Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphoneuser227

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2017

Upon first look, it's a regular video. But, whenever the camera switches from the guys on the couch to their hands on the phone, note that the skin color sometimes changes and the hand holding the phone sometimes switches, rendering the video fake clickbait.

HOWEVER, it's going viral and the owner is deleting comments calling it out to be fake. Just thought I'd share so you guys all know it's fake in case you stumble upon it.

(0:55-1:00 is the best example)

Last edited:

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Identical twins. Identical. Not fraternal twins.

I don’t get the uproar. Doesn’t there HAVE to be a minute level of differential in FaceID to account for someone waking up with puffy eyes, a cut on their face, a shiner or fat lip, and so on....?

Identical twins for the most part, would be an example of minute daily facial changes, right.?

A small cut on your finger won’t negate your fingerprint with TouchID, would it? Anyone wanna try and verify that? :)

I’m really kind of uninformed about the issue, but that’s how I see it.

Reactions: LiemTa

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
To me, videos like this (which I do not see as fake/others have replicated the results) prove how FaceID is a less secure authentication method then TouchID. Sure identical twins are only a small portion of the population but consider the fact that it is far easier to replicate someones face then it is to replicate their fingerprint and then you likely start to see the issue here...

gabo864

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I don't see why anyone would have to fake this and why is it a big deal if a twin can unlock it?! THEY MENTIONED THIS IN THE ACTUAL KEYNOTE BACK IN SEPTEMBER!!!

and I quote

“…statistics for face ID are one in a million, the chance that a random person in the population could look at your iPhone 10 and unlock it with your face is about one in a million... and of course the statistics are lower if that person shares a close genetic relationship with you so for example if you happen to have an evil twin, you really need to protect your passcode”

I don't get why people make a big deal out of something that was already known! I see comments like "OH Big oops from Apple" or "I guess they didn't think about twins" UM they did and that's why they brought it up!

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
To throw Apple haters a bone, perhaps- it's been a rough stretch for them!

Or perhaps it is just a poorly edited video that shows a flaw in a $1000 phone?? The point is other publications and reviewers have replicated the results and even Apple admitted during the keynote that identical twins would be an issue.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
To me, videos like this (which I do not see as fake/others have replicated the results) prove how FaceID is a less secure authentication method then TouchID. Sure identical twins are only a small portion of the population but consider the fact that it is far easier to replicate someones face then it is to replicate their fingerprint and then you likely start to see the issue here...
Subjective.

I’m gonna say lifting a fingerprint and duplicating it onto a sensor is easier than duplicating a 3D Face.

Maybe I’m wrong?

iphoneuser227

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2017
Or perhaps it is just a poorly edited video that shows a flaw in a $1000 phone?? The point is other publications and reviewers have replicated the results and even Apple admitted during the keynote that identical twins would be an issue.
I'm sorry, but somebody changing races between camera angles multiple times isn't "poor editing", it's faking a video to get views.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008

Lol, it’s a non issue. When’s the last time you replicated someones face? You can fake a fingerprint far easier than a face. I will wait for the Hollywood makeup artists and special fx people to see if faceid is just as secure.

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
Subjective.

I’m gonna say lifting a fingerprint and duplications it onto a sensor is easier than duplicating a 3D Face.

Maybe I’m wrong?

It is a bit more difficult to fool touchID then just lifting the print. TouchID needs depth to the print like an actual finger and not an image of one. So a mold would have to be created for that to happen.

A full 3D face would be much simpler by comparison (provided you had the data required). A consumer desktop 3D printer could likely do a good enough job in replicating a face to fool the sensor (again provided having the required data) From what I can tell from Apples specs page, FaceID works on IR only so all you should need to is replicate the 3D structure.

Dmal99

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
Ya but Wall St. journal proved identical twins unlock it.

Although, they also made a Hollywood quality mask of the user's face and added shading etc to make it look perfectly real, and after many different tries, it DIDN'T unlock the iPhone X. So.....

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
To throw Apple haters a bone, perhaps- it's been a rough stretch for them!
hmm.
but Apple themselves have said twins may unlock iPhone X together... the video shows examples of that.

idk, i don’t think it’s fake.

further, your evidence of changing skin tones and whatnot are irrelevant.

that’s just how they edited the video. they had some shots overlooking their shoulders and some from head on.. then they edit the video this way to make it a little more interesting/watchable than just putting a single camera on a tripod and pushing record.

also, look at their reactions when the phone first unlocks for the other..
do those reactions look genuine to you? or acting?

iphoneuser227

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2017
Ya but Wall St. journal proved identical twins unlock it.
I'm not disputing that. Identical twins can work it out- but this video itself was not made honestly. That was the point of the post
[doublepost=1509502956][/doublepost]
No its called poor lighting.....
You're honestly gonna look at the guys on the couch and their supposed wrists and tell me that it's just a result of lighting? If so, I have nothing more to say on the matter
[doublepost=1509503011][/doublepost]Watch from 0:55-1:00, that's probably the best skin tone evidence I have

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
Lol, it’s a non issue. When’s the last time you replicated someones face? You can fake a fingerprint far easier than a face. I will wait for the Hollywood makeup artists and special fx people to see if faceid is just as secure.

Thats not my point... Obviously I don't see that ever happening. My point is you have gone from an authentication method that is specific to an individual (your finger prints are your own) to an authentication method that simply won't work for a portion of the population. FaceID is not a step forward. At best it is a step to the side and at worst it is a step backwards...

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016
Thats not my point... Obviously I don't see that ever happening. My point is you have gone from an authentication method that is specific to an individual (your finger prints are your own) to an authentication method that simply won't work for a portion of the population. FaceID is not a step forward. At best it is a step to the side and at worst it is a step backwards...
...what? What portion of the population won’t it work for?

Reactions: mcdj

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
It is a bit more difficult to fool touchID then just lifting the print. TouchID needs depth to the print like an actual finger and not an image of one. So a mold would have to be created for that to happen.

A full 3D face would be much simpler by comparison (provided you had the data required). A consumer desktop 3D printer could likely do a good enough job in replicating a face to fool the sensor (again provided having the required data) From what I can tell from Apples specs page, FaceID works on IR only so all you should need to is replicate the 3D structure.
Glove. Not a mold.

Still easier than replicating a Face, no?

We should try it.

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
I'm not disputing that. Identical twins can work it out- but this video itself was not made honestly. That was the point of the post
[doublepost=1509502956][/doublepost]
You're honestly gonna look at the guys on the couch and their supposed wrists and tell me that it's just a result of lighting? If so, I have nothing more to say on the matter
[doublepost=1509503011][/doublepost]Watch from 0:55-1:00, that's probably the best skin tone evidence I have

Poor lighting and poor editing? Thats what I see? And again, others have replicated the results so this video is not misleading people like you claim in the OP.
[doublepost=1509503269][/doublepost]
...what? What portion of the population won’t it work for?

..... Identical twins...... Let me clarify, it will work but one (or more) will be able to unlock your phone where they wouldn't have been able to with TouchID.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Identical twins. Identical. Not fraternal twins.

I don’t get the uproar. Doesn’t there HAVE to be a minute level of differential in FaceID to account for someone waking up with puffy eyes, a cut on their face, a shiner or fat lip, and so on....?

Identical twins for the most part, would be an example of minute daily facial changes, right.?

A small cut on your finger won’t negate your fingerprint with TouchID, would it? Anyone wanna try and verify that? :)

I’m really kind of uninformed about the issue, but that’s how I see it.

That’s cause you don’t have an evil twin.

Reactions: Steve686

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016
Poor lighting and poor editing? Thats what I see? And again, others have replicated the results so this video is not misleading people like you claim in the OP.
[doublepost=1509503269][/doublepost]

..... Identical twins...... Let me clarify, it will work but one (or more) will be able to unlock your phone where they wouldn't have been able to with TouchID.
We have an incredibly small sample size of sets of twins with which this has been tested and at worst...the results are mixed. You act as if there has been conclusive proof. Not even remotely close.

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US
Glove. Not a mold.

Still easier than replicating a Face, no?

We should try it.

Please do. 3D print a scan of your face on a desktop 3D printer and then try and replicated a 3D fingerprint without a mold or imprint.

Again... Obviously this is an extreme case and I was making a point... TouchID was a more secure authentication method the FaceID plain and simple.... Was it a more convenient method? That is subjective.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008

Are you just saying things for the sake of saying them?

1 out of 1,000,00 for Face ID security vs 1 out of 50,000 for Touch ID. I’ll take Face ID.

I can also attest to being able to unlock someone’s phone without them being aware (passed out), using their fingerprint. You can’t do that with Face ID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.