Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 1, 2018
Checking Craigslist/Kijiji/Ebay prices for the iPhone X, it seems like this is a great opportunity to buy the phone at a big discount. Resale value of the X is tanking. I've never seen resale value of iPhone's drop this much, and it could be because of various things like the newer models releasing or how the X has been completely discontinued. I've seen the X sell for pretty much the same price as the 8 Plus.

Yes the XS is better than the X in every-way but that's not to take away from the X being a bad phone, it's still a damn good phone that should more than satisfy a person's needs. Also, the one and only thing that the X has that's better than the XS is the price (used), which is usually the factor that people care about most.

Checking Kijiji, I've seen X's go for around $850 Canadian. In like new condition, with all accessories, and best of all warranty remaining. I'm tempted to upgrade from my SE.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
Do not buy a iPhone X on eBay stay away. From eBay if your going too buy a iPhone X get it on swappa.com

But stay away from eBay at all costs when buying iPhones

Reactions: bruinsrme

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 1, 2018
Do not buy a iPhone X on eBay stay away. From eBay if your going too buy a iPhone X get it on swappa.com

But stay away from eBay at all costs when buying iPhones
Yeah I'm not a fan of Ebay either but I was just checking it out to see the current market prices of the X.

If anyone does buy a phone from Ebay, make sure you buy it from a store with excellent feedback.

erpetao

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
It's a great time to buy an 8 Plus too. Apple is selling them at £850 (256GB), I found a seller selling it for £600 (seller with top rating 100% and more than 100k feedback), grade A. On top of that, Ebay had a sale with 10% off anything you bought (up to £50 discount).

So I managed to get the phone for £550. Best part is when it arrived, I inspected it and it's new. No marks whatsoever, no dust anywhere. Battery health marked as 100%.

So I got £300 off a new iPhone 8 Plus.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
On. eBay you be scammed On swappa They have you right down a listening code and be for you are allowed too list all so they don’t allow any phone too be put on the site if the phone is not paid off

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
Ebay can be ok if your careful. As the buyer you do have the money back guarantee if anything is wrong with the phone and there's nothing to stop you from doing an IMEI check when you get it. The check costs £1.99 on Checkmend.

Bootleg Gucci

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
NoVA
Yesterday I sold my iphone X 256 SG for $800 cash to a local CL buyer. I agree the resale value is going down, but this is expected. My pricing was fair because Apple Stores have clearing out sale for X.

If planning to upgrade iPhone every year, I use a rough calculation to see if I come out ahead of AUP trade in.

For example: 11/2017 - paid in full iPhone X ~ $1218 after tax (no Apple Care)
09/2018 sold iPX $800
Cost $418 for 11 months usage

AUP - $1218/24 months (2 yr installment term at $50.75/month)

If trading in after 1 year or (hypothetically say 11 months) x $50.75 = $558.25 total cost at this point in time. But this doesn't include the mandatory Apple Care at $199 for duration of the term (To make it a fair comparison, I just excluded it).

However, the convenience of AUP (and not having to deal with safely selling to strangers on your own) is worth the premium IMO.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Yesterday I sold my iphone X 256 SG for $800 cash to a local CL buyer. I agree the resale value is going down, but this is expected. My pricing was fair because Apple Stores have clearing out sale for X.

If planning to upgrade iPhone every year, I use a rough calculation to see if I come out ahead of AUP trade in.

For example: 11/2017 - paid in full iPhone X ~ $1218 after tax (no Apple Care)
09/2018 sold iPX $800
Cost $418 for 11 months usage

AUP - $1218/24 months (2 yr installment term at $50.75/month)

If trading in after 1 year or (hypothetically say 11 months) x $50.75 = $558.25 total cost at this point in time. But this doesn't include the mandatory Apple Care at $199 for duration of the term (To make it a fair comparison, I just excluded it).

However, the convenience of AUP (and not having to deal with safely selling to strangers on your own) is worth the premium IMO.
I just wish you could do it with full payment. I don’t want a credit check and a loan and monthly payments for a damn phone...

YoitsTmac

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
Ebay can be ok if your careful. As the buyer you do have the money back guarantee if anything is wrong with the phone and there's nothing to stop you from doing an IMEI check when you get it. The check costs £1.99 on Checkmend.
This. Just ask the seller clarifying questions to cover your own a**. I'm about to buy one for $625, sprint iPhone X. "No scratches and no nicks on body." If it's not that, eBay or PayPal will back the transaction. Being on the other side of one of these cases with a client, it seems eBay just always sides with the buyer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.