Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ncatona

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2023
Hello Everyone!

For the record my 13 pro is fully updated as of July 24 2023 and my total phone storage was at 91GB today. My phone is a 512GB model and I use it to make content on social media primarily for Instagram, YouTube and TikTok and I also consume content as well. So today for some reason I decided to uninstall instagram because it didn't work properly and iOS 16.5 made them allow for special tracking since they gave me a notification about it. After I uninstalled it and restarted my iPhone 13 Pro, I checked and my system data literally dropped 20GB! Instagram was hogging all that data and I have multiple accounts on there so that could explain it, but that app was on the phone for well over a year without being cleared. I then continued with other social media apps, Spotify streaming music, and gmail and chrome etc just other potential candidates and after reinstalling them all back I can say my system data is now sitting around 25-26GB total. Way better than the apple techs saying restart your iPhone or delete photos/heavy apps because now I know these smaller apps hold a bunch of cache.

The total phone storage is now at 62GB compared to 91GB earlier today!

Please let me know your thoughts and what else you thinking could be hiding beneath the surface of our system storage hoarding apps!

Last edited:

ncatona

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2023
System Data used to always be a heavy thing and at one point was over 60GB on my iPhone 13 Pro. It's insanely wild that apps don't show you this storage use and that is heavily misleading to everyone, it looks like a 250mb file, when behind the scenes it hogs 20 flipping GBS!?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.