Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
http://9to5mac.com/2015/03/10/apple-watch-third-party-bands/#more-369048

Edit: In no way, shape, of form am I saying that these bands look good in the video. They would need a lot of improvement and hands on feel in order for me to consider buying one.

"The big draw for third-party bands will be the ability for customers to purchase the entry-level $349 Sport model and upgrade to a stainless steel or leather band for much less than Apple’s official bands."

I like that! Especially since I've decided on the Sport Watch :D

imnick

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2015
I'm hoping for someone to put out a brown leather band for the space gray sports watch to look something like this.

ab3fbf4dc8b24af205784d9275a24c13.jpg

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
As long as third party bands aren't somehow restricted by Apple (and I can't think of how or why they would be), we will see a TON of third party options.

I wouldn't be surprised to see bands equal to or better than Apple's in quality and appearance for a fraction of the cost.

Think iPhone case variety and you will have some idea of the multitude of options we have to look forward to.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
As long as third party bands aren't somehow restricted by Apple (and I can't think of how or why they would be), we will see a TON of third party options.

I wouldn't be surprised to see bands equal to or better than Apple's in quality and appearance for a fraction of the cost.

Think iPhone case variety and you will have some idea of the multitude of options we have to look forward to.

I agree that there will be TONS of options, but not sure that I agree that they'll be equal or better for a fraction of the cost. I've purchased lots of watch bands in my life, and it's primarily a get what you pay for situation. There's a big difference between a $25 leather band and a $150 leather band. By all accounts, the Apple bands are very high quality.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
I agree that there will be TONS of options, but not sure that I agree that they'll be equal or better for a fraction of the cost. I've purchased lots of watch bands in my life, and it's primarily a get what you pay for situation. There's a big difference between a $25 leather band and a $150 leather band. By all accounts, the Apple bands are very high quality.

You may be right, I may be crazy.

Look at the Apple silicone case for the 6 and 6 plus. Sells for $39, I got it for free with my phone (would not have bought it at the price). I vastly prefer my $4 TPU case I bought online.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
You may be right, I may be crazy.

Look at the Apple silicone case for the 6 and 6 plus. Sells for $39, I got it for free with my phone (would not have bought it at the price). I vastly prefer my $4 TPU case I bought online.

I'm not sure we can use that as an example. Leather and steel fashion goods are a different matter. Hirsch straps are a nice middle line between quality and price, but I doubt they'll be making one that is Apple compatible with the connectors.

You'll notice the same thing if you look at leather half cases for cameras on eBay. $30 gets you crap, $80 gets you ok, and $200-$300 gets you really nice.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
I'm not sure we can use that as an example. Leather and steel fashion goods are a different matter. Hirsch straps are a nice middle line between quality and price, but I doubt they'll be making one that is Apple compatible with the connectors.

You'll notice the same thing if you look at leather half cases for cameras on eBay. $30 gets you crap, $80 gets you ok, and $200-$300 gets you really nice.

Fair enough but I am very confident that 3rd party options will emerge at much lower cost and more than acceptable quality.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I'm okay with paying ~$150> for a steel link band.

I am not okay with paying almost as much as the watch itself for the steel link band.

My value is in the technology, the ecosystem; strapping it to my arm shouldn't cost more than all that R&D.

Can't wait until the 3rd party options flood the market.

jmrdmd

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
I'm sure that there are already companies in China poised to bang out a slew of bands!!

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
Maybe they have a patent on the strap attachment mechanism.

That didn't stop a **** ton of companies from producing both lighting and 30-pin connectors outside of the MFi program.

We might be in luck :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.