Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vp719

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
This may have already been addressed, and if so I apologize for a duplicate post, but has there been any indication if third party bands will be produced/allowed?

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
This may have already been addressed, and if so I apologize for a duplicate post, but has there been any indication if third party bands will be produced/allowed?

Is that kind of removable band even patentable?

vp719

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
I wasn't sure if apple could patent the "click-in" mechanism, restricting third party access - similar to how they limited Lightening access to third parties for awhile after introduction.

pologreen94

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
So it looks like the sport band goes up to 210mm, my wrist is 220.... So I hope there are 3rd party bands available...

matt9013

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2013
3rd party straps will be everywhere just like iPhone cases, iPad cases etc

vp719

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
I'm really surprised we haven't seen any start to even be advertised as "coming soon" yet. iPhone and iPad accessory makers always seem to be sending out upcoming accessory emails even before new products are announced. Hopefully someone starts moving on this soon...it will dictate which :apple:Watch version I order.

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
I'm really surprised we haven't seen any start to even be advertised as "coming soon" yet. iPhone and iPad accessory makers always seem to be sending out upcoming accessory emails even before new products are announced. Hopefully someone starts moving on this soon...it will dictate which :apple:Watch version I order.

There have been at least 2 announcements of 3rd party straps. One was mentioned here:
http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/introducing-standap-the-standard-strap-adaptor-for-apple-watch
But if you follow the link to the Standap project at Indiegogo, it's now funding "fried chicken". The original project either went away, or went into hiding.

But if you dig deeper, there's a Facebook page and the product seems to have been resurrected today under the name "Adappt":
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Adappt-Standard-bands-on-Apple-Watch/791287950964931

There may be a real patent risk with products like this.

Norcal.

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2012
Im interested in this as well. Hopefully there will be less expensive alternatives than the overpriced bands apple is selling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.