Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aceroller

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2015
I’m coming from an iPad 8th gen and am really interested in the iPad Mini 6. I know the screen is smaller, but is this a big deal for watching videos? I will be primarily using it for web browsing and watching videos. Anyone else have a Mini 6 that came from a 10.2 inch screen size? Thoughts?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I encourage you to visit the specs page, use the measurements to print an exact-size of Mini 6, cut it out so you have a piece of paper the size of the Mini and then be your own judge. Here's very detailed measurements including the screen size: https://www.dimensions.com/element/apple-ipad-mini-6th-gen.

I love my Mini 6 but you are accustomed to a much larger screen and what you like to do with that screen is going to be considerably smaller on a Mini screen. I came to Mini 6 from Mini 2, so my iPad "upgrade" experience actually has a slightly bigger screen now. Print a mini and see for yourself.

If that doesn't do it, head for an Apple store (or Best Buy, Target, Walmart, etc) and try some videos and favorite websites on the Mini screen.

Otherwise, you only get a bunch of subjective opinions at best. For some, Mini 6 is perfect "goldilocks" size. For others it is too big or too small. None of these people will see it- and be able to pass judgement- as you do.

Last edited:

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I agree with the previous poster about opinions because they are subjective. I would suggest going to a retailer like Best Buy and do a side by comparison. I have thought about getting a Mini but decided against it because I prefer ample screen real estate. So I purchased a 9th gen instead.

Reactions: rui no onna

pvq

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2012
I am a person that has never been able to love the iPad....I’m a laptop guy. I had an iPad Pro 12.9 inch that I bought as a laptop replacement and hardly ever used. I needed an upgraded laptop for work and bough an entry level MacBook Pro which I LOVE....and traded my 12.9 inch iPad for the new Mini. Honestly its the first iPad I like. Easy to use one handed and convenient to take with you, but larger than the phone for FaceTime and Videos. I’d always rather have a laptop, and normally do, but for the few things I’d rather do on an iPad the mini is my favorite.

Aceroller

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2015
Thanks for all the feedback. I found the iPad Air 4 for the same price and since my primary use is media consumption I went with the bigger screen. Love the Air so far!!

Reactions: curdy

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
I’m coming from an iPad 8th gen and am really interested in the iPad Mini 6. I know the screen is smaller, but is this a big deal for watching videos? I will be primarily using it for web browsing and watching videos. Anyone else have a Mini 6 that came from a 10.2 inch screen size? Thoughts?
No. Millions of People watch movie with iPhone 4S that has 3.5" screen which is also 7 Times smaller than actual area of iPad Mini. But they never complain watching on such tiny screen of iPhone 4S, as well as browsing on it.

If people can watch Netflix on their iPhone 13 Pro Max for several hours laying on the coffee table with stand case, then things would be a lot easier to watch on iPad Mini 6 since its two times bigger than the iPhone 13 Pro Max

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.