Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
The only way it could redeem itself is if Apple updated the product inline with the current design language. Maybe they'll do that with M3?
No. There’s not going to be an update for the 13” MacBook Pro. It was a stopgap till the new designs were ready and to appease the people who liked the Touch Bar. There is no reason to buy that over the 13” MacBook Air. Oh active cooling? I don’t think so because you can’t even get a Pro chip with it, so what’s the point? If you’re trying to shave off 30 seconds from your render times with active cooling, then you’re probably looking at a MacBook with a pro chip that could do it in significantly less time.

I’m fairly certain that even a 13” MacBook Air is going to go bye bye.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Oh active cooling? I don’t think so because you can’t even get a Pro chip with it, so what’s the point? If you’re trying to shave off 30 seconds from your render times with active cooling, then you’re probably looking at a MacBook with a pro chip that could do it in significantly less time.

I’m fairly certain that even a 13” MacBook Air is going to go bye bye.
You're right on both counts. Keeping the line up simple will be the best bet. But even Apple on stage when questioned about it couldn't really keep a straight face.

Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
You're right on both counts. Keeping the line up simple will be the best bet. But even Apple on stage when questioned about it couldn't really keep a straight face.
I think they’re just keeping it so they can sell because some customers want it. I mean does having it in the lineup hurt someone that wants to buy a 14” MacBook Pro? I mean if someone is that confused where they don’t know if they need a 13” or 14” MacBook Pro I would say hold off on the purchase. They’re not even similar, so one shouldn’t be confused with the other.

I think Apple is going to discontinue the old design MacBook Pro and Air models soon. I’m thinking when the M3 comes out for the Air, then Apple is going to be left with a decision to either upgrade the old style Air and Pro or discontinue them. I think they’re going to discontinue them because at that point anyone who wanted one had their chance and maybe the prices of the newer models will seem more reasonable. I think it’s going to go to the same way as the iPad. Right now they’re keeping the old model as a budget alternative but eventually it’s going to be phased out.

Reactions: DHagan4755

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
It reminds me of Apple keeping the 2012 13" MacBook Pro around for way longer than anyone expected. Perhaps educational institutions are still buying these, someone else might be able to confirm.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
It reminds me of Apple keeping the 2012 13" MacBook Pro around for way longer than anyone expected. Perhaps educational institutions are still buying these, someone else might be able to confirm.
I believe it was due to something like that indeed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.