Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Does anybody else thing one of the main draws for Apple making the watch is to sell it's bands by a ton? I can't imagine them upgrading the Apple Watch as often as the iPhone. But I have a feeling they will push the bands as much as possible. It'll be easier to buy a $350 watch and then pay $800 in bands over 3ish years (my guess).

Now, this leads me to thinking there will be NO 3rd party Watch bands. Or at least I'm wondering if the part that connects to the band has a ''special chip'' that tells the iPhone ''I'm made by Apple''. Sort of similar how iPhones won't take cheap 3rd party lightning cables.

Anybody else feel the same?

papa8706

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Does anybody else thing one of the main draws for Apple making the watch is to sell it's bands by a ton? I can't imagine them upgrading the Apple Watch as often as the iPhone. But I have a feeling they will push the bands as much as possible. It'll be easier to buy a $350 watch and then pay $800 in bands over 3ish years (my guess).

Now, this leads me to thinking there will be NO 3rd party Watch bands. Or at least I'm wondering if the part that connects to the band has a ''special chip'' that tells the iPhone ''I'm made by Apple''. Sort of similar how iPhones won't take cheap 3rd party lightning cables.

I was thinking this too. That's why I was surprised to see how limited they made the band selection for the sport model. Interested in seeing if Apple is going to try and use their patents to block 3rd party companies from undercutting them and stealing a large share of the apple watch bands market.

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012

Quite possible. And Apple doesn't need a chip, a patent would be sufficient.

The parts of the world where patents aren't enforced are mostly the same places where any kind of security chip would be forged without permission. Why bother with the extra engineering and material expenses of a chip and the other stuff to support it?

JFazYankees

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2012

Personally, I doubt it, but it's possible. I think of it more along the lines of of iPhone cases, which aren't regulated by Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.