Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
After doing some more research, I think I'm leaning more towards a Thinkpad x1 Nano. The other two I considered were Vaio SX12 and Dell XPS (too heavy and looks like folks complain about heat/fan noise). A few questions for those in the know:
- How do Thinkpads do with respect to bloatware?
- Do I need to get any of the software add ons, especially for security? Or is Windows 11 Pro (I am planning to go with the Pro version) security good enough?
- How is Lenovo customer service?

I would probably be buying the Gen 1 since Gen 2 is still not yet available.

I am planning to go with 16GB/512GB. Is there any must have processor upgrade or can I go with the base one? (My computing needs are very modest, mostly MS Office and browsing/YouTube.)

What is Cloud Security (BufferZone) all about?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Pretty good, I have a ThinkPad Extreme and it only came with their software called Vantage. Its a one stop place where you manage you machine, look at your customer info, i.e., warranty (not sure if you contact support through that), and update drivers, including the bios. Its unnecessary so you can uninstall it if you feel so moved.

- Do I need to get any of the software add ons, especially for security? Or is Windows 11 Pro (I am planning to go with the Pro version) security good enough?
Microsoft defender is up to the task for normal usage, if you practice safe computing, but I think all in all its just adequate and you can do better.

Is there any must have processor upgrade or can I go with the base one?
The i7-1160g7 has more internal cache and slightly faster clock rates. You'll see a small boost in performance with the i5-1160G7 over the base i7-1130g7

It took a bit of googling, as I had not heard of them, but it appears to be a partnership between Lenovo and BufferZone to provide an endpoint security solution. I believe its intended for the enterprise customer and not really something that would be all that helpful for the consumer, but I am speaking in ignorance, so I could be wrong.

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
Agree with @maflynn on both the lack of bloatware and the use of Defender for normal, safety-first computing on Thinkpads. My wife has a sixth gen X1 Carbon, and it came with little to no bloatware installed.

Reactions: ghanwani

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
After doing some more research, I think I'm leaning more towards a Thinkpad x1 Nano. The other two I considered were Vaio SX12 and Dell XPS (too heavy and looks like folks complain about heat/fan noise). A few questions for those in the know:

I am planning to go with 16GB/512GB. Is there any must have processor upgrade or can I go with the base one? (My computing needs are very modest, mostly MS Office and browsing/YouTube.)

If you do get the X1 Nano, be sure to post your impressions of the device if you have the time. My wife (A Lenovo diehard) is considering an upgrade, and I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
OK, after going through the configuration process it looks like the X1 Nano is about $1800 and the Vaio SX12 is $1000 (both i5/16GB/512GB). Is the X1 Nano worth that much of a premium over the Vaio?

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
Thinkpads and bloatware ...

... usually ok. Lenovo Vantage is what they usually stick on them which is not particularly annoying and quite helpful with driver updates and checking warranty status as well. Windows is however horrific on its own; it's a deceased bloated whale floating upside down on the surface waiting to explode.

Security software ...

... just use Windows Defender. Built in on windows 10/11. It's good enough. The other stuff just gets in the way or nags you or drains your wallet or tries to sell you a VPN you don't need.

How is Lenovo customer service ...

... somewhere between really good and dire depending on the phase of the moon. On one hand I had a 3Y NBD on site service contract on my spare ThinkPad T480, because it came with it as it was an open box sale on ebay. The screen packed in after 6 months and they came out the next day and swapped it. Impressive. However when I ordered a battery for my old T470 it turned up and was dead after being on the shelf for 3 years. I set up an RMA for it and was never refunded and couldn't find anyone who could help me. So I had to chargeback them. YMMV

If that's your choice, go with the Lenovo. I've never seen anything with a Vaio logo that wasn't a ?. In fact I took a chair leg to the last Vaio all-in-one PC I had to deal with which chewed up parts and sent it back to hell, clearly where it was originally manufactured.

Reactions: sracer

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
I've never seen anything with a Vaio logo that wasn't a ?. In fact I took a chair leg to the last Vaio all-in-one PC I had to deal with which chewed up parts and sent it back to hell, clearly where it was originally manufactured.
Does this include recent machines since they split from Sony? They have a couple of good reviews on YouTube.

What are you using now?

Last edited:

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015

I really love the Thinkpad X1 Carbon, light, fast, well equipped. That said, I just ordered an Thinkpad X13 for work. Almost as light, but it has an ryzen 7 processor available. The Alder Lake version hasn't come out for any Lenovo's laptops I shopped for yet, and it couldn't wait. Thinkpad's are don't have near as much bloatware as some of the others I've tried (Dell's a bad one), and it configurable to not any of the anti malware stuff.

Reactions: ghanwani

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
Does this include recent machines since they split from Sony? They have a couple of good reviews on YouTube.

What are you using now?
We had a couple of their laptops in our US office since they split, I think 3 years ago now. They are a venture capital backed B-rate Chinese generic crap pusher with some branding thrown on top. Sony still has some involvement I understand as well. The laptops we bought didn't last 9 months and there is zero support network for them. Straight back to the ThinkPads. We're pushing 14" macbook pros out to our tech staff now to replace the thinkpads.

roxygal9

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2010
FL
I really love the Thinkpad X1 Carbon, light, fast, well equipped. That said, I just ordered an Thinkpad X13 for work. Almost as light, but it has an ryzen 7 processor available. The Alder Lake version hasn't come out for any Lenovo's laptops I shopped for yet, and it couldn't wait. Thinkpad's are don't have near as much bloatware as some of the others I've tried (Dell's a bad one), and it configurable to not any of the anti malware stuff.
I still have my 6th Gen Thinkpad x1 Carbon running as a desktop. Almost 4 years old and still running fast - 16GB Ram/I5 Pro/512GB SSD/2K screen. I stopped using it as a laptop awhile back because of the 16:9 display ratio and the small trackpad. After debating it for months on whether to upgrade my 13 inch M1 MacBook Pro I decided to go back to Windows and ordered a 6th Gen x1 yoga. I know the x1 yoga Gen 7 is coming out, but I don't particularly like the loss of the spill resistant keyboard. Plus I wanted to keep the purchase under 2k and the new yogas will be expensive.

I almost got the yoga the last time around but wasn't on board with a 2 in 1. Then I had a surface pro 6 and loved its functionality. Now Im ready to try its experience. I wanted to get an iPad but iOS just doest cut it for my workflow. I wish it did. I debated getting the x1 nano given its lightness (and I loved my 12 inch MacBook) but really wanted the full 2-1 experience this time. I have been resistant to it, but can see it being very useful for pdf markup etc. If all goes well and I enjoy the yoga experience then I will probably sell my m1 Mac and maybe get an iPad. I just haven't found macOS to be very pleasant these days and in fact need to reinstall Monterey to see if I can get the webcam working again on this 2020 m1 MacBook not even a year old. Grrr

Anyways, I can post my experience with the x1 yoga gen 6 once I receive it in a few weeks.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
I still have my 6th Gen Thinkpad x1 Carbon running as a desktop. Almost 4 years old and still running fast - 16GB Ram/I5 Pro/512GB SSD/2K screen. I stopped using it as a laptop awhile back because of the 16:9 display ratio and the small trackpad. After debating it for months on whether to upgrade my 13 inch M1 MacBook Pro I decided to go back to Windows and ordered a 6th Gen x1 yoga. I know the x1 yoga Gen 7 is coming out, but I don't particularly like the loss of the spill resistant keyboard. Plus I wanted to keep the purchase under 2k and the new yogas will be expensive.

I almost got the yoga the last time around but wasn't on board with a 2 in 1. Then I had a surface pro 6 and loved its functionality. Now Im ready to try its experience. I wanted to get an iPad but iOS just doest cut it for my workflow. I wish it did. I debated getting the x1 nano given its lightness (and I loved my 12 inch MacBook) but really wanted the full 2-1 experience this time. I have been resistant to it, but can see it being very useful for pdf markup etc. If all goes well and I enjoy the yoga experience then I will probably sell my m1 Mac and maybe get an iPad. I just haven't found macOS to be very pleasant these days and in fact need to reinstall Monterey to see if I can get the webcam working again on this 2020 m1 MacBook not even a year old. Grrr

Anyways, I can post my experience with the x1 yoga gen 6 once I receive it in a few weeks.
My current machine is a 6th gen X1 Carbon, but it's time to upgrade. This is the first X series machines we've bought, I hope it's as good! I wanted to wait for the Alder Lake X1 Carbons, but there's no telling how long that will be.

I'm sure you'll like the X1 Yoga, it's a little heavier and a little more versatile, and it's definitely an X1. And please to post about it. I'll also post about the X13! A few weeks there too. :(

roxygal9

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2010
FL
My current machine is a 6th gen X1 Carbon, but it's time to upgrade. This is the first X series machines we've bought, I hope it's as good! I wanted to wait for the Alder Lake X1 Carbons, but there's no telling how long that will be.

I'm sure you'll like the X1 Yoga, it's a little heavier and a little more versatile, and it's definitely an X1. And please to post about it. I'll also post about the X13! A few weeks there too. :(
X1 Carbon is a great machine for sure! Im ok with a little heavier to get the touchscreen feature. I like writing handwritten notes. I also opted for the privacy glass setting which is a matte screen. I will post a review about it here once I receive it. Look forward to hearing about the x13 as well!

Reactions: bobcomer

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Thinkpads, even today's versions, are incredibly great devices and offer a great bang-for-buck. Definitely is always a safe choice when choosing PC.

Reactions: bobcomer

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Right now it's showing shipping times for 2-3 months, so I decided to go with a Vaio SX12. Hoping that works out for me. I'm a bit exhausted evaluating different options.

giffut

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2003
Germany
The best thing to do to avoid loud fan noises is to disable Intel's turbo boost mode in the BIOS settings.

Yes, you loose some performance, around 20% overall. This is mostly for single core workloads which require high CPU frequencies.

Mind you, you won't see the full loads of turbo boost anyway, as any mobile Intel CPU will throttle heavy while boosting for more than a couple of seconds.

But you gain huge battery endurance and more or less absolute silent operation. I gained about 40% more time on battery with my Dell Latitude.

For any laptop, especially 2in1 devices, I recommend this without thinking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.