Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miknos

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
I've been using the latest version of Gboard (Google keyboard) and it's great.

I use it without full access for obvious reasons and it works just fine. Same with Swype btw.

Something that Gboard stands out is the dictation option. Everything is transmitted to google servers when you're dictating.

My question is:
Gboard needs microphone access for dictation to work. How do we know Google is not listening when not using Dictation?

I ask that because Facebook app was caught listening in the background. It was a privacy problem and drained your battery.

I'm going to disable dictation for now but I would love to hear from somebody knowledgeable on the subject (of iOS 10 third-party keyboard limitations).

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
One indirect method is by checking Background Activity and which apps show up in the Battery Usage. It would be nice to know but most likely you need to look-up that in Google GBoard's code itself.

cswifx

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
If the microphone is active in the background (e.g. App is recording but the app is in the background), a red banner will show on top of your status bar indicating microphone use. This is the same for location and casting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.