Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2019
So, yesterday I received in my first MacBook Pro. I don't have a lot of money, so I bought a 15" 2010 with the first generation i5. Not bad for what I use it for, mostly web browsing! I have been getting by with a late 2008 13" MacBook unibody that suffered from random freezes often. So I get the machine in and upgrade it to its latest OS which is High Sierra and just go through it and try it out. It's perfect but it gets a little hot. Tear it apart like anyone else would and replace the thermal paste that dried up into an almost clay like substance. Throw it back together and fire it up... and nothing. I get a white screen with a chime. I try a bunch of troubleshooting things and decide to rip it apart again just to make sure something weird didn't happen and... break a cable that looks like it must be for the camera. Well, this is just awful, but I continue to tear it apart and just "redo" everything just to make sure it's not something silly. put it back together, this time minus the camera... and nothing - no chime and no white screen, just a black screen.

So I basically broke a 9/10 MacBook because I did something that I have done about a dozen or more times to MacBook, and even more to all other laptops. The kicker is the going price for these in working order is around 300, and I broke one.

Now I debate on how to proceed. I can't return it to the seller because I took it apart, and I trashed the display because of the cut cable, but I don't want to replace the display if I don't know what happen to the logic board because they are going for just as much as the whole machine was.

We have 5 MacBooks in the household, which is why I opt for older hardware.

Should I drop another 300 and get the same machine so at the least I'll have some parts for it, or should I start saving up and get something considerably newer? What would you do?

I'd prefer to replace this laptop on the "cheap" by getting one just like it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Tear it apart like anyone else would
Actually no, I don't think many people would opt for that simply because of this:
fire it up... and nothing.

Well sadly your options are limited. I would take apart the machine,try cleaning it up and inspecting it, making sure nothing appears to be damaged or out of place. Short of that, I think your only option is to replace it, as it is a 10 year old machine. Whether you get another old one or a newer one is a personal choice

Good luck

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2019
Actually no, I don't think many people would opt for that simply because of this:

Well sadly your options are limited. I would take apart the machine,try cleaning it up and inspecting it, making sure nothing appears to be damaged or out of place. Short of that, I think your only option is to replace it, as it is a 10 year old machine. Whether you get another old one or a newer one is a personal choice

Good luck

It will join the pile of really nice looking but old machines that don't work. Maybe one day I'll put them on display. lol Regarding the thermal paste, it's been the normal for me and this is the first time I have ever had any issues. Granted, I will probably reconsider future scenarios like this.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
I would opt for something a little bit newer than a 2010 if you can make it happen. There are some good deals out there on eBay and Swappa for models that are a little bit more current. Sorry about your luck with the 2010, that really stinks.

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
So, yesterday I received in my first MacBook Pro. I don't have a lot of money, so I bought a 15" 2010 with the first generation i5. Not bad for what I use it for, mostly web browsing! I have been getting by with a late 2008 13" MacBook unibody that suffered from random freezes often. So I get the machine in and upgrade it to its latest OS which is High Sierra and just go through it and try it out. It's perfect but it gets a little hot. Tear it apart like anyone else would and replace the thermal paste that dried up into an almost clay like substance. Throw it back together and fire it up... and nothing. I get a white screen with a chime. I try a bunch of troubleshooting things and decide to rip it apart again just to make sure something weird didn't happen and... break a cable that looks like it must be for the camera. Well, this is just awful, but I continue to tear it apart and just "redo" everything just to make sure it's not something silly. put it back together, this time minus the camera... and nothing - no chime and no white screen, just a black screen.

So I basically broke a 9/10 MacBook because I did something that I have done about a dozen or more times to MacBook, and even more to all other laptops. The kicker is the going price for these in working order is around 300, and I broke one.

Now I debate on how to proceed. I can't return it to the seller because I took it apart, and I trashed the display because of the cut cable, but I don't want to replace the display if I don't know what happen to the logic board because they are going for just as much as the whole machine was.

We have 5 MacBooks in the household, which is why I opt for older hardware.

Should I drop another 300 and get the same machine so at the least I'll have some parts for it, or should I start saving up and get something considerably newer? What would you do?

for 300 you probably can just get a new 2010 macbook? atleast here in my country those are worth maximim 150

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2019
for 300 you probably can just get a new 2010 macbook? atleast here in my country those are worth maximim 150

That's about what they are worth in average condition, but this was in like new condition. Also, something weird with COVID caused used computer prices to skyrocket.
[automerge]1597282538[/automerge]
Does it work with a external monitor?

Carefully examine the LVDS connector and cable for possible damage.

Nope. I tried even with the power connected and open and closed on my regular monitor.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
If it does not work with an external monitor, chances are something in the motherboard is "done".

You might have shorted something with the new thermal paste, or a cable must have been yanked at the wrong spot, or your RAM is dead, or the HDD is seeing its makers. Any amount of problem can exist in that machine right now.

So getting a new one is basically your only option now if connecting an external monitor does not work. That's the last line of defense in hope that you'd just need a new display.

If you get one of the newer Macs, please do be aware that anything that has been upgraded past Mojave is buggy as hell, and also anything past 2012 is fragile as hell. Especially past 2016, you shouldn't even bother opening the MacBook up because there is absolutely nothing you can replace in there, and you might as well forget about the thermal paste because even with the best thermal paste, those machines will still overheat like crazy.

So that's the state of the recent Macs. Apple said they still care. I'm not sure to what extent... but I'm pushed closer to Windows laptops every single day.

Reactions: amgff84

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2019
If it does not work with an external monitor, chances are something in the motherboard is "done".

You might have shorted something with the new thermal paste, or a cable must have been yanked at the wrong spot, or your RAM is dead, or the HDD is seeing its makers. Any amount of problem can exist in that machine right now.

So getting a new one is basically your only option now if connecting an external monitor does not work. That's the last line of defense in hope that you'd just need a new display.

If you get one of the newer Macs, please do be aware that anything that has been upgraded past Mojave is buggy as hell, and also anything past 2012 is fragile as hell. Especially past 2016, you shouldn't even bother opening the MacBook up because there is absolutely nothing you can replace in there, and you might as well forget about the thermal paste because even with the best thermal paste, those machines will still overheat like crazy.

So that's the state of the recent Macs. Apple said they still care. I'm not sure to what extent... but I'm pushed closer to Windows laptops every single day.

Windows laptops are not Macs. I tried... Just missed the Macs too much. I run Catalina on my Hackintosh and it's fine, everything works well. It doubles as my gaming rig but most of my time is spent in Mac OS. I am eyeballing a few 2012 MacBooks so they will still be supported for at least a few more years under Catalina.

Reactions: bill-p

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Yeah, all that was just to say... my experience with Apple keeps going downhill ever since 2012.

The 16" MacBook that I have now rebounds back up to around 2015 level, but that's going backwards, and still not up to par with the "best years" between 2010 - 2012.

And all indications point to Apple wanting to exert even more control on my computer.

If it comes to a point where I no longer feel like my computer is my own anymore (meaning I can't just install what I want on it), then that's when I'll switch to a Windows laptop and run Linux on it.

Reactions: amgff84

zackkitzmiller

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2007
Also, something weird with COVID caused used computer prices to skyrocket.

The "weird" part is probably the bit where 100% of people who can work or school from home need a reasonable computer on a budget because of the weird part where the economy is ****ed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.