many videos, a decade of photos etc. So I decided to get rid of it and take over my daughters 16GB iPad2 (she got bored of it a while ago).

What I realized in moving to 16GB is that I'm actually much more efficient since I only have Apps/Videos that I actually want to use and I got money to save for my next toy. Personally, the only thing stopping me from getting a Nexus7 is the pricing of Surface RT. Heck, with the $700 I made from selling my iPad3 then I could probably buy both, but I'm holding back until we see if an iPad 7" actually comes out because thats always been my dream machine.

Last edited:

flyguy206

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2008
The funny thing is all my android friends are not as hype over it as the iOS friends that got it. Sometimes you need a change in os.

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
I was about this -> | | close to buying a Nexus 7. Then I realized I require mobile data, and I skipped.

It does have mobile data...it's called tethering from your Android device or your iPhone.

----------

Been watching reviews and unboxings all over Youtube and am extremely close to picking of these up.

I just got a MBA which I love. I'd use this tablet primarily to browse web, Youtube app, eReader, etc. -- I don't want to take too much use away from a sweet laptop I just spent $1200+ on. I've never owned a tablet but the idea of lying on the couch or in bed just screwing around on this thing is enticing to me.

Lastly, anyone buy the 8gb model and is happy with their choice? I don't plan on putting any music on here, as my iPhone has that -- and all I plan on using it for primarily is browsing and eBooks.

Thoughts? Help a brother out! :)

I have the 8gb and I have only filled up 1gb of space. I stream my video and music, don't keep my photo library on it( on my iMac) and only play games once in awhile. I'll never fill it up.
I'm amazed at people who get these devices and load all of their movies that they have seen numerous times and their 300 games that they never play and then say it doesn't have enough space!

----------

The funny thing is all my android friends are not as hype over it as the iOS friends that got it. Sometimes you need a change in os.

Bingo!

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
It does have mobile data...it's called tethering from your Android device or your iPhone.

----------

I have the 8gb and I have only filled up 1gb of space. I stream my video and music, don't keep my photo library on it( on my iMac) and only play games once in awhile. I'll never fill it up.
I'm amazed at people who get these devices and load all of their movies that they have seen numerous times and their 300 games that they never play and then say it doesn't have enough space!

----------

Bingo!

My Nexus doesn't really last with tethering on... And I don't care how much space it has, because the majority of my media is on Hulu/Netflix/Spotify. I would also love to use the Internet on the go.

mfr1340

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
n. cal
Nexus 7

My Nexus doesn't really last with tethering on... And I don't care how much space it has, because the majority of my media is on Hulu/Netflix/Spotify. I would also love to use the Internet on the go.

I got the Nexus 7 yesterday at office depot. It is great. I have the new IPad and I will get the IPad Mini when it comes out. I just wanted to try jelly bean. I gave my wife and daughter IPad2's so I just wanted something different to play with.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I am a happy iPad 3 owner, but I am also in constant want. I'm thinking of getting a shiny Nexus 7 for actual portable use--take it places without the fear. Please, be open-minded.

However, I'd like very much to be dissuaded. Aside from the obvious lack of access to all media purchased for my iOS devices, what else? I hope there would be some drag-and-drop ability between my iMac and this Android device for music and podcasts. Should I, loving Apple, expect shock and horror from the Jelly Bean user experience? Be fair.

I bought a 16gb one and love it, its a fantastic tablet, I love the size and been carrying it around all week, today I took my Ipad and I really am longing for the Nexus, It's just the perfect size and I'm doing everything on it, the Ipad does have a gorgeous screen thou thats hard to beat. I can't wait till Ipad has the smalller size out , the nexus has made me realize I want to get that. If you really want to stay with the Apple Ecosystem then just wait a few months and get the smaller Ipad.

----------

I just picked up a Nexus 7 from Office Depot. I haven't opened it yet because i'm not sure if it comes with the $25 coupon for the Google Play Store. The employee who was helping bordered on "NO CLUE" throughout the transaction.

I was told they will start selling them in 2 months. That's when I said i'll go to Staples and he said let me check with my manager, lol. Yup 'how about that we are officially selling them today'. :D

The "Coupon" is a credit you'll get when you log the nexus in for the first time to the Play store

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.