Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Norcal.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
Haven't heard much about them, anyone else looking forward to them?

Not going to pay $500 for a SS band and i'm sure there will be good quality bands for a fraction of the price by third parties.

CaneCollegeboy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2003
I see the bands the same way i see an iphone/ipad case. The Apple Watch wont magically stop working if you get a third party band.

aimbdd

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
East Cost
I'm looking forward to 3rd party bands. I like to change it up. I'm not looking forward to paying Apple prices for them. I'm hoping they go well with the sport model.

On a related note, it looks like Incipio is working on a battery band. http://www.incipio.com/apple-watch-battery-band
I feel like this will be so incredibly ugly... If they some how make it look nice I would be all for it thought.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
I contributed to the Click kickstarter and have my eyes set on a Bas and Lokes band :)

Esexx

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
I also predict if the Apple Watch takeoff, Louise Vuitton and others with get in to the game for a premium price of course.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Are there enough pictures out there about the locking mechanism of the bands for third parties to have this totally figured out? I think they probably need to see the mechanism and have a few copies before they can perfectly reverse engineer it. Don't discount that Apple's hardware is going to be better though. Apple is going to have economies of scale that no third party can match. So the the third parties will cut corners in order to keep their price at about 30% of the comparable Apple Band. But yes you should be able to get a solid metal band for well under $400.

zacheryjensen

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
I would stand far back until others can show that the manufacturing by third parties is good enough to avoid things like breaking the latch mechanism, or just getting plain stuck in there. In the photography world there are many companies willing to put out products in place of high quality first party choices. Sometimes they are great, sometimes they will get stuck to your camera :)

But, other than that concern, I am fairly confident we'll see some worthwhile third party band options. The primary thing to watch for is just a set of standard pin lugs, I would think.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I am looking forward to any third party band that does match the quality of the Apple ones but is cheaper. Quality is priority for me. Not going to spend £500 on a watch that drops loose from my wrist becasue I use £10 rubbish band to hold it around my wrist.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I contributed to the Click kickstarter and have my eyes set on a Bas and Lokes band :)

I don't mean to come across as disrespectful or mean but this didn't instill a whole lot of confidence in me lol.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 2.32.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 2.32.30 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 255

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
There will be third party bands eventually but for quality ones that won't damage the AW, we will most likely need to wait a couple of months.

AbeFrohman

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
I don't mean to come across as disrespectful or mean but this didn't instill a whole lot of confidence in me lol.

LOL. Which stripped you if your dreams? The crude sketch in front of the computer? The t-shirt? The scraps of paper strewn across his mom's kitchen table?

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009

Ahaha!

Sometimes you gotta go with your best option and contribute to the greater good! :p

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
All of it. I can't imagine trusting an expensive watch to these kids.

Yup, because "kids" can't be innovators or creators, right? :rolleyes:

I backed the click project and upped my pledge for the aluminum model with no hesitation; its a watch adapter, not a spaceship, and even then, its silly to immediately write off someone's ability to create or design based on age or other outward appearance.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Yup, because "kids" can't be innovators or creators, right? :rolleyes:

I backed the click project and upped my pledge for the aluminum model with no hesitation; its a watch adapter, not a spaceship, and even then, its silly to immediately write off someone's ability to create or design based on age or other outward appearance.

This has nothing to do with their ages. I realize there are many smart young people who can do wonders with their creativity and vision. My remark was more about the scene I posted a screenshot of. I get what they were trying to go for but it felt very staged to me. Plus the young man looked like he was confused or trying to put together an ikea product. If you're going to include something like that in a video of this nature, it needs to be a little more polished.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.