Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blondie&Dagwood

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2017
On The contrary, I don't believe that's what the OP is saying at all. I think they are just breaking down specifically how they justify the cost. So I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion thats a months wages not knowingly what they generate for income in the first place.

Anyone who is earning around $1,000 a month in wages cannot afford the iPhone X. (Fullstop)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
This is how I justify paying over $1,000 for a phone:

Ability to make and receive calls - $20
Ability to send and receive instant messages -$30
Ability to connect to the internet - $10
The look on other people's faces when I tell them I paid over $1,000 for a phone - priceless!

So in other words you're buying it to try to impress people :D
That's a pretty bad reason but whatever you like I guess ;)

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Yeah this is one neat feature of FaceID that I like. However, it can’t compensate for other inconvenience likes using it at an angle, farther distance or landscape detection
Buy a couple of stands with adjustable angle & you're set, for the most part.

Anker Portable Multi-Angle Stand for Tablets, e-readers and Smartphones, Compatible with iPhone X/8/8 Plus/7/7 Plus, Samsung Galaxy S8/S7/Note 8, iPad Pro 9.7/10.5, Air, mini, Pixel 2 and More (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N1VDCGO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_KeonAb11QDCJP

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Funny thing is most people who own iPhone X says Face ID is superior and they will never go back to the outdated Touch ID.

Really? Do you have verified data to back up this claim?

Because I know many people including myself who think otherwise.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
The only way I can justify the price this time is by buying it from my carrier. That way it’s a monthly payment rather than a one off payment and it doesn’t seem as steep.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
iphone x features do not justify $1000. One of the reasons why I sold my X is because I felt as though the phone had nothing special that other smartphones didn't have. I felt like I wasted my money ($1190) on the X. Small screen and face ID was an annoyance. With touch ID it worked 99% of the time. With face ID it worked about 80% of the time.

I sold it and got a note 8 and still had $100 left over from the sale of my X.

I didn't pay over a grand to have to enter my pin to unlock my phone.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Justification:

I work hard, take care of all my bills and responsibilities and have money left over to buy whatever the heck I want, despite what anyone online thinks of the price:D;)

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Squirreladd

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2016
So I had an iPhone 6S plus. Still going strong and fits my needs. However I always like smaller phone. I didn’t go with the regular 6S due to the inferior camera, batter, and the 720p screen. I have had the iPhone X for a week and so far I like it a lot. It fixes all the flaws of the regular 6S. Paying $1250 for it is a bit tough as I got the 6S plus 128gb used last year for $500. Below are how I justify if it’s worth it to upgrade:

New design/ smaller/ easier to hold: $75
Full screen/ brighter sharper screen: $50
Better battery: $50
Wireless charging/ faster with usb C: $35
More powerful: $75
Better rear and front cameras: $75
Waterproof: $25
Bigger storage (256vs 128): $50
Brand new+ warranty: $100
Louder stereo speakers: $25

Total: $560

Note the prices above are how I see the improvements are relatively better than my iPhone 6S plus. For ex, I’m totally fine with 128Gb on the 6s plus so I see it’s only worth $50 more to upgrade to 256gb.

My 6S plus 128Gb is probably worth $350 now. I paid $1250 for the X so that leaves $340 unallocated. I guess this could be allocated to “joy of owning the newest Apple product”? Lol

On the serious side tho, FaceID is inferior to touchID to my opinion...

I look at from the market perspective. What is the value of those features in 2017. Samsung sadly lowered the value on a hardware comparison. Starting with Samsungs note 8 (being fare) let's compare 64gb to 64gb

New design/ smaller/ easier to hold: $nil they should do this periodically
Full screen/ brighter sharper screen: $-100 smaller screen
Better battery: $nil
Wireless charging/ faster with usb C: $-30 charger not included
More powerful: $100 compared to the Samsung it's worth more
Better rear and front cameras: $nil depends on preference about even
Waterproof: $Nil all new flagships have this
Brand new+ warranty: $200 what is updates. Haha.
I would say hardware comparison the iPhone X is at least worth more then it's overpriced direct competition. (As if that means much) not going to go into the subjective argument of software. Hardware can be a little objective.)

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Funny thing is most people who own iPhone X says Face ID is superior and they will never go back to the outdated Touch ID.

It's why they own an X :)

The ones that did not like it would have remained on current unit or bought the 8

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
So I had an iPhone 6S plus. Still going strong and fits my needs. However I always like smaller phone. I didn’t go with the regular 6S due to the inferior camera, batter, and the 720p screen. I have had the iPhone X for a week and so far I like it a lot. It fixes all the flaws of the regular 6S. Paying $1250 for it is a bit tough as I got the 6S plus 128gb used last year for $500. Below are how I justify if it’s worth it to upgrade:

New design/ smaller/ easier to hold: $75
Full screen/ brighter sharper screen: $50
Better battery: $50
Wireless charging/ faster with usb C: $35
More powerful: $75
Better rear and front cameras: $75
Waterproof: $25
Bigger storage (256vs 128): $50
Brand new+ warranty: $100

Total: $560

Note the prices above are how I see the improvements are relatively better than my iPhone 6S plus. For ex, I’m totally fine with 128Gb on the 6s plus so I see it’s only worth $50 more to upgrade to 256gb.

My 6S plus 128Gb is probably worth $350 now. I paid $1250 for the X so that leaves $340 unallocated. I guess this could be allocated to “joy of owning the newest Apple product”? Lol

On the serious side tho, FaceID is inferior to touchID to my opinion...

The X can't be justified. You want it and you're willing to part with that much green to get it.

I could probably do everything I need my iPhone to do with a 5s on iOS 10.3.3, but I don't want to use one even if it's $1K cheaper.

[EDIT TO ADD - I liked my iPhone 5, but I justified getting the 5s for the fingerprint sensor. I justified getting the 6+ for the bigger screen. I can't justify why I got the 6s+ when I was happy with the 6+. I justify getting the 7+ for the water resistance. But I love the 7+ and can't justify my purchase of the X. Now that I have the X, I know that I like face ID more because of how it seamlessly signs me into websites and my 3rd party apps without having to click to log in, but that wasn't why I bought it as I didn't even know that was a thing in the beginning.]

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The only way I can justify the price this time is by buying it from my carrier. That way it’s a monthly payment rather than a one off payment and it doesn’t seem as steep.

And this is likely the Logic by many consumers. And rightfully so, because A thousand dollar iPhone plus tax, not including any accessories is fairly expensive. And the majority don't want to put forth that much money especially given during the holiday season. So a payment plan is much more reasonable for somebody in that situation, unless they have the funds to pay in full . Especially given the costs of what smart phones are today, I also don't see consumers upgrading on an annual basis because of the rising cost of phones.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
And this is likely the Logic by many consumers. And rightfully so, because A thousand dollar iPhone plus tax, not including any accessories is fairly expensive. And the majority don't want to put forth that much money especially given during the holiday season. So a payment plan is much more reasonable for somebody in that situation, unless they have the funds to pay in full . Especially given the costs of what smart phones are today, I also don't see consumers upgrading on an annual basis because of the rising cost of phones.
I bought my last two phones form Apple direct and paid in full upfront (7 plus, 6S plus). However whilst I had the funds to do it this time I just thought it was extortionate, especially in comparison to competing products. Although I’ve tried the note 8 and it wasn’t for me, the tech in the note and the iPhone X is comparable. Then I had to factor in the fact that I’d most likely want the new iPhone next year and the year after. Am I willing to spend £1,000 every year on a phone?

So I tried the note 8, it wasn’t for me. Then I thought ok, what I’ll do is pay off my note 8 at my carrier because it doesn’t make sense to be paying for a phone every month you don’t even have. So I paid off the note 8 and bought the iPhone X from my carrier. Even doing that still worked out cheaper than buying the iPhone X upfront. I’m now on a yearly upgrade programme with my carrier so I can get the next iPhone each year. That makes more economical sense to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.