Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ksksks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2002
Take a look at this ...

Attachments

• raid.jpg
    raid.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,826

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
RAID? I'm thinking so. So you got anymore info on this pic? Where'd you find it, what are the specs, etc.

D

ksksks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2002
In Paris at the Expo ... no prizes ... no release date ... no announcements ... but it was there on the Apple stand. Indeed a X-serve based raid system.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Yes please, where did you come by this image. It does indeed look like a RAID, a big one at that! My only thought is that it would have front screws at the corners, not just in the middle... other than that, it certainly doesn't look fake...

:)
pnw

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by paulwhannel
Yes please, where did you come by this image. It does indeed look like a RAID, a big one at that! My only thought is that it would have front screws at the corners, not just in the middle... other than that, it certainly doesn't look fake...

pnw

it's not fake. There was an XRaid photo back when the XServer was released.

arn

gbojim

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2002
Ummm

Unless I'm missing some sarcasm here, this was announced with the XServe back in May. Ship time is late this year.

ksksks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2002
Believe me it is not fake !!!I have touched it !! And it realy looks COOL !!

lou tsee

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2002
switzerland
OFF COURSE THEY'RE REAL!!

we'v all seen this thing during the introduction of the 1U xserver in mai.
there were pictures of steve posing in front of the 1U as well as the
3U raid-server....

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2002
My [rediction is this: Because OS X.1.x supported only UP TO 120 GB drives, that's all they gave it. But being Jaguar can support pretty much any-sized drive, I think that they will soon replace them with 200+ GB drives (the 200 GB drives are out now, Maxtor has 320 GB ones coming soon) How about an Xserver with 800 GB of storage? Not too bad I think :) (Or that RAID! 14*200 = 1800 GB!!)

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
www.apple.com

It was on the apple website when the xserver was first shipped... they took it off after a day or so.. it was still in early dev. It's a 2GB Firbre channel Disk array... im guessing that it has hardware RAID and some kind of chashing system.

-evildead

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
wow i didnt pay a bit of attention i guess... kind of embarassing... i suppose since i have no use for an xserve, i wasn't poking around much... its still freaking cool... anyone know the speeds of the hard drives in it? its gotta run hot...

pnw

davidc2182

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2001
Sin City
jdt 1.4 @ apple

whats this new product that someone asked about near the end of the Xserve demonstration in the Q and A session when one of the apple hightops says that apple doesn't discuss future products but to expect it in the not too distant future? and i love how he regards inkwell as the best handwriting recognition in the world which came from as steve put it "you know what" the newton! so whatsup people can anyone shed some light on jdt 1.4?

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
I thought he said JDK 1.4...

In any case, I'm sure he was asking about Java version 1.4, which is the current version. Hopefully it will be available soon for Mac OS X.

Jaguar ships with Java version 1.3.1.

Is it just me, or does there appear to be a lot of color variation in the front panel sections on the various Xserves?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.