Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
I get this error when trying to install on an upgraded HD in my mac mini. It is a Samsung HD I installed to upgrade my mac mini.

I downloaded High Sierra and it won't allow me to update to it because of this issue. Anyway around this?

Thanks for any help

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
If your drive is not formatted as GUID you can't install High Sierra on it.

Firmware updates will not install on an Intel-based Mac if the computer is using a non-standard partition scheme, such as an fdisk scheme. You may see an "unexpected error occurred (0); unable to upgrade firmware" error message, or your computer may start normally (after a single beep if the power button is held) when attempting to install the firmware update.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201723

BLUEDOG314

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2015
Did you just install the HDD? If the disk is uninitialized or has some other partition scheme as mentioned above it will not work. However if you are upgrading from say Sierra it already has to be using GUID.

Assuming you are installing on a brand new disk and you have no data to use, simply use Disk Utility in the installer to partition the disk for GUID and HFS+.

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
Did you just install the HDD? If the disk is uninitialized or has some other partition scheme as mentioned above it will not work. However if you are upgrading from say Sierra it already has to be using GUID.

Assuming you are installing on a brand new disk and you have no data to use, simply use Disk Utility in the installer to partition the disk for GUID and HFS+.

Yeah sorry more detail. So I cloned the previous Hard Drive which was the one that came with the new Mac mini, 1TB 5400rpm drive. I cloned that drive, swapped it out for the new SSD. Now it tells me I don't have proper GUID which I don't understand as that is what it should have been from the original hard drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.