Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I bought the iPad mini 6 on the day it was released and use it all the time. I was flirting with buying an iPad Air to replace it when I saw Amazon have the 256GB mini (in Starlight only) for 27% off, so £540 instead of £749.

My plan would be to sell my existing mini. Music Magpie is offering £230, though I’ll try eBay first.

So for around £300 I’m getting a new battery, a storage bump and an exiting new colour (my existing one is Space Grey). Oh, and one that doesn’t have a scratch on the bezel (whoops).

Smart, right?

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Yeah, it's smart on paper. But what's special about the Mini is the portability aspect of it... and once you replace it with the Air, you kind of lose it.

And it all depends on what you value... portability or extra screen real estate. It's entirely up to you...

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I bought the iPad mini 6 on the day it was released and use it all the time. I was flirting with buying an iPad Air to replace it when I saw Amazon have the 256GB mini (in Starlight only) for 27% off, so £540 instead of £749.

My plan would be to sell my existing mini. Music Magpie is offering £230, though I’ll try eBay first.

So for around £300 I’m getting a new battery, a storage bump and an exiting new colour (my existing one is Space Grey). Oh, and one that doesn’t have a scratch on the bezel (whoops).

Smart, right?
Financially wise? No.

In your calculation you didn't account for the initial price paid for that first Mini 6. When you factor that in for your "total out-of-pocket", you end up paying nearly the full 540... essentially ending up with 0 for the original Mini. (the picture can look worse depending upon what you paid for that first Mini 6)

But if you can afford it and you want it, then that's what counts.

Reactions: Digitalguy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.