Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
New York
What are your thoughts on the voice texting and the video messaging? I think its a ton of crap and has no need. I will never send this way and hope I will never receive text this way. And on the lock screen do you need to type in the password or use touch ID to get the back sliding and sending voice text thing. If not its kinda creepy anyone can pick up your phone and send anything to any of the text of the lock screen.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
What are your thoughts on the voice texting and the video messaging? I think its a ton of crap and has no need. I will never send this way and hope I will never receive text this way. And on the lock screen do you need to type in the password or use touch ID to get the back sliding and sending voice text thing. If not its kinda creepy anyone can pick up your phone and send anything to any of the text of the lock screen.

Thought: Don’t use it.

Alonso Quijano

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2013
I'll definitely use it.

It'll really be so much easier being able to send voice messages while I drive rather than risk a crash texting.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
I'll definitely use it.

It'll really be so much easier being able to send voice messages while I drive rather than risk a crash texting.

Yeah, I was thinking about driving too. That, and walking through airports dragging a bag behind me. It's so easy just to lift the phone and talk. It removes a lot of barriers to communicating sporadically on the go. Very slick.

I wonder how long it will be before it speaks your "text" texts to you and then automatically transcribes your spoken response back into text for the other party? They could be typing and you could be speaking and neither of you would know or care.

This could be big. Lots of real-world use cases.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
It almost sounds like integrated Snapchat since the messages disappear after a while unless you save them. It'll probably be popular with Tweens and teens.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Think of it as a 1 way phone call. Say what you have to say without having to listen to the other person nor go through the formalities of a phone call if you don't have the time and also don't feel like typing out a lengthy text.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Because dictation is always accurate right?

I have siri turned off anyways. With voice messages I don't have to worry about Dictated Messages being butchered

Siri isn't dictation. But it can perform dictation if that's what you're asking.

----------

Think of it as a 1 way phone call. Say what you have to say without having to listen to the other person nor go through the formalities of a phone call if you don't have the time and also don't feel like typing out a lengthy text.

and you can make it self destruct right?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Siri isn't dictation. But it can perform dictation if that's what you're asking.

----------

and you can make it self destruct right?

not sure about the self-destruct part yet I'm focused on other issues Im trying to figure out right now on iOS 8

cariacou

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
it looks like Apple tried to create a SnapChat-like app integrated in iMessage.
Or maybe a voicemail integration ?

noisechat will never work though...

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I'll definitely use it.

I don't understand people who text while driving, eating dinner, hanging out with friends, 'spending time' with their kids, etc. Is what you have to text so important that you would imperil your life and the lives of others instead of just waiting until you're out of the car? I don't mean to pick on you specifically, just your comment struck me as odd. Why anyone would "risk a crash texting" is beyond me. :(

Alonso Quijano

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2013
I don't understand people who text while driving, eating dinner, hanging out with friends, 'spending time' with their kids, etc. Is what you have to text so important that you would imperil your life and the lives of others instead of just waiting until you're out of the car? I don't mean to pick on you specifically, just your comment struck me as odd. Why anyone would "risk a crash texting" is beyond me. :(

1. I drive an hour every morning and evening on the way to school and back home. I drive on absolutely straight rode 99% of the way with multiple lanes, and this isn't even an interstate or a highway.

When I have to text I try to be smart about it.

2. Some people have important business that can not wait until you see someone face-to-face. Especially when one's driving takes two hours out of their day daily.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
1. I drive an hour every morning and evening on the way to school and back home. I drive on absolutely straight rode 99% of the way with multiple lanes, and this isn't even an interstate or a highway.

2. Some people have important business that can not wait until you see someone face-to-face. Especially when one's driving takes two hours out of their day daily.

Fair enough. My commute takes about an hour, too (by train though, as I live in Tokyo) so I know what it's like. Although your comment about having important business requiring instant communication is kind of funny, when you think about the fact that civilisation has gotten along just fine without texting for thousands of years.

Anyway, back OT: the voice texting thing is not something I plan on using often, as it will be far less discreet than typing messages.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI

Headset, click little button and send text via siri. She will even read it back to you.

Yes a text can always wait!!

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR

Well and the whole it's illegal to text and drive thing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.