Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hunglish1

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2019
That message appears in the Health app. However, how is that possible when the Watch is still collecting health data? I want that message to go away given the Watch is actually paired. How do I get this sorted out? I’ve already paired/unpaired the Watch, factory reset the iPhone and Watch, deleted backups from both devices... What’s going on? Help would be greatly appreciated!
Same here!
[automerge]1573194625[/automerge]
I have sent them emails just now telling them that nothing has changed. In the meanwhile looks like more people are beginning to complain about the Watch issue: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250651412
I won’t let them rest until it’s been resolved.

guess what they deleted the link!

hunglish1

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2019
That message appears in the Health app. However, how is that possible when the Watch is still collecting health data? I want that message to go away given the Watch is actually paired. How do I get this sorted out? I’ve already paired/unpaired the Watch, factory reset the iPhone and Watch, deleted backups from both devices... What’s going on? Help would be greatly appreciated!

Over the last two months, I had my phone and my series 4 watch replaced. One would think that with that the issue has been solved. Wrong! at the Apple Genius Bar (Apple Ingenious Bar, rather) they tried to explain to me this way. Explanations are in chronological order:

1. “there is no issue with your watch”. (Proved them wrong. Showed them the inconsistent data between health app and the duplicate device list)
  2. “There COULD be an issue with the watch”. (They sent it off and email came back: We will be replacing your device.)
  3. Since the issue was still there, they said “there could be an issue with your phone” so off they sent my phone. A week later message comes “We will be replacing your device” (At this point i was laughing my head off. Fine with me, new watch, new phone...they are absolute idiots.)
  4. When I paired the new watch with the new phone, I used a different Apple ID, wiped clean, no health data...still two devices in Data Sources. What it also does, connection between the watch and the phone is slow and Siri often takes a minute to respond. At this point I could not be bothered. However, I did notice a difference: under watch OS 5 there was only ONE device listed. The moment I updated the watch OS, immediately 2 watches came up. And the very same thing happened with both Series 4 Apple Watches. So IT IS SOFTWARE RELATED ISSUE. My boss just got his new Apple Watch and new iPhone. He never had an Apple Watch ever. Paired the watch and he also has duplicate devices in the Health app data source/device source. 1 devices actively paired with the phone but does not receive any data. 2nd device, “no longer paired” with iPhone receives all data!
Lesson: Apple both employers and employees do not have the backbone to say: Yes, the operating system has a major bug. We don’t know how to fix it at this stage. We are sorry.” No, instead, they pretend there is no problem, no responsibility, no integrity. Only lies, lies, lies. At least when Steve Jobs was at the steering wheel, he had the guts to admit. Mr Cook is always cooking up something that people eat up and then get sick. But we are fed up. No more Cookies, please!

Reactions: theob05 and rmoliv

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
It’s software related yes, it’s either due to iOS 13, watchOS 6 or both. They told me everything’s ok with my devices, it’s only a “cosmetic” issue (implying they won’t address this anytime soon). If more people would complain... Problem is, most people don’t notice it or are just too lazy to care.

Last edited:
Reactions: ferretex

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It’s software related yes, it’s either due to iOS 13, watchOS 6 or both. They told me everything’s ok with my devices, it’s only a “cosmetic” issue (implying they won’t address this anytime soon). If more people would complain... Problem is, most people don’t notice it or are just too lazy to care.

Bolded: Kind of a poor generalization. It doesn’t have anything to do with laziness. Mainly, some users don’t know how to address a concern or know how to differentiate what the problem is to begin with. Some may not care, lazy doesn’t apply to this specific situation, it’s not always that simple to address something if the user doesn’t have a full understanding of the what the initial problem is.

Reactions: TiggrToo

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
I've had this issue with the "This Apple Watch is no longer paired with this iPhone" message in Health app since pretty much day one I bought my S4 last year and it remains with iOS13. Everything works well (notifications, messages, mail, Handoff, etc) but the Health app has that message.

At this point I feel it's mostly an annoyance, but I would like to get it fixed if it's only to quench my OCD.

As was said earlier in this thread, whenever you change phones or unpair/re-pair, a new watch will appear in settings/Health devices and the old watch will say "no longer paired". This is how it works and you need to leave the old ones there to preserve your health history.

All your health data, including from old devices, is stored in your iCloud, even after you have removed those old devices from iCloud, so that your complete health history is preserved.

I have 12 watches showing. All except my current one says "no longer paired".

chunter1001

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2012
Is this still an issue? I deleted all watch’s from my Health>Privacy>Devices. Only one returned and is tracking activity; however, I get the unpaired message.
Tried re-pairing, but it didn’t change anything.
if this is just a cosmetic issue, I won’t sweat it.
musing iPhone 11 Pro Max and Series 5

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
Is this still an issue? I deleted all watch’s from my Health>Privacy>Devices. Only one returned and is tracking activity; however, I get the unpaired message.
Tried re-pairing, but it didn’t change anything.
if this is just a cosmetic issue, I won’t sweat it.
musing iPhone 11 Pro Max and Series 5

It's still an issue. You can pair, unpair, re-pair, factory reset both iPhone and Watch, delete all backups, set up as new... Nothing will fix it. I stopped caring too much since this doesn't affect performance and data collection but they better get this fixed in iOS 14/watchOS 7. I couldn't care less it's just a matter of cosmetics to them, it's flawed nevertheless, and it shouldn't be.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Lost all of my activity data trying to fix this issue. One of the reasons I went Apple over Garmin was software stability.. that’s not working out for me right now. Not happy.

426kahemi

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2019
Same there! I tried delete my old “unpaired” devices from Health, and all of my Activity goals, exercises and badges are gone... I tried restore iPhone and Watch from previous iCloud backup, but all Health/Activity data are gone.... Sh*t

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Same there! I tried delete my old “unpaired” devices from Health, and all of my Activity goals, exercises and badges are gone... I tried restore iPhone and Watch from previous iCloud backup, but all Health/Activity data are gone.... Sh*t

See post #55 warning about this. When you deleted your old unpaired devices you deleted all their data. The deletion syncs to iCloud so restoring from latest iCloud won’t get it back.

When you say you restored from a “previous“ iCloud back up, was that from before you deleted the unpaired devices? If was from before I would have expected to get it back.

426kahemi

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2019
See post #55 warning about this. When you deleted your old unpaired devices you deleted all their data. The deletion syncs to iCloud so restoring from latest iCloud won’t get it back.

When you say you restored from a “previous“ iCloud back up, was that from before you deleted the unpaired devices? If was from before I would have expected to get it back.
Yes, this backup was few days ago before I deleted devices...
Problem is that Health data are not in iCloud backups, they are sync in “real time” (like iMessage, photos, notes...) on iCloud... So there is no possible restore from backup, because they aren’t on iCloud anymore...
I didn’t know this before... My bad

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal

The problem is few know about sites like this and many who are aware of them know the data isn’t stored on the watch, but rather in the cloud. I have done countless restore and setup as new and retained activity data. That data not being ON but associated with watches is jacked. Apple is better than this. Again, my Garmin 305 (and my new Fenix 6X that has replaced my AW5) can store activities ON the watch AND be backed up in the cloud. Just crazy. I’m done with the iPhone dumb puppet that is the Apple Watch for activities.

brocky

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2020
Hi? ''this apple watch is no longer paired with this iphone'' Didn't they still fix the problem? Right? No uptade ? Can anyone write the solution, if any?
It's still an issue. You can pair, unpair, re-pair, factory reset both iPhone and Watch, delete all backups, set up as new... Nothing will fix it. I stopped caring too much since this doesn't affect performance and data collection but they better get this fixed in iOS 14/watchOS 7. I couldn't care less it's just a matter of cosmetics to them, it's flawed nevertheless, and it shouldn't be.

Last edited by a moderator:

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
Checking in on 5/16/2020 and I'm still getting that same message "This Apple Watch is no longer paired with this iPhone" in the health app even though the watch is passing along all the data to the phone.
Very weird that this issue can't be resolved.

ferretex

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Spain
Checking in on 5/16/2020 and I'm still getting that same message "This Apple Watch is no longer paired with this iPhone" in the health app even though the watch is passing along all the data to the phone.
Very weird that this issue can't be resolved.

It’s been there forever!! I just no longer pay attention to it...

verdi1987

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
I have had this issue for years across different Watches and iPhones. I always setup both as new devices. I forgot about it until I saw this thread just now. Sure enough, my Health app shows the message.

CruisingCowgirl

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2020
And here we are in September 2020 and I find myself here because this problem STILL has not been addressed by Apple! And no...it’s not just cosmetic...my high and low heart rate notifications are affected because of this problem which was the reason for spending so much money on these devices for me at least! WTH Apple... this long to sort this out is a joke! Updating to IOS 14 as I type.. let’s see if they have addressed this issue YET?

CruisingCowgirl

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2020
I contacted Apple Support and they’ll get back to me as soon as they have figured this out. But it can take days. In the meanwhile I’d like to get this resolved on my own. Could it be a bug? iOS 13 surely feels a bit unstable. Not liking the experience so far.
So here we are one year later with the same issue.... how did you go? Did Apple get back to you?

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
So here we are one year later with the same issue.... how did you go? Did Apple get back to you?

No they didn’t. In our last interaction I was told that it didn’t affect use nor performance of the iPhone and Watch so there was nothing they could do about it other than waiting for Apple’s “engineers” to fix it.

JSBRG

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2020
Denmark
Has exactly the same "problem". The worst part was that I did not know it was a known phenomenon, so I restored the watch several times and nothing helped until I found out that it was actually paired and recorded everything.

CruisingCowgirl

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2020
No they didn’t. In our last interaction I was told that it didn’t affect use nor performance of the iPhone and Watch so there was nothing they could do about it other than waiting for Apple’s “engineers” to fix it.
Thanks for your reply..Well they are telling a few “porkies” there as on mine.. my high and low heart rate notifications are affected (not working) as they are still paired up to an old Apple Watch even though I have removed these old devices (with data loss).. I know these devices aren’t supposed to replace a doctor.. but having heart disease.. I splashed the cash in hopes I would at least get a heads up if something was happening... I notice now they are advertising one for oxygen levels.. they haven’t even bothered to apply to the medical board in Australia here to make the ECG app available to all Australians for over 3 years! So no Australian will be on board with their ads for any other medical aids.. Frustrating.. Get your act together Apple.. Samsung is starting to look very appealing ??‍♀️

griss0r

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2014
It is working again. 2 devices

Lost all my previous activity rings though.. but I am happy to see the correct listing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.