Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkerthanamber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2023
I am on an iMac in iTunes. When I connect my ipod classic, I get a message: this ipod is open in another window. It does not allow me to sync.

Grumpus

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2021
In iTunes, what happens if you click the Store tab, waiting until the store page is displayed, then clicking back to the Library tab? Does it then allow you to sync?

darkerthanamber

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2023
Well as it turned out, I somehow (and don't ask me how) managed to get both windows displayed. The second window was actually in Finder. I closed out of iTunes in that window, then closed the window. That solved the problem.

Grumpus

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2021
Post #3 above leads me to guess that the OP is using iTunes (probably installed via Retroactive) on a Mac which doesn't officially support iTunes. The supported method of syncing iPods and iPhones on macOS Catalina and newer is via Finder, and the mechanism behind Finder's support of devices can lead to conflicts with iTunes. When this happens, one thing to try is to open a terminal window and kill AMPDevicesAgent:
Code:
pkill AMPDevicesAgent
If you're going to use iTunes exclusively, a more permanent solution is to kill AMPDeviceDiscoveryAgent at login time, as described here.

My guess as to the the OP's situation could be wrong. On Macs which actually shipped with iTunes, there have been reports of the "open in another window" message and the suggested workaround is to click the Store tab in iTunes, and then click back to the Library tab. I've never experienced the problem on a supported OS, so I can't say if that works or not, but it's easy enough to try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.